RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] Armored Core: Knighted In Blood

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Knighted in Blood

Chapter 1: Do It Again

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/15_-_insurance_money.mp3
“Faster, Donalbain! RUN FASTER!”

*CRACK-A-BOM!*

The dim and narrow transit shaft rocked violently from the stress of battle.

“DO YOU WANT TO LIVE OR DIE?!”

Donalbain was almost into his redzone, and he was losing ground rapidly. He turned to face his enemy, an enormous MT, and fired a round from his Karasawa-3. At this speed however he was unable to aim properly with his cheap FCS, and missed by a mile.

“Terrible, absolutely grotesque!”

Donalbain felt his opponent’s words, hot against his ears, strangling him slowly. He aimed again, and this time he made his mark. He was rewarded with the sound of plasma searing through alloy.

“IS THAT THE BEST YOU’VE GOT, BASTARD?! My God, you never would have survived without me, would you?!”

Donalbain was almost out of energy now, and if he kept going he’d be forced to recharge, costing him the battle. He had only one option open to him.

Donalbain stopped abruptly in mid flight, reversed direction, maneuvering towards the monstrous MT’s control center. In less than even a second the combatants collided, and the force of impact almost knocked Donalbain unconscious. It didn’t take much longer for him to regain focus, but his senses were dulled from the collision, and his vision blurred. The enemy pilot screamed yet another vicious insult, but he could not hear him. He latched his A.C.’s arms to either side of the MT’s armor, and pulled with all of his strength.

“Fool, what are you doing? You must truly be desperate! It’s almost enough to make one sick.”

The MT’s armor gave, and it’s “brain” was exposed. Donalbain had recovered enough of his energy to fire again, and launched one last volley of plasma into the MT for the kill.

“Mission objective achieved. Test mode disengaged.”

The tunnel and the MT slowly faded from view, leaving Donalbain alone in an empty black room, accompanied only by the hateful remarks of his foster father.

“Disgusting, you fight like a rabid animal. Have some dignity!”

The intercom shut off suddenly, letting out shrieking feedback, and then silence. A heavy door slammed in the room adjacent to his. Donalbain hung his head in shame. Again he had failed to meet his father’s standards. He felt cold, and empty. Completely unaware and incapable of doing so, his core’s OS spoke again, showing no signs of emotion.

“Raven rank for this test exercise is…-S-. Congratulations.”

The computer continued to ramble off specific mission details, but Donalbain ignored them entirely as he solemnly exited his A.C.

------------------------------

[NO TRACK]

Duncan moved quickly down the hall.

“He’s improving…that’s good. However, if I let up on him now it will only weaken him.” He said quietly to himself. “I feel terrible for treating him so poorly, but my money will not always be here to protect him…it is for the best.”

A steel door slid open on the wall to his right, and out stepped his natural born son, Malcolm.

“Good morning father! You look to be contemplating something of importance…may I lend a hand?”

“No,” Duncan replied. “I am sorry, but it concerns certain details which I cannot afford to share with you. You understand.”

“…Yes father.” Malcolm spoke, sullenly.

His father loved him dearly, he knew, but for months now he had been very short and receded with him. Love was good, but he needed more…If only they could just sit down and talk over dinner… Duncan now spent his evenings in his study, planning assaults on whomever would be most beneficial, sealing away his money…but most of all, he spent his time on “It.” That dirty little rat that he had found on one of his travels to Mars…Donalbain. Every waking moment seemed to be devoted to him. What he was going to eat, when he would sleep, what he would wear and who he would talk to, attempting to shape him into his master work. It burned him so…

Malcolm turned away, and his door slid into place as he entered his room once more.

(End Chapter 1)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:16:39 AM by boe »

Rep:
Level 96
CHAPTER 2 – We Have Rats

[NO TRACK]

*BLILIBEEP!*

(…what?)

*BLILIBEEP!*

(Awwwww crap.)

*BLILIBEEP!*

(Just shut up all ready, I don’t care…)

*BLILIBEEP!*

“Holy damn it all to icy hell FINE!”

Donalbain tore the receiver from the wall, angry that he was similarly torn from lucid slumber.

“Hello??” He spoke raspily, yet loudly into the phone.

“Don? It’s Rochstein. You are needed at Ilberun Laboratory 6, immediately. I do not have time to talk now, so I’ll have to explain the situation to you once you arrive. Do not bring your core, but arm yourself.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in about half-”

*CLICK*

“…Good morning to you too, ass.”

