RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[DEMO] "Origin" (a cartoony, modern RPG)

Rep: +0/-0Level 88

SYNOPSIS:

Who are we, where do we come from and where are we going? These questions have been following human kind since we first started to look upon the stars in amazement and wonder. God, coincidence, or something else?
   One night a boy wakes up in his bed. The telephone is ringing. The unfamiliar voice tells him strange things and a sheep suddely appear in the living room. Strange things are definitly going on, especially since several sheep have suddely been disappearing and reappearing mysteriously on his uncle's farm. The boy believes that the strange events that took place that night were only a dream, but he will soon realize that they will change his life forever.
   Digging further and further into the mystery of the sheep abductions, the boy and his three friends find themselves facing frightening answers to questions asked for  centuries, and a destiny putting humanity in jeopardy.

DEMO AVAILABLE:
http://www.knegg.com/origin/origin-demo.zip

PROJECT SITE:
http://origin.knegg.com

IMPORTANT CHARACTERS:
Note: Provided here are the default names of the four playable characters in the game (Stan, Boggs, Edrine and Metal). These names can be changed into whatever the player wishes.

Stan: (playable character)
Being the protagonist of the story, Stan is the young boy who waked up and answers the strange phonecall in the middle of the night. Stan is a righteous and diplomatic force in the group of four that sets out on an adventure grander than any of them would imagine.
Favoured weapon type: Blunt

Boggs: (playable character)
Stan's slightly overweight best friend with a sharp wit and an unbeatable love for muffins. With his spectacular ability to use body odour of different kinds to his benefit, any opponent will face a hard time in battle.
Favoured weapon type: Explosive

Edrine: (playable character)
Being new to the neighbourhood in Bageldon, Edrine has a hard time fitting in with the other kids. Her passion for electronic widgets and odd interests, leaves her with a reputation as the neighbourhood freak girl. Stumbling upon Stan and Boggs one night, as she is observing strange balls of light appearing around the sheep fields of Stan's uncle, the encounter marks the beginning of a long and prosperous friendship.
Favoured weapon type: Ranged

Metal: (playable character)
This hot-tempered young man just arrived in Bageldon to spend his summer vacation at his rich uncle's manor. He doesn't really care a whole lot about anything aside from his heavy metal records and his electric guitar. As he doesn't socialize easily with other kids, his uncle forces him to spend time with Stan and his friends and aid them in their quest. Even though his nature seems unpleasant, things dwelling beneath the tough surface may prove darker than any mystery.
Favoured weapon type: Sharp

Lord George Bagel:
Famous archeologist, rooted in the noble Bagel family that has been living in the Bagelshire area for hundreds of years. Lord Bagel is Metal's uncle and has always been completely obsessed with old artefacts. As he digs for an ancient tablet at a site near Bageldon, he is overwhelmed by strange agents in suits who snatch the tablet from him. As this only makes the mystery of the ancient tablets even more interesting he dedicates himself completely to cracking the code and solving the mystery. As his path crosses with that of Stan and his friends, they join forces in order to unveil secrets that are perhaps better lefte in peace.

Viktor Alexandrov:
Hunted by a strange brotherhood for secret information he is willing to die for. As he changed his identity after the Soviet Union collapsed, he retreated to the shadows to guard a secret from times past that proves to be a key in the web of mysteries.

Bridget Palmer:
Lord Bagel's American relative, and member of a strange UFO cult woking in Kecksburg in the United States. As Stan and his friends seek her out, she mysteriously vanishes into thin air, and the four kids are attacked by strange agents that seem to follow their every move.

Toby Francolini (Big T):
Head of an organised crime network with their head quarter in the Afro House in Bageldon. As he is obsessed with artefacts from all over the world he once stole one of the old tablets that was in Lord Bagel's possession. In order to crack the code of the three tablets, Stan and his friends are forced to seek out Toby in his lair.

Grand Master Salvador:
Head and Grand Master of the strange brotherhood of agents following Stan and his friends. As they too seem very interested in the mystery of the ancient tablets, their goal seems to justify any means necessary.

LOCATIONS TO VISIT:

Bageldon, England (fictive)
Stonehenge, England
Kecksburg, USA
Hesdalen, Norway
Giza, Egypt
Chichen Itza, Mexico
(more to come)

FEATURES:

• 100% original graphics (created by me)
  • 100% original soundtrack (composed by me)
  • A modern setting
  • Occasional silly humour

SOUNDTRACK PREVIEW: (don't snatch these without permission)

Battle music: http://www.knegg.com/origin/Battle.mid
Dungeon 1: http://www.knegg.com/origin/Dungeon 1.mid
Boss battle 1: http://www.knegg.com/origin/Boss battle 1.mid
Blob boss: http://www.knegg.com/origin/Blob boss.mid

SCREENSHOTS:

NEW! (October 16th 2007):

NEW! (November 10th 2007):

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:02:20 PM by Merte »
"All you do is to walk around the house all day, inhaling groceries and popping out pudding!"

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Looks pretty great, like Earthbound. I am looking forward to a demo. The 100% custom resources is quite an impressive undertaking.

Well, the graphics are about 95% done, so that's not an issue anymore.
"All you do is to walk around the house all day, inhaling groceries and popping out pudding!"

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
All I can say is:

Awesome.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Huge Effort.
Awesome completion.

Keep up the good work!
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Huge Effort.
Awesome completion.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you, I will. It just passed 4 hours of gameplay now.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Reminds me of Earthbound. Nice custom graphics you have there.

Reminds me of Earthbound. Nice custom graphics you have there.

Heh heh. You have no idea of how many people have compared it to Earthbound.

18 new screenshots have been added to the main post.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Looks awesome.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I agree with the others!

AND HI MERTE!

I agree with the others!

AND HI MERTE!

Hi... erh... person who I appearently should know but can't recall. :P

Added 6 new screens.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
They look good! You have lots and lots of screenshots.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
What's with all the afros in the new screenies?

What's with all the afros in the new screenies?

Heh heh... You need an afro to be accepted by the afro gang in order to get into their hangout.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
This topic has quite a lot of screenshots....
How's the overall completion, Merte?

Rep:
Level 88
goodtimess
Looks great.
What the?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

This topic has quite a lot of screenshots....
How's the overall completion, Merte?

Hmm... I don't really know... 40% or thereabout.

Finally I have made a demo available, so that this topic may be moved out with the elite :P
It is available from the main post.
Note that the demo doesn't start from the beginning, but is rather a sample section of the game.

Enjoy and post feedback.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
sorry for the delay, thanks for the PM to remind me!

~ Moves
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

No problem.

Rep:
Level 97
I got an error when I tried to open it: File Vehicle Missing or something.

I got an error when I tried to open it: File Vehicle Missing or something.
Yeah. I think this should be fixed now. Try downloading it again and reinstalling it. Hehe... have to keep a straight tongue when excluding the RTP. =)

Rep:
Level 86
nice graphics.