RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The obligatory 'Events versus Scripts' discussion

Poll

The obligatory 'What do you use and think is best' poll with comedy options

I use Scripts
9 (2.2%)
I use Events
40 (9.9%)
I use both
89 (21.9%)
I use neither :P
2 (0.5%)
Other
1 (0.2%)
I think Scripts are the best
14 (3.4%)
I think Events are the best
19 (4.7%)
I think a combination of both is the best
79 (19.5%)
I think it depends on the specific situation
65 (16%)
Other
1 (0.2%)
dwarra :=:
16 (3.9%)
second comedy option
28 (6.9%)
Zeriab is the best :V
43 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Rep:
Level 86
Would that include scripts directly inserted into events? (where I have been playing with them), as opposed to the direct event facilities made available?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I would say no, since it is my assumption that it would take as long to process the Script Event Command as it would other Event Commands. So, my guess is that it would depend on what the script command is. For instance, I imagine using a script cocmmand for something like:

$game_variables[1] = 5

would be slower (negligibly) than

Control Variables: [1] = 5

Though I'm not positive about that.

However, for something like this:

for i in 0...10
  if $game_variables[i*2] != 10
    $game_variables[i*2] *= 2
  end
end

I would imagine that would be faster than making a list of conditional branches.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:15:14 PM by modern algebra »

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I use events
second comedy option

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
Creating a custom system of a sort seems so much easier in 2000 and 2003. Which makes me think scripting is slightly forced upon people, because useful functions are missing in the event editor.

I can do some scripting... not as much as I'd like. (I almost always get errors once or thrice.) Waiting on scripters is "D:".

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
If you understand events as much as I do you can do pretty much everything with events then with scripts.
But if I have something hard or something which comes back every map I use scripts.
so much more helpful,

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
I would say to use scripts in RMXP, as they allow you to create more complex functions with less hassle, as Modern Algebra pointed out. In addition, Enterbrain actually removed several events that allowed for the same functions, albeit with more work, to be achieved in earlier versions of RM.
So...basically:
Creating a custom system of a sort seems so much easier in 2000 and 2003. Which makes me think scripting is slightly forced upon people, because useful functions are missing in the event editor.

::)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Since there are engine differences between RMXP and RMVX the discussion has been split into two threads:

RMXP discussion topic/poll
RMVX discussion topic/poll

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:47:56 PM by Zeriab »

Rep:
Level 92
This topic is created in anticipation of a potential discussion. The discussion was in RMXP and there is no reason why it shouldn't be in RMVX.

I have given you three votes with the mindset of you using the two votes seriously and the last vote on the comedy options. Since I can't group options I must just hope that you will use the poll sensible. Naturally you can beat the system by voting in a different way. Beating the system will probably make you feel better so I don't mind you doing that ^_^

The 'I use ' group: (What you are using)
I use Scripts
I use Events
I use both
I use neither :P
Other

The 'I think is best' group: (What you think is the best)
I think Scripts are the best
I think Events are the best
I think a combination of both is the best
I think it depends on the specific situation
Other

The comedy group:
second comedy option
Zeriab is the best :V

One vote per group would be the optimal in my opinion.
If you choose Other in any of the groups I would very much like you explaining what you mean in a reply to this thread. You naturally don't have to.
You are free to discuss the events and scripts advantages and disadvantages in this topic. You don't have to discuss. You can word your opinions and leave it at that. It is fine as well.
No flaming! If you start flame I will treat you unfair >8U
If you are flamed then try not to flame back. Use the fact that I will treat the flamers unfairly to peace your mind ;)

On a final note: I have enable you to change you votes should you change your opinion

I don't know RMVX enough to answer yet. I expect my answer will be the same as my RMXP answer, though I naturally don't know yet.

~ Zeriab

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
I'm expecting a character maker and a face set in the future. I'm pleased of what I've seen yesterday.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I voted for "I use both," and dwarra and Zeriab. Zeriab has the highest votes in the poll, lol.

Rep:
Level 85
Both. But I preffer scripts.

Scripts can do more, and don't create lag. Which leaves more room for many more simple events.

Big stuff scripted, little stuff events.

Thats how I'm making my game =)

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...

Some one lock this damn thing please.

Rep:
Level 92
I disagree with locking this topic.
Every now and then new members has historically wanted to express their feelings on this matter. I prefer having it all collected in one place where the newcomers can read other views and opinions as well.
It's definitely better than the alternative of posts on this matter appearing scattered across the forums.

@Caesis:
Scripts definitely can create lag. Too much code to process in per frame => lag.
What you can say is that in most cases when having the same functionality in a script and in an event the scripted way will process faster.

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah... about that.....
Personally, I use events.  I've tried scripting, and the idea goes way over my head.  Eventing seems so much easier for me.

However, I am grateful to have found RMRK and he plethora of scripter for the things I can't event.
This is a signature.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Scripts are needed to fix missing features in vx :(

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I use both, it depends on the specific situation, and dwarra :=:
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 85
id have to say both, because the scripts and events are good because you can learn on how the game works.
"If you build it, they will play it"

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I have tried out VX, And i do like it. Not enough to get a license, I suppose but that's because I waste all of my money on other things. I am a programmer at heart, But i never got around to learning ruby and in the end i was too lazy to XP. From what i understand of it though, Although i have used events for a while, and probably will be using events for the rest of ever, scripts do allow you to break many boundaries, intentional and unintentional and eliminate work arounds, and that's enough for me XD. I was always sick of event-made menus and battle systems (I think the only good CBS was in that Final Fantasy Fan game, And most of the good Custom menus depended on a link to the default menu)

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I could say the same about XP though. whoops.