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/03_-_morning_lemontea.mp3
Donalbain leapt out of bed and pulled on a pair of heavy combat leggings, then began to tie up his boots. He completed his uniform with a black tank top and a bullet-proof vest, accented with an antique handgun he had gotten from his foster father; a Desert Eagle, modified to use the most advanced ammunition created so far.

He walked out of his room to the Hangar, calling one of his father’s personal helicopters along the way. At the end of the corridor stood a large and heavy iron door. He thanked his father, grateful that he had opted for automatics in the building. He input his security code and moved in.

The hangar access door was wide open today, in an attempt to expel some of the sweltering summer heat, and Donalbain was greeted by a beautiful panoramic view of the world around him. Green fields covered the landscape, large Neuemaple trees dotting the area, complimented by a bright blue sky, devoid of clouds. The sun held the Earth in a warm and loving embrace. It warmed him inside.

Of course, it only stretched as far as his father’s property. As soon as you went past his twelve foot electric fence, all was desolation.

“Don!”

Donalbain was jerked from his dream-like state by a nearby flight op manager.

“Yes?”

“We’ve just located your pick-up at about 300; it should be here in a few minutes to collect you. …Where are you going again?”

“I got a call from Rochstein this morning, I’m wanted at Ilberun. Something ‘important’ he says.”

“Well, Roch isn’t one to bother someone without reason, so it must be- why do you have a gun?”

“He said come prepared but not to bring my core.”

The F.O.M. frowned.

“Well, all right, just be careful okay? None of us here want to see you get hurt.”

“Of course, don’t worry.”

Donalbain let himself smile.

“I’m sure it’s no big deal.” He added, as he moved towards an empty bench by the wall. The manager nodded, a concerned look on his face, and then returned to his office. Donalbain decided to take a small nap in the morning sun. Unfortunately, his schedule did not allow for a nice nap in the sunlight, and the helicopter arrived before he could even close his eyes.

*whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup…*

The pilot began to speak through his crackly and antiquated loud speaker.

“D, are you down there?”

“I’M OVER HERE!!” He yelled, straining to reach the pilot’s ears. Feeling that this was not enough, he stood up and began to flail his arms.

“I can see you,” the pilot chuckled, “calm down, I’ll come in for a landing. Everything clear?”

“YOU’RE GOOD, KEEP GOING!!”

“Haaaahahaa…” The pilot laughed, slowly crawling downwards toward the hangar. Once he had reached the proper altitude, he tilted forward, slowly edging his way into the wide hangar entrance, wobbling as he went. “One of these days I’m gonna request a fighter jet, I swear…” He grumbled, forgetting that his loudspeaker was still activated, as his landing gear bouncing him slightly upward from the pad. Finally, he stopped in place, and motioned for Donalbain to board the chopper.

“You get a real kick out of that, eh?”

“Sure do kid. Where to?”

“I need to get to Ilberun, Laboratory 6, and pretty quickly. Rochstein says they need me for something pretty serious.”

“You got it Don.”

Donalbain strapped himself in to the co-pilot’s chair, and the pilot maneuvered out of the hangar once more. After about a ten minute flight, the helicopter arrived at laboratory 6.

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/07_-_out_like_a_light.mp3
“I don’t get it Don…The place looks just fine to me. Well, relatively anyway.”

Laboratory 6, like any other place outside of Duncan’s territories, was a patch of scarred, gray, rusted Earth. Aesthetics were not of concern here, only utility. Even a simple laboratory these days was almost required to have at least twenty stationary cannons lined along its perimeter in order to deter outside attackers, usually from rival corporations. A few hundred years ago, corporations would attempt to buy each other out, or defeat one another through legal means in a comparatively peaceful manner. Things had really changed since then.

“Okay, you’re good to go, hop out.”

“Thanks. I’ll call you back once this business is over with. Please refuel though, okay?”

“You got it D.”

The helicopter rose from the roof of the laboratory, and sped off into the distance towards locations unknown.

“Okay, let’s get to it.”

Donalbain walked towards an elevator entrance, and called Rochstein. He picked up after about three rings.

“Rochstein.”

“Rochstein, it’s Donalbain. Where are you right now?”

“You’ve arrived? Good. We’re on the eighth basement level, meet us in the parking lot, block 8-B. We’ll talk more once you’ve arrived; consider communications cut.”

