RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Help...

Rep:
Level 86
*Jams out to some serious tunes*
I can't figure out how to use Game Maker...

NONE OF IT

I click on the backgrounds folder multiple times in GM and it doesn't do anything at all.
Then I click sprites folder and it does nothing either.

I'm starting to think GM is useless because it can't even open a stupid folder for me to look at the stuff in it...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:44:47 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Woah, nice.

You have to say add sprite. The folder is trying to open, but it can't because they're empty. Look at the toolbar, click the red pacman. You now have a blank sprite. Click the one that looks like a painting, a background, the horn, a sound, etc.

Rep:
Level 86
People i've talked to about GM have yet to explain GM in a way I understand...

And what do you mean blank sprite? I have to draw it myself????

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant

Stick to RMXP, hahahaha.

Rep:
Level 86

Stick to RMXP, hahahaha.
Yeah, I probably should. I still have yet to even figure out anything about GM.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
The folders are empty; you add your own things to them, either things you've made or things other people have given permission for you to use.  Yes, usually you hafta draw your own stuff, and you HAVE to if you're making a commercial game (and if you're wondering what "commercial" means, it means a game to sell :P) unless you have the direct permission of the creator to use the resources.

Gamemaker, like RPGM, comes with its own sprites, but they're just there so you can use them to get started.  With GM, it's about YOU making the game, not really like RPGM where you have lots of different monsters and stuff and can make lots of games with what you're given and never really have to make things yourself.  GM is mainly for people who want lots of flexibility and have the time (and patience) to learn how to use the program efficiently.  RPGM seems geared more to making good games fast with little programming or even knowledge of how the things work, basically a plug&play program.  Handy, yes, but I prefer GM's flexibility (though i WISH they'd make a decent all-in-one RPG tutorial/plugin; all the RPG tutorials are either single things like battles, walking, etc or just very basic "how to code this situation" things).

When I need an RPG I use RPGM, when I need any other game I use GM.

GM isn't useless but it takes a while to get used to.

Want a personal sig like this? Ask Firerain:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20203.0.html

Rep:
Level 86
It's about me making the game? I know that much, but I don't like the sound of that... I like more of a game maker like RMXP...

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
Go with what you like.  GM is for people who want to control EVERY aspect of the game, RPGM just has you plug in graphics and stats and design the levels and text and puts it together from there.

Rep:
Level 86
Go with what you like.  GM is for people who want to control EVERY aspect of the game, RPGM just has you plug in graphics and stats and design the levels and text and puts it together from there.
I do want to control every aspect of the game.. It's just that it's too hard.

Rep:
Level 96
GM takes practice, to be sure. I can guarantee you you'll appreciate your effort in the long run though.

Its actually a bit of a coincidence that you feel this way. I was thinking about what kind of person might be interested in using Stencyl last night, and well, here you are, I think. Google Stencyl. It gives the easy use of RMXP with the power of Game Maker. Its as malleable as you are skilled. :D

Rep:
Level 86
Question.. What's malleable?

Oh and don't give me the name of a game creating system that's easy to use and very functional if it's not downloadable yet. I get mad.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:16:53 PM by Inunah »

Rep:
Level 96
(Please, is a wonderful word, that isn't used nearly often enough.) I figured you could stand the short wait.

Malleable is a descriptor that refers to how something is easily changed, molded, or transformed.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
take aluminum foil and mash it around.  it's very malleable.  Now take a brick or thick piece of wood, or the computer tower you have whirring nearby.  They're not malleable, at least not without some good force.  A malleable object is easily bent or re-shaped.

And I too am frustrated that everyone talks about Stencyl yet it's not available yet.  I wanna start using it but it's not out yet!