RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
"Unexpected File Format" RPG MAKER XP

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Well, the power goes out the SAME exact time that a storm kills the power, and then when It came back on, I tried opening the game and I got this:

"Unexpected File Format"

...Help Please?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
The most likely cause is unfortunately that your data got corrupt and that you basically have lost the project.
I hope you have a backup ^_^

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
No time to be laughing! This seriously sucks, man.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Oh Shit. I've been working on this game for two years. The only backup I have is like the game... 50% done.....HEY, WHAT ABOUT SYSTEM RESTORE? Would that work for My Documents?

Rep:
Level 87
Ontamarama FTW! :D
I do believe that there is no way to fix this problem  ;9 trust me, my files corrupted and Ive been working on it for a long time now, you should be grateful you have 50% back up because I had none  ;9

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
No I think he said the only copy he has was the game itself which was now corrupter. :( This sooks.

Rep:
Level 92
If it has a full copy of your documents saved, then there might be a chance.
But really. If your project first is corrupted it's too lead.
Resources, like graphics and music usually still works though.

Take loads of backups.
We don't say it for fun.

Last time it happened for me I lost a little less than a half hour's work.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
How often should you back it up? Everytime you save? If so, how often should you save?

Rep:
Level 92
As often as you want to...
Just know the longer between the backups the more you can loose.
I usually take a backup every time I close the maker.
I usually save very often which has everything to do with how often I test-play. :P
Taking a back-up does take time.
Try finding a balance that suits you.

Rep:
Level 88
Heh heh, the same happened to me, about 7 times. All of which were remakes of the same game. (>>)

Just start from the backup and make backups more often, and maybe try getting a laptop or battery pack for your computer. Or set your computer to do an automatic mini-dump when this happens (No idea how, jsut know that it dosent corrupt your data)
Games in progress:
Tome of Arastovia: 7% complete at 2 hours of gametime

Rep:
Level 92
You could make a copy of your project every time you are to open it. Will generate loads of backups XD

Rep:
Level 87
The most likely cause is unfortunately that your data got corrupt

Sh**....

There are no storms here, and my project suddenly went haywire! I don't know what I did wrong, but screw that, I didn't even know it's possible...

EDIT:

Oops, sorry if I necroed this thread, I forgot to look at the date.

Anyhoo, I fixed my problem, started a new project and copied all the folders(Audio/Data/Graphics in my case) from the old one to the new project. It was like nothing happened. ;8

EDIT:

The newly restored project got corrupted again, and it was the same time as last time, the solution was the same, must be with Vista corrupting the "game" file.  ;9
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 12:41:53 PM by Pathbinder »