RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
(Christian Topic) God's Age Limit on Mankind

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
It says in Genesis (where escapes me) that man beyond this point in time (the time God said this) that no man would age beyond 120 years old. What I wonder is...
Will they just die or will they have a "natural" cause (by natural I mean that God didnt just all of the sudden kill the guy)
And will non-christians find out? Some scientests said the humans will be able to live over 150 years in the future (with technology) I COMPLETLY agree with God's word, but its interesting nonetheless

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Let me guess; when medical science does advance far enough to keep numerous people alive over 120+ years that bible passage will be a "mistranslation"  rather then a contradiction amirite?

Let me ask you something as a Christian: what will you think if people live past 120years..? How will you take it?

Oh and it's Genesis 6:3 I believe.

Edit: looks like Jeanne Calment lived to 122, oh my.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:59:38 AM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Edit: looks like Jeanne Calment lived to 122, oh my.
and now she's burning in hell, no doubt!

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I have the bible on the desk next to me but I'm not gonna bother opening it. Unless I'm mistaken it said how Noah live over 800 years. Actually, let me grab the bible.

Okay, I translated a little something, 1 Moses; 5:32 says that when Noah was 500 years old he became Sem, Hams and Jafets father.

~_~ kinda speaks against itself?

And, all deaths can be seen as a natural cause of God depending on how stuck on religion you are. And, "will non-christians find out?", ask God.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
This thread will definitely live past 120 posts.

120 posts of misery.

I say lock it before it becomes a "OMG GOD DUST EXIST"/""OMG YUS HE DOES" debate.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Sounds like a plan to me.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I have the bible on the desk next to me but I'm not gonna bother opening it. Unless I'm mistaken it said how Noah live over 800 years. Actually, let me grab the bible.

Okay, I translated a little something, 1 Moses; 5:32 says that when Noah was 500 years old he became Sem, Hams and Jafets father.

~_~ kinda speaks against itself?

And, all deaths can be seen as a natural cause of God depending on how stuck on religion you are. And, "will non-christians find out?", ask God.

Age limit applies after the world flood only.

Edit: lol, is there really a need to lock it? I enjoy fightin.. debating* in these types of threads.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:18:02 AM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Meh, fair enough. They all end the same though =/

As for my views on this, I pretty much agree with

Let me guess; when medical science does advance far enough to keep numerous people alive over 120+ years that bible passage will be a "mistranslation"  rather then a contradiction amirite?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Meh, fair enough. They all end the same though =/

As for my views on this, I pretty much agree with

Gotta agree, i mean how many times has the bible aperently been 'mis-traslated' and re-writen?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
looks like Jeanne Calment lived to 122, oh my.
She happens to be female. Therefor she isn't a man.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Technically the passage is
Quote from:  Genesis 6: 3, New American Bible
Then the LORD said: "My spirit shall not remain in man forever, since he is but flesh. His days shall comprise one hundred and twenty years."

If you were to take it exactly literally, that would mean that every human being would have to live for 120 years exactly. No more, no less.

Given that that is not true, if you believe this passage of the bible you would have to take 120 as a sort of estimate, given perfect health or something. I think this topic probably should be locked, since it will end up being pointless flaming. But whatever.

And @Irock, lol?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
It might not turn to a flame as elgy isnt here to start one, or help start one now.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
This is just a case of people taking a particular part of the bible too seriously.

Allow me to demonstrate: http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

That site is not real, it's a parody that simply shows how stupid it can be. (Parody of godhatesfags.com , which is a real site for a real church).
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
lol, I'd hardly call the Westboro Baptist Church a real church.

In any case, I do agree, it is just one of those cases.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Technically the passage is
Quote from:  Genesis 6: 3, New American Bible
Then the LORD said: "My spirit shall not remain in man forever, since he is but flesh. His days shall comprise one hundred and twenty years."

If you were to take it exactly literally, that would mean that every human being would have to live for 120 years exactly. No more, no less.

Given that that is not true, if you believe this passage of the bible you would have to take 120 as a sort of estimate, given perfect health or something. I think this topic probably should be locked, since it will end up being pointless flaming. But whatever.

And @Irock, lol?

Many different translations of that passage give different conclusions, from what I have found the most common interpretation is that it is indeed an 'age-cap'
that originally man was to have everlasting life, but due to man's sin, God progressively shortened man's life in the "four falls of mankind" -- first to less than 1000 years, then to under 500, 200, and eventually 120 years.
[yeh, quoted from a bad source, but I really don't feel like bible searching right now]

Of course some feel the '120' years has nothing to do with an "age limit" but rather the time in which men where given to live, as Moses was given this proclamation 120 years before the world flood occurred, so god was not saying men could only live to 120 years, but they have 120 years until he destroys them with the flood.

Either way, both are disproved; there's no empirical evidence of a major flood as described in the bible, people have lived passed 120 (and will live much longer in the near future) and if it's a 'guide' as said by MA, I feel that is also fallible as people are only living to such an age now because of sentient intervention, not good health. So unless god was talking about medical science, I just don't see it happening.

lol, I'd hardly call the Westboro Baptist Church a real church.

Why? Because you don't like them or agree with what they teach?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Probably because you have to have enough people or something. The WBP is made up almost entirely of a single family, with the rest of the members being the family's immediate relatives or close friends.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
To be honest, if life expectancy grew to a point where it was over 120 years old, I would be more worried about the economical effects it would have, rather than sit around wondering whether or not God said it was okay.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
What economical effects?

Also, lulz, wasn't it Christians who were searching for like, the Fountain of Youth and stuff? Fear of death seems to be more powerful than God's word in that case :P
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I completly disagree with the statement made above

And also, now that I heard what DS said, it makes more sense.
Thank you, and +rep

[HAHAHA, I locked the topic]

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Living to 122...is that really living though? Sure, the body is animated, but...I don't think I WANNA live to be that old. Unable to wipe your own ass, drive, or probably even leave your home...

*shuddering*

Like you're a Zombie...just breathing, biding your time until your clock unwinds...