RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Real Time RPG

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Is it even possible to convert this into a real time? I was really happy with the way FFXII turned out, and I'd like a battle system similar to that, including even pre-rendered enemies. I don't imagine it will be too hard once I get the whole attack / magic / w/e else screen finished outside of the enemies already visible. Anyways, is this possible?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:47:17 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 87
Just Helping.. And Getting Drunk :P
NAMKCOR did a nice job on that: he made a highschool rpg, check this out:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,18021.0.html

So if youve the right idea and the right stuff, yes you can mak a real time rpg.

And My Game Too When It Ever Finishes :P
Martynator and 24 Sneaky Snoopers are viewing this board.
Why don't they join then? :lol:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Is it even possible to convert this into a real time? I was really happy with the way FFXII turned out, and I'd like a battle system similar to that, including even pre-rendered enemies. I don't imagine it will be too hard once I get the whole attack / magic / w/e else screen finished outside of the enemies already visible. Anyways, is this possible?

I hope, for the sake of this post, you aren't talking about RPG Maker.

Rep:
Level 87
Just Helping.. And Getting Drunk :P
Now youre talking about that, this is kinda strange: posting on how ta make a real life rpg in the game maker forum, while one scroll under that is the rpg maker forum: i think you should post it there... ???

And My Game Too When It Ever Finishes :P
Martynator and 24 Sneaky Snoopers are viewing this board.
Why don't they join then? :lol:

Rep:
Level 96
Game Maker can easily do this, as long as you're okay with doing a bit of mathematics and inventing a few formulas. In fact, it's a lot easier than I used to think, if you keep things relatively simple. Even easier if you have GM registered. If you make an RPG in Game Maker, you can do one hell of a lot more than RM can. But no RM related questions (outside of comparison between RM and GM) here, it pisses me off real fast.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
HOW I USE SWITCHES?!

actually, this somewhat relevant to my interests.

oh, thanks to all of you ^_^ I'll check out GM, and no, I don't mind mathematics really, I just don't know where to start.

Rep:
Level 96
Well, before you even start, I suggest figuring out some basic equations for stats. I.E:

DAMAGE = E.ATTACK - DEFENSE * WEAKNESS

This means that when you are attacked, your defense is subtracted from the enemy's strength, then the difference is multiplied by your weakness level. Very simple, but if you have other stuff in there, it can get kinda complicated.

DAMAGE = E.ATTACK - DEFENSE + E.VIGOR + E.MENTALITY - SPIRIT * WEAKNESS

And etc. As more stats come into play, things will quickly become muddled, so I suggest figuring out how you want these things to play into each other.

ah, thankyou so much, thats the kind of stuff you just dont find in the scripting manual T.T