RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ask a musician who is attending a school for music.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
About things like the classes, or how snobby people are, or about theory, or whatever.

HaloOfTheSun is also qualified to answer questions, here.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
WHY CANT I WRITE THIS GOD DAMN CONCEPT ALBUM

Rep:
Level 96
WHY CANT I WRITE THIS GOD DAMN CONCEPT ALBUM
You really have to put yourself in the mood. Actually imagine you're taking part in the story. Visualize it in your head, and just, kinda, like, feel what's supposed to be going on musicwise. I guess.

lol this thread might be kinda tough

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
Do all you crazy cats do drugs to get inspired? :P

Srs questions, what kind of musicians are considered "the best" at your school? Why are so many music people pretentious?
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 96
Do all you crazy cats do drugs to get inspired? :P
My friends and I had an interesting discussion about this, because it applies to other forms of art as well.

It seems that, if you've never done a drug in your life, you can write some fucked up stuff. There's examples of it, though I don't remember any except for my own music. Phase Ii was written before I'd done ANYTHING, substance-wise, and it's weird.

The second part of this little fact is that, once you've done a drug, it seem that you can't get back to that crazy weird creativeness again unless you ARE under the influence of drugs. And I believe that to be true, too, because I can't write music that crazy anymore unless I'm on something.

So, yes and no, lol.
Srs questions, what kind of musicians are considered "the best" at your school?
There isn't really a sense of "the best" in our school. Not that I've noticed, anyway. We all know everyone must be good, since you have to audition to get in, and the people that are still around after the first semester obviously have what it takes to be in this school, to be a successful musician.

Now, I'm not a performance major, so there might actually be some competition between students that are in performance, but I haven't seen even a hint of it. We're pretty much all willing to help each other out. The performance people will gladly perform the composition major's pieces, the music tech people will gladly help you set up for your performance. People for the most part are really cool about other people's skills as a musician. But that brings us to

Why are so many music people pretentious?
I don't know, but they are. They're cool about how talented OTHER people are, but they still hold themselves in very high regard. I guess you could really just say they think all musicians are better than everyone else. Really, I'm not sure why we think this. It might be because, like, an extremely intelligent chemical engineer doesn't need to flaunt how good he is randomly and in public to other people. He doesn't need to be pretentious, because all that shit's on his resume and blahblah.

Musicians DO have to show off, because that's how they get noticed, and that's how they get jobs. I think that might have something to do with it.
It's a very competitive field, after all. Most people would rather be pretentious than completely unnoticed.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Although most of them are pretty nice, I've noticed the musicians that are the most pretentious are orchestral/band trumpet players, and violinists. Us drummers are pretty competitive with each other, but it's usually good-natured.

One thing is for sure though: music majors are some of the weirdest people you'll ever know, besides art majors. :)
:tinysmile:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
WILL DRUGS IMPROVE MY COMPOSING?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
We already covered that, Nightwolf. :O

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
so leber what effect do drugs have on making music

Rep:
Level 96
B&

edit: crap, you're a mod, too

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
What school do you go to?

Rep:
Level 96
Mary Pappert's School of Music, which is part of Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
What do you call a guy with three musicians?
A drummer.
Leons Vengance
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,24854.0.html

Project: Leons Vengance
Overall:10%
Maps:7%
Story:8%
Sidequests:4%
Database: 30%

Rep:
Level 96
or a soprano sax player (lol sax quartet)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
What are your favorite and least favorite instruments?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Why are flats so much more awesome than sharps?
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
What are your favorite and least favorite instruments?
Favorite: Guitar. Lol. Or Trumpet.
Least Favorite: Soprano Saxophone
Why are flats so much more awesome than sharps?
I wouldn't know, pal.  :mad:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Because b is a lot easier to write than #

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Will you write me a love song? 'cause I asked for it 'cause I need one,
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
My girl Sara Bareilles must have turned you down, huh?