“Yes si-“

*CLICK*

“I am getting very tired of that, very quickly.”

Donalbain steeped inside the elevator, and told it where he wanted to go in a loud and clear voice.

“Basement level 8 has been selected. Is this cor-“

“Yes, yes, just get to it.”

“Selection confirmed. Please place your hands upon the guard rail.”

Donalbain gripped the guardrail, and the elevator began its two hundred foot drop to the basement levels. His stomach jumped up into his throat, and caused a great strain on his gag reflex. Just as quickly, the elevator slid to a gentle halt.

“I would almost take the stairs, if they had any.”

“Donalbain.” A cool voice spoke. It was Ilberun’s vice head, Dorand. “We’re over here.”

Donalbain walked towards a group of five including Rochstein and Dorand at a steady clip.

“So what’s going on here?” He questioned.

Rochstein took this opportunity to explain the situation at hand. “Ilberun has discovered a spy from Operat within this facility. The infiltrator has been identified as Malvolio, one of the scientists working on the Class 5 bio weapon. He has captured critical information, and is now hiding in the fifth floor laboratory. We have not called in security, as this will give him a sense of false security, and a smaller force will be more effective in locating him. I could not explain this to you over the phone, as he is on the electronic communications level, and could easily have intercepted a call. As of this moment he is unaware of our presence.”

“…So why am I here? Wouldn’t it have been a better idea to call in ISF or something?

“No.” Rochstein replied flatly. “It would be too obvious. We are using you because you were not in the building when he was discovered, and he trusts you.”

“Of all people, why would he trust me? We’ve only run into each other a few times, and for no more than a few minutes.”

“He trusts you because he does not consider you to be a threat. He is not aware that you are a Raven.”

“Ah…That makes more sense. So why are you here?”

“When you capture Malvolio, I will play the role of interrogator. You may leave after he has been captured, as it will most certainly not be a pleasant experience.”

“Thank you. So I just have to snoop around on the fifth floor then?”

“Not snoop, just wander. Make your presence known to him. No one outside of this group is aware of this matter, so if he sees you he will think he is able to expose himself without risking being turned in. Once you have located him, take him to an elevator, as if you are going to exit the building with him. Handcuff him as soon as the door closes with these. He may be armed, so do not let anyone outside the two of you onto the elevator, and watch him closely. He may try to leave on his own, so go now. Good luck.”

“Got it.” Donalbain walked towards the elevator, stuffing the handcuffs into one of the pockets in his leggings.

(End Chapter 2)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:35:50 PM by Arrow-1 »

Rep:
Level 96
Chapter 3 – Reflections in a glass of water

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/24_-_f.mp3
Duncan creaked open the door to his office, and moved down the hall towards his private balcony for lunch. He only left to eat, sleep, and train his adopted son, and he only considered the third to be absolutely mandatory. Today, however, he felt he needed a relaxing meal with fresh air. He opened the automatic door, and stepped out onto the thin faux-marble floor.

“Thaddeus…” He rasped. “Bring me a bowl of gazpacho soup…Please chop the rabbit in to smaller portions today, my throat is weak. To drink, a tall glass of warm water.”

“Right away, Duncan. You sound hoarse…perhaps a bit less yelling for a while?”

Duncan chuckled, reclining slowly in his chair, and turned towards an artificial forest that he had had installed a few years ago.

“When did I have that done…Oh yes, a few years after I found Donalbain, to keep him from escaping…Ugh…Such troublesome days…”

-------------------------------

*whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup*

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/17_-_joyball.mp3
“HALT. You are trespassing on territories owned by Zio Matrix without clearance. Desist or we will open fire.”

A shadow flitted across the dusty red surface of Mars, intent on reaching its destination, despite the very real threats of security officers behind him.

“Well, we’ve given him his two warnings…What should we do sir?” The pilot questioned.

“Turn on the main cannon.” Duncan replied.

“Roger.”

The helicopter’s massive weapon took aim at the figure on the ground, and began to spin faster and faster. The intruder continued onward, undeterred, into an old stout building.

“TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!” Duncan bellowed.

The helicopter spun wildly upwards and to the left, straining to take the cannon’s sights off of the structure below.

“That building leads to Zio’s computer, you bust it and they’ll have our asses!” The pilot shouted.

“I’ll make sure of it.” Duncan added.

The cannon fired aimlessly into thin air, releasing its charge before finally powering down.

