RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Destructive Criticism

Rep:
Level 89
Well here it is, I am at a focal point right now where just about everything I am placing on maps is beginning to tick me off because it just doesn't look right. Maybe it's just me being overly picky or whatever.

So I am calling for some destructive criticism here. I need to know what else I can do to make this thing "look" better. Give me the nitty gritty, and if there are and good points, feel free to express those too so I won't "accidentally" delete them.

Here is a single screen shot of a town that I just made called "Pavilion". Just to let you know the reason why I only put one screen is because the rest of the town looks just about the same as that single screen. The only difference is the size of the buildings.

Deleted ** Town scrapped

Rep: +0/-0Level 91
Gaming Hearts Studios Director
Another window or two and it'll look awesome.  But that's just me.

Rep:
Level 91
the grass color switch looks too odd...
it's like you frame the dirt perfectly while the dirt should be mind after the grass (naturally no one plants stuff to circle perfectly dirt in the middle of a town while they could plant grass on the dirt, thus the dirt came later)

and you could add flowers and bushes and stuff
tbe sign on the middle building is odd
you should put it next to a wall like

|=====|sign here

|="frame wall"
= =wall

other than that it can really use a flower or , or bushes or stones
maybe a small hut.. i dunno

i wish i could map like that, my maps always smell, but at least i know how to improve stuff others make heh "^^
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 89
As far as windows goes, I despise them more on this tile set than any other. They don't match the buildings...kind of like the doors. I was just thinking about building a bunch of prisons.

blue: I know unfortunately as far as the dirt goes I have a layer problem I need to address. It looked a lot better on the second than actually running the test.  :lol:

As far as the "little hut goes" the dimensions of the town is pretty tiny...70X40 and there is already about 10 buildings within the city itself. I was thinking about adding a couple more and now I have just got clarification. Thanks  8)

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
i would suggest taking of some of the vines on the corners

Rep:
Level 89
I scrapped this town, rebuilding a new one. The layering was a little off.

Rep:
Level 90
umm... little :O_o:  :roll:  :shock: ?
lol, I believe your layering is the only thing that causes it not to look right.
Fix that it would look fine.
Fix that it would look fine

*Matters on your style of mapping*

Rep:
Level 89
The new town...(as posted before in a different thread), the layering is perfect in it. So I am not having any problems putting anything where I want it to go  :lol: plus discovering that you can use events for images... :roll:

Rep:
Level 90
Well, goodluck with the game.
PS: If you ever need help with making a dungeon, (my favorite type of mapping), just ask, I enjoy it.

Rep:
Level 89
Yeah actually I need a sewer :lol:. I've been on one room for about 4 days now and I haven't really had the time to set the quest in motion (i.e. conditional branches...ect...)

Rep:
Level 90
ok, well, just tell me what you would like, and send me what you have done with the room so far; I use the illegal version, otherly known as,
"Postality Knights Edition"

Rep:
Level 89
No, no the room isn't in the sewer...the room is in the town. So I need an underground sewer made.  :shock:

Rep:
Level 90
Oh, in that case, just tell me what you would want it to look like; such as:

-How many entrances/exits are in the sewers? And are there any special spots they should be in?
-Is their a certain size you would like it to be?
-Is it a maze type sewer? Is it a plain sewer?

There, all you have to do is answer them three question. And give any other important information on it you think I should know :D

Rep:
Level 89
Alrighty, I'll give you some background on the first tiny quest.

The main character's sister has locked herself in her grandmother's holding cell where she keeps a few valuable items. Missy unfortunately was overcome with curiosity and one night stole her grandmother's key from her apron pocket as she slept. Missy ran down stairs to open the gate up to have a look, and when she finally did walk into the cell, the gate slammed shut and locked her in from the outside. The sound of the metal clashing together caused Missy to lose hold of key and it fell through a deep hole within the stone floor.

Aaron comes down to the basement after a while has passed and finds Missy crying because she was stuck. She is afraid that if their Grandma finds out that she was down there without her permission, she was going to get into a whole bunch of trouble. So she asks Aaron, after explaining what happened, to go and try to find the key before her grandmother starts to worry were she is and comes looking for her.

Aaron asks her does she know where it is? She says that she doesn't know for certain, but the hole that the key slipped down may lead into part of the city's sewer system and it might be down there. So if the quest is accepted, Aaron would need to go down to the town's sewer system and search out for this key.

Hopefully I explained this little dilemma well :lol:

1. The sewer should be a maze, otherwise it would be just too easy.
2. It should be at least 100x45 (after all, sewers systems are quite large)
3. There should be an average amount of exits, but there is only one entrance, which I have already set up in town. The exits are there mainly to throw the player off within the maze.
4. There should be some doors, but all of them should be locked (as such town "maintenance" only has permission to be down there and they have the keys)
5. Rats...a whole bunch of rats and very small creatures that you would normally find in sewers.
6. BGM : 035-Dungeon01  (leave the volume pitch at 100)
7. BGS : 016-Drips01 (Volume 70, pitch 100)

And anything else you can think of to make it look really good.  :D

Rep:
Level 90
ok, well I'll get to it :wink:

Rep:
Level 90
srry for the double post, but, here ya go.
Edit:
*I'm gonna PM it to ya*

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Quote from: Viper
Well here it is, I am at a focal point right now where just about everything I am placing on maps is beginning to tick me off because it just doesn't look right. Maybe it's just me being overly picky or whatever.

So I am calling for some destructive criticism here. I need to know what else I can do to make this thing "look" better. Give me the nitty gritty, and if there are and good points, feel free to express those too so I won't "accidentally" delete them.

Here is a single screen shot of a town that I just made called "Pavilion". Just to let you know the reason why I only put one screen is because the rest of the town looks just about the same as that single screen. The only difference is the size of the buildings.

The map sucks anyway.

Dirt on its own wont make a thing. It needs to be more compact.

Rep:
Level 89
Dwarra, I don't know if you read or not that map was scrapped a couple of daysa go due to problems (i.e. too much space, not enough houses, trees ect. Being that it was my very first map I do think it was a step up from most people I've seen that had only downloaded the program a couple of days earlier. My new town is very VERY nice looking and when I get the chance I will post some screens.

Rep:
Level 90
Did ya get my map?
I don't like it too much, but you might :?

Rep:
Level 89
I just got the PM draco, and downloading here in a sec.

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Quote from: Viper
My new town is very VERY nice looking and when I get the chance I will post some screens.

Saying that isnt a good idea >.>

I thought that and meh...

Wait till people judge it ___:/

Rep:
Level 90
yeah viper, why dont you send me and/or him the map, we'll tell you if you should keep it or kick it :wink:

Rep:
Level 89

Rep:
Level 90
the house on the right-middle is messed up...
other than that and a few ground errors, looks pretty good :wink: