RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
... Sperm Banks O_o

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
OK, don't run off just yet, let me explain.

For my psychology class, I have to get people's opinions on this, and what better way to do it than by just opening a thread and letting you tell me what you think?

So, sperm banks offering samples from highly intelligent people are becoming sort of "popular". People who want children also want their "father" to be highly intelligent, even of genius status if possible. There are many sperm banks now that only collect samples from men with IQs that are of genius level or higher now.

But, intelligence hasn't proven to be hereditary yet. Most scientists believe intelligence is derived from both hereditary and environmental factors.

So, to get to the point without having to say sperm too many more times, do you:

A. Believe intelligence is hereditary? Or is environment also a factor.

And

B. Do you think it's OK for women to go to these sperm banks in hopes of their child being a genius?

There are several children born this way who turned out to be of genius level, even one who at the age 6 was reading Shakespeare's Hamlet, with full understanding, and by the age of 15 had an IQ of 180.

It probably seems like there isn't much discussion to be had here, but I think there's more to talk about than it seems. There were some interesting points brought up in my class.

Anyway, I only need some people's thoughts on the subject, that's the main focus here.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 91
hmm... so who was the father of einstein again?
i have no idea... actually.. coming to think of it, has any of you ever heard about the greatness of all the "omg changing the world" inventers' parents?

i mean if it was honestly coming from hereditary only then at least half of their parents were bound to make something to be remembered by
and yet... failing to hear about their greatness the only possibility i can come up with is that the environment has a huge infulence

i have nothing against... special banks... i would think the girls who go there should only be the ones who cannot have babies from their housbands or something like that (or.. lesbians...)

other than that by no means should an idiot think some genius sperm will make her kid uber wise, because she is proving that she is not capable of thinking.

a yet another thing that i came up with just now is a "what if" question
what if the donating father donates .. it.. to 2-3 girls
now, 1 girl gets a boy another gets a girl.
they have no clue about each other or about the identity of the donator
the odds for their boy and girl to meet and fall in love are like a 1kkk to 1
but what if they do meet?
having the same father means that their kids will have a good chance to be damaged in a sort of a way

well that's enough for the what if section

now, the kid with the 180iq
i wouldn't believe even for a sec that he went to the store and told mom to buy him hamlet
i would think his mom , from such a young age, educated him to become a genius
that is a possibility and by all means i belive that if parents try to make their kids geniuses, and educate them perfectly then those kids will become geniuses
i mean.. at the age of 6 my mom bought me toy cars and from time to time i heard a bed time story
and not it wasn't hamlet ~.~

i came out of my parents' education the most decent person i know, i don't lie unless i feel i have to and even then i smile or laugh so it's easy to get me busted...,  i don't use drugs smoke or even drink
simply cause i was educated to avoid all of those by all means

so i would believe that the education you earn at home , and the influence society have on you are the things that build your identity, the way you think, talk and behave.
and hereditary does have a part in it, but it is comparably small

and halo....

SPERM SPERM SPERM SPERM SPERM
(you are giving me nightmares )
holy shit my sig was big!

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
The anser to the frist one is NO!
Arlen is hot.

And why is that??
I think A.B is just wrong.What if the father was drugged and smoked pot all the time? That baby would be  a crack head!Yep blue i said CRACK HEAD

Rep:
Level 91
There are many sperm banks now that only collect samples from men with IQs that are of genius level or higher now.

so the women go and choose the donator type
none of them choose the crack head... =\
whats more the crack head wouldn't be accepted in the first place
holy shit my sig was big!

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Correct, before you can even give a sperm bank a single drop, you have to go through rigorous tests for a few months.
bringing sexy back

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Wait hold on....that mean some people go there, thinking that they are doing good but there "sample" doesn't get chosen because he is a construction worker?? So sometimes to me its just being too picky, i know that you don't want a crack head's (am i allowed to say that?) "specimen" but other people might not be smart but has some nice qualities like for example: friendly, nice to be with and funny. You woudn't want a grumpy smart person would you? That's my opinion of course.

Sperm Banks shouldn't be used for a babies IQ.That is wrong.If you want a smart baby there is a little thing called SCHOOL.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Quote from: Silverline
Correct, before you can even give a sperm bank a single drop, you have to go through rigorous tests for a few months.

Are you in the testing phase right now silver? XD

Quote from: Tezuka101
Wait hold on....that mean some people go there, thinking that they are doing good but there "sample" doesn't get chosen because he is a construction worker?? So sometimes to me its just being too picky, i know that you don't want a crack head's (am i allowed to say that?) "specimen" but other people might not be smart but has some nice qualities like for example: friendly, nice to be with and funny. You woudn't want a grumpy smart person would you? That's my opinion of course.