“Bring us down; we will enter the building on foot. Do not hit anything once we are inside!”

“…Roger… (Ass…)”

The pilots landed the helicopter, and then they ran into the facility, weapons drawn. They found the intruder right where they thought they would, at the main computer.

“Stop right there- What the hell…”

[NO TRACK]

The intruder revealed itself to be a young boy of about eight, draped in tatters.

“This is the guy we’ve been chasing? It’s just some scrubby little kid!”

“We just don’t get paid enough for this crap…”

“Well, rules are rules, say your prayers kid.”

“Hold it.”

Duncan stepped forward.

“Boy, we cannot allow you to leave this place now that you have accessed that computer. You cannot be trusted with that information; you could ruin Zio, and that in turn would cost me a very large sum of money. Are you aware of what that means?”

The boy nodded, staring Duncan directly in the face.

“Hm…What is your name?”

Duncan received no reply.

“I see…another war orphan. …I’ll make you a deal. If you leave this place, you will be shot immediately. However, if you accept my offer, you will be allowed to live until you act against my conditions. Fair enough?

The boy remained silent, an angry look etched into his face, but he listened intently.

“I will give you one more chance at life, as my own. You will obey my every command; you will not even consider disobedience. You will belong to me, and my every word will be absolute. I will shape you into…something of a decent human being. Do you accept?”

A short pause, and then a barely audible reply.

“Yes.”

The pilot and gunner looked at each other quizzically, unsure of what to do.

“Excellent…Restrain him, and take him with us to the helicopter.”

The boy lifted his arms, wrists limp, and the gunner handcuffed him.

“Sir…are you seriously going to just…take him in?”

“Yes. I pity the little mongrel.”

The boy resisted an urge to yell out in protest as he entered the helicopter.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:22:08 AM by Arrow-1 »

Rep:
Level 96
Chapter 4 – All Hail the New Type

“Father, I’m leaving for the VCW Hall, I’ll be home before dinner.”

Duncan did not reply, possibly because he could not hear Malcolm speaking or perhaps it was a form of silent acknowledgement, but either way it irritated him. He snarled, and walked outside to his waiting motorcycle.

“Super parenting, Duncan. Hell, for all you know I could be leaving to steal from your precious bank account; I have your number after all.”

He revved the engine, and then took off towards the front gate at a steady pace.

“Perhaps I will, simply to make a point.”

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/06_-_mint.mp3
He drove along the busy city streets in silence, though it wasn’t as if he would have been able to hear himself anyway. It was Saturday, and Saturday’s were always unbearably busy because of the arena. Lines to enter the Coliseum would wrap around and around for sometimes five blocks down the road, and traffic was horrible. On top of this, petty thieves were out in force in a feeble attempt to steal a few credits worth of loose change off of the local populace. As if it were that difficult anyway, with everyone glued to some sort of cellular phone or portable music device you could wave a loaded rifle in the air, barrel blazing, and you’d be lucky if a small child noticed, granted that it wasn’t a drugged up zombie by this point in its miserable lifetime. Yes, the city truly was a gloriously noisy and ignorant place.

“Well, I have a place reserved…I might as well go. Besides, cutting to the front of a line of 5000 or so people should make me feel much better.”

Malcolm revved his engine once more, and screeched to a halt at the front of the line, making sure to kick up a lot of dust and make a dense cloud of smoke. More than one of the people in the queue made a nasty remark, adding to Malcolm’s pleasure.

“I have a seat reserved, upper echelon club, 2-4-B.”

“…I see. Welcome back Mr. Lear.” The admissions manager muttered, showing his distaste for Malcolm.

Malcolm raised his chin slightly; smirking at those forced to continue waiting in line, and walked into an available elevator as a chauffeur parked his motorcycle inside of a heavy storage container. The door closed behind him, and the soft melody of “The Girl from Ipanema” wafted into his ears. Being the only one on the elevator, it wasn’t long before he started to hum the catchy tune himself. He was almost a little upset when the song was suddenly cut off for the announcer.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your patronage. These matches couldn’t exist without you, so give yourselves a hand!”

“And they will…” Malcolm spoke under his breath.

He stepped out into his private box, the audience’s gratuitous back-patting washing over him like a murky ocean wave. A paper rested on a table by the window, advertising the day’s combatants, two new types. Malcolm picked up the flyer and began to read.