Rep:
Level 85

Besides, It's a lot of fun to make a battle system via events, it takes hours and hours and you end up debugging for days  :blizj:

I made a battle code in 2k3 and its so long that after a certain point i cant move the scroll bar down anymore and i have to use the mouse wheel but scripting doesn't exist on rm2k3. Hopefully i can transfer my battle code to rmXP in future games. Thats real backwards compatibility.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
i use both, i dont make the script's but i modify as i like and event's are a much more easy way then script's, lets say that if their was onle script's or onle event's the game you will make will look alot more different then when you use both  ;D.

Rep:
Level 84
I use both, however Scripts > Events!!!
Why? Because events can't work without scripts, and scripts can work without events. Try deleting all Interpreter method contents, events won't work.

Scripts > Events

Sorry for late replying to this thread, but I had to say.

Rep:
Level 82
We learn by living...
I dislike scripting because
1)I really don't know it all that well
2)it scares the bajezus out of me because you have to save before testing and it crashes like holy hell. That becomes a big issue when you have a multi-layered investment in the script, like if you primitively edit specific lines all over the place and forget to leave markers where you edited things, and the original.

Still, I used script where eventing fails me, and it often does.

Events totally pwn script in terms of stability and accessibility.

I think people who blow their pipes about how bogly awesome script is should get together and try writing a user friendly manual for scripting, because contrary to popular belief, you cannot easily google your way through script, and learning ruby is almost useless without knowing the architecture already in place, especially the arrays and aliases.

The built in help guide is also kind of useless for beginners because no one tells you things like the "@" symbol means ".extension" or how to use p for print, or that you can print all file extentions and data by leaving off the extension.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
nice necro and misconceptions

I dislike scripting because
1)I really don't know it all that well
2)it scares the bajezus out of me because you have to save before testing and it crashes like holy hell. That becomes a big issue when you have a multi-layered investment in the script, like if you primitively edit specific lines all over the place and forget to leave markers where you edited things, and the original.

Still, I used script where eventing fails me, and it often does.

1) so if you didn't know eventing, but you knew scripting, you'd not like eventing?
2) you have to test events over and over to make sure they don't cause bugs in your game that could ruin and/or crash your game, editing restrictive and locked downed specific functions and hoping that it does what you're looking for it to do.

Events totally pwn script in terms of stability and accessibility.

Events can be just as instable, and scripting is just as accessible to someone who can program, or takes the time to program.

I think people who blow their pipes about how bogly awesome script is should get together and try writing a user friendly manual for scripting, because contrary to popular belief, you cannot easily google your way through script, and learning ruby is almost useless without knowing the architecture already in place, especially the arrays and aliases.

Guess what, Ruby is an entire programming language and you -can- in fact google ruby tutorials to brush up on syntax and how it works.  Also, people have tried to write manuals, but as far as that is concerned, programming is a skill that takes time to learn.  Just as you can't just write a manual expressing every single possible combination of eventing procedures, you can't do that for scripting either.  Scripting, like Eventing, is clever use of the methods provided to you, not some formulaic thing that you can just write an instructions manual for.

If someone wants to learn how to script RGSS, they could take the time to study Ruby, and/or the default scripts to see how they work, specifically starting with simple things such as the menu systems.

Also, Blizzard wrote a guide for Intermediate/Advanced scripters that can help people to understand some of the possibilities, if someone wants to learn more, they can read it, it's not hard.  here

The built in help guide is also kind of useless for beginners because no one tells you things like the "@" symbol means ".extension" or how to use p for print, or that you can print all file extentions and data by leaving off the extension.

The built in help guide isn't a "how to ruby for beginners" guide, it's an explanation of the API and Methods available through the RGSS libraries.

tl;dr - saying scripting isn't good because you don't know how to do it is ignorant as it can do things much faster, easier, and more efficiently than eventing could ever dream to.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 83
Way to not know what you are talking about.
Alot of people have instructions for their scripts, and its clear and precise. And if it is a script that requires alot of changes, they do have a manual. (Yanfly's battle script has a huge manual)

The builtin guide is useful to an extent. But they really want you to know Ruby before you start scripting. Thats why you don't know "@" is an extension, or that "p" is for "puts"/"print". Knowing Ruby isn't useless. When you know Ruby, and then read the help file, you understand alot of what you can do. Unless you are a programmer, you won't understand alot of the "architecture" because its not similar to you. I came to Ruby from Python(a similar language) and I understood most of what I needed to know. 

Events are not nearly as stable as a well written script. It falls on the user to use it right, and that is where the issues come from. Now because you probably event your own systems, you don't encounter any problems. But imagine putting it online, and having others use it. Then you will see many issues with it. That is how it works for both scripts and events. If you wrote your own scripts, you wouldn't have any issues with them.

I like to use both. Events and scripts have their own places in which they excel, and ask myself before doing something, what would be best to solve my problem.

EDIT:
Damn you NAM, you ninja'd me.