RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Online Connections

Rep:
Level 88
I'm scared of my grandma. Wouldn't you be?
Ok I've read the tutorial and broken down the examples for online multiplayer games from the official yoyo games website, And I fully understand everything it's telling me to do and how to set everything up. But once I do it says that there is never a session available for any of the connection types. The examples (Pong and Chat) don't even work. And now I'm stumped. It always says it couldn't initiate an IPX Connection, and none of the IP Addresses I use for TCP/IP work. I even used the IP Address that I get from the function mplay_ipaddress(). I guess what I need is an understanding of IPX and TCP/IP to actually know how to get those connections to work. The tutorial is very vague and I was wondering if anyone could help. Thanks ahead of time.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:42:21 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 86
1+1=fun but 2+2 now thats just crazy!
Are you trying to test this with a friend or just on your computer?
Ah after trying to join about 50 times the It finally worked wow if only the game maker games here were less BASIC, but hey the rpg maker games are the best!

Rep:
Level 88
I have two computers. One upstairs and one downstairs. I'm trying to get it to work in-between them. It always says no session available. I also tried it with a friend who lives a good distance away.

Rep:
Level 90
I don't really know much about game maker, but do you have a router? Also is a firewall blocking the connections?

Rep:
Level 88
I have a Netgear wireless router. And for some of the tests I turned my firewall off. Some I didn't because my computers asked me if it was alright to allow the program to access the internet and I accepted it.

Rep:
Level 86
Did you get it figured out? I'm would like to understand it more if you did.

Rep:
Level 88
Did you get it figured out? I'm would like to understand it more if you did.

No I haven't figured it out...I didn't get any help ans I messed with it a little bit and I haven't woked on it since.

Rep:
Level 86
I can understand that no one wants to help with gm for some reason or other. If I figure it out I'll be sure to let you know, I haven't tried anything related to it except download the tutorial and try the chat. (which it worked kind of I guess cause I was putting text message in the game area.)

Rep:
Level 88
That would be great. I'll probably mess around with it a little bit later. Right now I'm gonna try to finish up the single player part of my game. I already planned out the online part. I just need to get the connections to work. I'll fill you in if I find anything as well.

Rep:
Level 86
Well I sent you a PM and I think I have it figured out a bit better, just need another player if you have the time.

Rep:
Level 88
Ok sounds good. At least we got the chat to work from you IP Address. There's still hope. It's just the router problem that's still getting me. I have too many IP Addresses!  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah it was workin' alright, now I'm attempting to put the game and the chat together.  I think I'm over half way done though, needed to take a bit of a break. Soon as it's ready I'll get in touch with you. Also I know I read something about routers a bit ago, I'll check into that, I think it has something to do with ports, or sud-ID addresses, I can't quite remember, but we'll see what I turn up.

EDIT:(I'll get back in touch with you tomorrow to try and help with your dilemma, I'm pretty sure what to do.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:51:03 AM by Lab_Zero »

Rep:
Level 86
I have gotten further into online capabilities, I now have a 2-player game funtioning(with simple commands like moving, and jumping nothing major). Just having a problem with sending info smoothly, I guess. If player1 jumps it's smooth on my end, but on the 2nd players screen I kinda bounce up and down about 4-5 pixels until I land on the 2nd players screen. Any ideas on why and how I can fix it?

Rep:
Level 89
whats your aim in the end? like an mmo or just a small multiplayer, cuz if its an mmo and you know how im gonna be forum stalking you D:<
Dead Boys Don't Say No.

For charsheets, Tilesets etc click below. Lots of Pokemon stuff! Feedback welcome, for customs message me.
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/DarkWolfStudios2005/

Rep:
Level 86
Well I was shooting more towards the mmo type, I'm not sure about J-Crew though.

Rep:
Level 89
i ended up starting my own MMO, so im all good :D
Dead Boys Don't Say No.

For charsheets, Tilesets etc click below. Lots of Pokemon stuff! Feedback welcome, for customs message me.
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/DarkWolfStudios2005/