[NO TRACK]

“Today’s arena participants are two battle-hardened Ravens from Mars, Valiant and Grinder. Both are fierce opponents who love to dish out the damage quickly and relentlessly. Today’s match, however, is subject to a special twist! Both Ravens will be fighting in A.C.’s made strictly from new-type parts! Take this opportunity to get a good look at three steadily rising corporate entities; Crest, Mirage, and Kisaragi. (Continue on for a quick summary of the combatants and their A.C.’s.)”

Malcolm stopped for a moment to ponder this information.

“New types…Hmm, this is most certainly of interest. I guess I got lucky today!”

He continued reading, thirsty for more information on the new cores.

“Grinder is a close-range combatant who disregards all damage to his A.C. as he blind rushes his opponent. More often than not, his opponents falter just long enough that their fate is sealed then and there. Most pilots go out of their way to avoid his powerful green bi-pedal A.C., equipped with dual rocket launchers, a shield, and a new type of weapon, the parrying blade.

Valiant is a bit of a stickler in his ways, equipping only solid-shell type weapons. There’s nothing really fancy about his combat style, but if he can draw a hold a bead on you, you’re in some trouble. He pilots a yellow quadruped with dual chain guns equipped to his core’s back slots.”

“Well, this is shaping up to be one hell of a match…” Donalbain concluded, setting the flyer back down on the table. He moved to a seat facing the battlefield, and began to watch intently…

------------------------------------

Download http://arrow1a.googlepages.com/07._come_on_nexus.mp3
“Ladies and gentlemen, get ready, for the battle is about to unfold! In the east entrance, Valiant!”

The audience exploded into applause for Valiant as his A.C. glided into the arena. He waved a cold steel hand at his supporters as he came to a halt at his starting position.

“And now, in the west entrance, Grinder!”

Grinder was welcomed with equal enthusiasm as he leapt from the entryway, pumping his fists into the air, eating up every moment of his fans’ cheering.

“Are we ready people?”

Valiant nodded his core’s head part, and Grinder gave a thumbs-up.

“O.K, the count down is set. 3…2…1...”

The klaxon blared signifying the start of the duel, and Grinder thrust forward Valiant just as was expected, releasing a cloud of rockets from his back weapons as he sped towards his quarry. Valiant sidestepped the unguided munitions and activated one of his chain guns, aiming carefully.

“Do you really have to be this predictable? Every time?”

“You won’t think you’re so funny in about five seconds.”

“We’ll see Grinder, we’ll see…”

Valiant activated his boosters and propelled his A.C. high into the air, leaving Grinder down below with a confused look on his face.”

“Since when do you leave the ground, V?” He questioned, following suite.

“Since about the same time I learned this little maneuver.”

Valiant activated his other chain gun and began pumping Grinder’s A.C. full of lead.

“*Tch* Child’s play.” Grinder remarked as he drew back his core’s right arm and activated the shield on the other.

“Are you going to punch me? You’re crazy man, a fist isn’t gonna do shit to this baby.”

“Oh I’m not going in bare handed. Eat heat!”

Grinder thrust his core’s arm forward, searing hot, into Valiant’s head part, obliterating it.

“FUCK!” Valiant screamed as he was forced somersaulting to the ground. He landed with a nasty crash. “I guarantee you won’t get to do that again!” He activated both chain guns once more, and sprayed bullets into the air. Grinder smirked, pleased with the battle so far.

“It’s not my fault you opted for a radar head, chump. If you had any brains you would have gone for a thick head like this one.” He shouted, knocking his fist against it.

“Oh I couldn’t have, it suits you far too well for me to have taken it.” He shouted snidely in retort. “Got you.” Valiant finally locked onto Grinder, and knocked him from the sky with a flurry of projectiles.

“Damn!”

Grinder hit the ground just as roughly if not more so than Valiant, much to his displeasure.

“Serves you right, jackass.”

“I’ll shut your mouth up real nice…”

Grinder stood up, and charged his parrying blade once more.

“YEE-HAW!”

Grinder slammed his fist into Valiant once more, this time into his core’s pelvis, immobilizing it.

“Ahhhhhh screw…”

“Ya done now?”

“Hardy har friggin’ har.”

Valiant dropped all of his weaponry, signifying surrender, and Grinder began his victory dance. He leapt all around the arena, shouting, pumping his fists into the air, thrusting his pelvis at his former opponent, who was now being helped out of his core and escorted from the battlefield.

(End Chapter 4)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:50:12 PM by Arrow-1 »