RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
"ORIGIN" >DEMO< Future/Metaphysical RPG

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
DEMO DOWNLOAD : http://www.savefile.com/download/1123781?PHPSESSID=

Hello
(I just realized there is another game called "Origin" further down the forum, this is a different game)

I've had this game sitting on my computer for some time, recently found it and decided to fix it up for demo purposes in the hopes that I'd get some feedback and even possibly someone might want to help me out a bit developing the story/characters and giving advice or whatever they have to offer.

STORY: (Theoretically)

Beyond human knowledge there are endless planes of existence, some housing malicious spirits/entities which through manipulative and unknown methods alter the very nature of existence itself, including our world.
It is from these spirits (called Xodians) that the impregnation of humankind with technologies which only served to eventually decimate planet Earth spawned.
And now the Xodians have came into possession a highly delicate dimensional "tool" only called "The Abstraction" which could be used to transform any paradigm of existence at the users will, if they could control it, of course.
Fortunately there are counter spirits (called Pholians) who serve to balance the fluctuations of evil power.
These ethereal ongoings are timeless and space less, it is a plane which exists only as property and not quantity.

In the physical world, we are in the year 2193 C.E., humankind has launched a last ditch colonization space vessel (called Caravel) in an attempt to propagate the race a little bit longer by colonizing a distant planetary system...supposedly,surely enough there are to be Xodian influences behind these actions...
The player is a pilot of a research vessel inside the Caravel, his general duties are to navigate a small craft to and from passing planets and ferry researches for biological and atmospheric study, he also happens to experience disturbing and vivid dreams in which he feels a pull from "other worlds", he will later discover he has a pivotal role in bridging physical and ethereal worlds and saving existence from sure destruction!
The Caravel will end up encountering a new-world phenomena incited by the meddling of the Abstraction which will split the Caravel into 3 different time frames (beyond anyones knowing) causing one Caravel to crash land on a neighboring moon instead of its destination planet, undergoing civilian revolt and war and discovering magical properties of the moon (the true reason of that systems selection by corupted human officials)
Another Caravel will discover the result of these events nearly 2200 years after the crash...
The last Caravel suffers an unknown fate to be later discovered...

The demo involves one mini-introductory-adventure through an alien planetary assignment gone a bit awry.
----

The characters are really not developed at all, a few ideas here and there but nothing solid.
The dialog is terrible, I think, I really need help in that department, I'm a map making man by nature, this project really began as me simply experimenting with custom chip sets and spacecraft graphics.A story formed to hold it together.

FEATURES:

Mineral Scanning : The player can implement a scanning field which indicates minerals in the environment that he could recover and use later on to create items and infuse for attributes, although that end of the system isn't implemented yet.

Explosives : Player can lay explosives to investigate cracked/unstable areas for exploration

Flashlight : speaks for itself.

22 minutes of demoplay

A nifty little feedback effect for the hero's sprite, which isnt implemented as a system yet but serves as a pretty little effect.

I intend to implement monster trapping, so the player can capture monsters in battle and take them back to the ship to be mutated then fought in illegal onboard arenas, or they could be dissected to reveal useful items/properties for infusion.

Alot of "custom" graphics, meaning alot of it technically is stolen from commerical games/other sources, but I'm pretty keen on altering them quite a bit.

The Caravel will be a massive "mobile" city, as it is now it has a tonne of maps with interesting little gadgets but nothing is complete, and its not bustling with the human scientific/engineering energy that I envision. That is to come.

Theres a few little weird sidegames at the end of the demo too.

-----------

SCREENS

In a Xodian temple beyond time/space

In the heavy machinery dock on the Caravel, there you are, up on the catwalk! Little bit of the feedback effect going on.

Now we're in the Botany department, you'll be able to grow your own vegetation, maybe make some freaky mutants/items.

In an alien cave.

On the surface of an alien planet, theres your explosive nearly detonating.

Flashlight

Yay! Cavey

Here we have the mineral scanner activated, he wont find any minerals on that plateau though.

---

I'd love someone to help me out on this game, I kind of like it
even if they're just playing it and giving feedback.

thanks

DEMO DOWNLOAD : http://www.savefile.com/download/1123781?PHPSESSID=
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:17:36 PM by Krin »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I am afraid I can't load any of your images. Maybe it's just me, but if anyone else can't see them please mention it so the topic creator can fix it. :D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Well i don't see them either.

Edit: Ah i can see them now. Sorry my wireless tends to be a problem with images. Nice places to i want to explore them now.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 01:41:56 AM by Ruzu »
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
I can see the images fine,,the cave and the alien planet maps look pretty daaaaamn good.
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I can see them too, and ARE THOSE custom tilesets?
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I ripped the alien planet chipsets from chrono trigger.
I ripped a lot of the chips from chrono trigger, but the ship chips are so altered that nearly everything is unrecognizable from chono trigger.
I kind of just used the "textures" from thier art as a framework for my own chips, it also appears to support a visual theme among the different maps.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Cool, I really like the cave and alien planet surface tiles
:3
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Dang, this is a really cool idea for a game- sci-fi RPG's always get me  ::)

I wanna play this now...SO...
I will.

The features sound fun, especially the part where I get to have alien cock fights :P

I'd like to know which areas of the demo made you intensely bored, if anything really irritated you.
If you thought the intro was useless, too confusing, anything.

I want really criticizing feedback.

Im now implementing a POOL TABLE side-game type deal into the ship entertainment sector, Ive never seen a pool simulation in rm2k3 so i think thats interesting.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
this topic meets the requirements to enter the main board.

~ moves topic.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun