RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] changing graphics while running

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
I'm basically Yoda's brother
i'v seen that in other people's games, the player changes graphics while running.
can someone tell me how to do this?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:47:22 AM by modern algebra »

just so everyone knows, im 15 years old.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Absolutely, but you'll need to better outline what it is exactly. Do you mean running as opposed to walking, or running as in basic movement in a given direction?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
running as in basic movement in a given direction? (as opposed to standing still)

Rep:
Level 96
Ah, thats simple enough. Make it so when a movement key is pressed (not held, pressed) the sprite is changed accordingly. When it is released, change it back. :D

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
oh! i overlooked that. i didnt think it was so simple. thanks man!

[edit]
wait, that's not what i meant. i dont want a running sprite. i want a running sprite animation.
in other words:
i want my character to move his legs (like in the legend of zelda platformer)

can you tell me how to do that?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:32:52 PM by fadark »

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Just move his legs and have no motion? Then remove the motion...

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
thats not what i mean. i want him to move his legs and have motion. i have heard something about subimages but im not completely sure what they are. what are they?

Rep:
Level 96
Look through the sticky full of examples I stopped updating for some reason. In there you should find one called FoxNL's Platform example. (or whatever it's called, I know it had Fox somewhere in it) That should answer all of your questions.

EDIT: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,12923.0.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:47:16 PM by Super Arrow »

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
ok, thanks! but i have one more question.
can someone give me the expressions (that can be used in the "Test Experssion" event) that:

-test weather the player is moving left
-test weather the player is moving right
-test weather the player is not moving to the left or right (but might be moving up or down)
-test weather the player is in the air

Rep:
Level 96
-hspeed<0
-hspeed>0
-hspeed=0
-place_free(x,y+2)

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
wow! you're either an expert game maker, or im a newb game maker (which i am)..... or both..... lol! thanks!

Rep:
Level 96
lol, not quite expert I don't think, I still ask a dumb question or two myself every now and then. That wasn't a dumb question though, it's good you asked it. So you know, you can use basic math symbols, like +, -, *, (multiplication) or / (division) in almost any kind of mathematic formula in GM. For instance, if you wanted to make an object move at half the player's current hspeed, you would say:

self.hspeed=player.hspeed/2