RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Torch item (XP)

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
Hey you guys, I was wondering if there was an easy way to make a torch item, like the one from dragon quest.  Basically, you go in a cave and have a limited field of view, but when the item "torch" is used, the view expands a great deal.  I drew a little diagram to show what I'm talking about.. 

I'm just wondering how I should do the black circle part, a picture that follows the hero, and changes with common events?  That's my guess, but I'd like someone to walk me through it.  Plus, it'd be a nice bonus if the hero's sprite changed to a version where the hero is holding a torch.

Thanks!
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 88
As far as I know, you use a black picture with the center cut out as the 'darkness'. As to how you center it on the hero all of the time, even when he is in the corner of the screen, I don't know. When the torch is used, throw a switch that changes the size of the hole in the picture (different picture witha larger cut out).
STILL NEED FEEDBACK ON MY RUNNING/JUMPING SYSTEM!
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,16158.0.html

Rep:
Level 87
...I'M HUNGRY! Food plawks
I was recently working on the same thing: a simple yet limited way to do this is to have "dark" maps show the picture on entrance. The limitation is that you'll have to leave room between the edges of the map and the actual walls of the navigable area, or else when you enter a corner or go near the edge the picture will stop and your character will move out of the "light".
As for having a torch, just make another picture with a larger hole in the center and have it be shown instead of the first if the torch is held.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
In one of the databases, you can get a fog of war thing. Then, you could just call script that when you have torch, sight is more. If you don't have torch, sight is smaller.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I was recently working on the same thing: a simple yet limited way to do this is to have "dark" maps show the picture on entrance. The limitation is that you'll have to leave room between the edges of the map and the actual walls of the navigable area, or else when you enter a corner or go near the edge the picture will stop and your character will move out of the "light".
As for having a torch, just make another picture with a larger hole in the center and have it be shown instead of the first if the torch is held.

That limitation can be avoided by having the position of the picture dependent on the player's Screen X and Screen Y (through variables), rather than just set to cover the screen.

Rep:
Level 87
...I'M HUNGRY! Food plawks
oooh...thanx  ;D