There are... special banks (lol) that accept  ordinary samples (weird phrase) from people who aren't geniuses. They could be people like your construction worker you mentioned, but these are ones who are focused on the people with those high IQs. And saying a construction worker doesn't have a high IQ isn't necessarily true. There's a man in Long Island who works as a bouncer at a bar. His IQ is too high to measure, and he isn't a doctor or lawyer or anything.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Quote from: HaloOfTheSun
Quote from: Silverline

Are you in the testing phase right now silver? XD

Heh no I just saw an article once about it all. In general it's not so much your IQ that's the main thing of importance (though they do so some basic tests for that), it's more the state of your health and wether you've had any problems in the past or antything like that. And of of course if you had diseases such as malaria then you can't give your MANJUICE.

Either way I don't really think it's your parents' genes that have an effect on your intelligence so much as your upbringing.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
one more thing about sperm banks that is funny a trucker can go over there and give sperm right well they ask him what name he wants to use and what occupation so ethier way who ever goes over there is scrwed.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Nature vs Nurture

You'll find most of your answers here.

Me? I'm unsure. I'll wait for our technology.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Okay I've read through this and I can Offically say. Any one who has a turky baster baby has to be a freaking loser.... They apparently can'y get any. If they can't get any, they they shouldn't breed.... Simple as that.

And after this post I'm not going to touch this subject again.

Rep:
Level 92
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity...
...by the age of 15 had an IQ of 180.

Hmm...that's interesting. I took an IQ test a while ago and got a score of
183. I'm 15 years old. Does this mean I'm a genius?
DEATH: Master of Time, your life is at it's end! Mwahahahaha!
MOT: Whatever, dude *throws crumpled piece of paper at Death and runs away*
DEATH:....?

Rep:
Level 102
No, it just means everybody else is a dumb-ass.

[edit] haha dumbas s gets converted to dumba$$
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 92
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity...
LOL That's funny. A friend of mine calls himself "@$$whole"
DEATH: Master of Time, your life is at it's end! Mwahahahaha!
MOT: Whatever, dude *throws crumpled piece of paper at Death and runs away*
DEATH:....?

Rep:
Level 97
I forgot this topic existed. >< Well I have what I need now.

Quote from: Master_of_Time
...by the age of 15 had an IQ of 180.

Hmm...that's interesting. I took an IQ test a while ago and got a score of
183. I'm 15 years old. Does this mean I'm a genius?

His IQ was based on adult level IQ. So chances are, no. And it probably wasn't a very good IQ test.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
IQ is normal distributed with a mean of 100.
Unfortunately the variance is not globally specified.

This means that if your IQ is exactly 100 you don't have to care because your IQ is 100 regardless of the variance.
If your IQ is below 100 you can obtain any value below 100 with a corresponding variance. Yes, even negative IQ is possible with insane variances.
If your IQ is above 100 you can obtain any value above 100. In theory you could have1000 or 10 billions IQ. You could in fact go towards infinitive IQ.

People can exploit this (in my eyes incorrect) view on IQ.
I remember taking an IQ test somewhere on the Internet because I was bored.
When I was finished it said that my IQ was 186 (something about that) and if I would like to buy the full detailed report.

You can join MENSA if you are among the top 2% people.
Some places you need a lower IQ to join MENSA than other places, is this because people are more stupid in certain areas?
No. It's because MENSA some places use a SD (Standard Deviation) on 15 and other places on 24.
The variance is just SD * SD.

The quick-eyed will notice that something doesn't sound right. Meh, some essence in it is true.

Rep:
Level 90
if i remeber correctly if your iq is over 160 your a genuis like bill gates and albert enistine so your iq can only be 1-160
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 97
150 is considered genius, and you need 132 to get into MENSA I believe. The use of standardized tests is what keeps IQs comparable, but there are so many it's hard to be accurate. Intelligence is one of the hardest things to measure. A person's IQ is usually based on the average of many tests. And 160 is definately not the highest.

There is a man in Long Island who scored higher than anyone in America has, a 195 I believe.

70 is considered to be at the retarded level, with varying degrees going down. People at the highest level of retardation (mild retardation) are not the stereotypical "wearing the helmet and protective gear, covered in drool" types you would normally think of. They can function normally, live on their own, and even go to and graduate from college. They just score low in an area such as math or verbal skills.

Well, that's my speel on IQ, this is going off-topic now. If you wish to continue the talk of IQ, start a new one.

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
Sperm smells funny, I dont see how you could just walk in there. Its like the perfume department at Debenhams. Lethal.
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??