RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] The problem with Vista. Check here if you have Vista, before posting.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Many suspected there would be numerous problems with windows Vista, sadly one of those problems relates to Game makers.

This topic has been created due to the problems already presented, and the assumption that many more will be found. Solutions and known problems will be posted here. If you have any problems, or solutions, then please post them here. I am currently searching the net for specific Vista gamemaker problems and will post them up.

Remember: There are many people who run these gamemakers on Vista with no problems at all, so hopefully there is a way to fix your problem.

Please do not post in the help section if your problem is already listed here and is unresolved.

If you do have solutions, be kind and post them.

Problem: Can't start new projects in 2K3.
Spoiler for:
Error messages: Project creation could not be completed.

Solution:
"in order to make RPG maker 2003 work in vista if it is giving this type of error you need to go to the file exe right click it and click compatibility and then check the box that says " run this program as system administrator" ~ Jinu

Problem: Downloading errors for RPGMaker XP (Postality Knights).
Spoiler for:
Error Mesages:

Solution: None as of yet, it may have something to do with Vistas downloading security system, try changing your settings.

Problem: Testing your game not working.
Spoiler for:
Error Messages: "Says theres a problem with the RGSS"

Solutions: None as of yet.

Problem: RMXP resolution problems.
Spoiler for:
Error Messages: needs at least 1024x768 resolution (or higher).

Solution:
None verified. Despite the fact that you may be running at a higher resolution then needed, try running the exact specified resolution in the error message.

Problem: "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from N Titles server."
Spoiler for:
Solution: Found: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/22121/t1111218-fixing-failed-to-obtain-trial-serial-number-from-titles-server-error/
1. Go to your root RMXP directory. (Usually CProgram Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP)

2. Right click RPGXP.exe and choose "Properties".

3. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

4. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

6. If you cannoth check the box mentioned in step 5, follow steps 7 through 11.

7. Click on the button that says "Show settings for all users".

8. Click the "OK" button on the "Windows needs your permission to continue" button, after inputting the password of the specified administrator if necessary.

9. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

10. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

11. Click the "OK" button.

12. Click the "OK" button.

13. Right click PSIKey.dll and choose "Properties".

14. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Security" tab.

15. Click on the "Advanced" button.

16. Highlight the permission entry that says "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)" where [your computer's name] is whatever you named your computer. (Mine is Media-PC)

17. Click the "Edit..." button.

18. Highlight the group "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)".

19. In the pop up that appears (It should be named "Permission Entry for PSIKey.dll", check the "Allow" box for the option "Full Control".

20. All of the "Allow" boxes below the box you just checked should now be checked as well.

21. Click the "OK" Button.

22. Check the box that says "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parents".

23. Click the "OK" button.

24. Click the "OK" Button.

25. Click the "OK" Button.

26. Run RPG Maker XP, and you should no longer get the error message!

27. If you still get the error message, log into the administrative account on the computer (With the owner's permission) and then run RPG Maker XP. It should work no matter what on that account, after you have successfully completed the above steps.

28. Have fun building games with the legal version of RPG Maker XP!

"Cannot connect to the nTitles server."

This is another common problem. Try one of the below things:

1. Check that you are connected to the internet, then try again.

2. Close all other applications (or just internet browsers) then try again.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Restart your router / Switch off WLAN switch and enable again if you have wireless internet.

Random Points:

There may be a problem with DirectX 10 running DX9 programs.

Run the program in XP compatible mode when playing AND when you install the maker.

Try turning off the AERO glass theme.

If the program doesn't work, run it in the Administrator account.

The most important tip: UNINSTALL VISTA YOU MORON.

This appeared to have some useful things in it. I just skimmed a few paragraphs~ 

Running XP Compatible mode:
-   Right click shortcut/executable and go the Compatibility tab
-   Check: Run this program in compatibility mode for:
-   Windows XP (Service Pack2)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:58:57 PM by modern algebra »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
awsome, jsut awsome work!

(your a mod, sweet!)
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Good thing I don't have Vista  :P

(your a mod, sweet!)

I've been wondering about that. I think Zypher is a mod now too, and Blizz is Extra Access. I'm so confused  ;8

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Actually, neither do I. It would be a big help if someone who did, would test some things for me...

(your a mod, sweet!)

I've been wondering about that. I think Zypher is a mod now too, and Blizz is Extra Access. I'm so confused  ;8

Blizzard stepped down and Zypher took his place, I became a mod a few days back, with a good enough reason I guess.

Thanks for the compliments, I figured it was needed.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Nice work this is needed since the problems popping up this week..
1 word !
Vista sucks like hell !!

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
every time I install vista i lose everything, so im returning it.  :=:

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
The Chosen Of Darkness...
No no no! I was really thinking this was a vista problem, but it's not! I decided that I would hook my laptop to the net, and try to download the rpg maker xp program to it, and to my suprise! It failed! The multi disk thing did not come up, but an error saying the file was currupt came up, and my laptop has windows xp!?! What in the world is going on!?! Heres the error screenshot ---

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:27:01 PM by Silvess »

The Chosen Of Darkness...
Ok after all I have been hearing about this RPG Maker XP/ Vista problem, and seeing it for myself, I am going to also see if there is something that can be done to fix the problems with this program colliding with Vistas setting's, and properties.There should be a solution soon.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:17:01 AM by Silvess »

Rep:
Level 88
Hello.
I tryied to start the program,but I got this Error : Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitle server. I have 64bit Windows Vista. It was working at abou a weak ago on 32bit WIN Vista without any problem. Could someone please help me? THANX

PS: I have RMXP 1.02a downloaded from download.com

Rep:
Level 87

Actually, neither do I. It would be a big help if someone who did, would test some things for me...

i will if it'll help along the RGSS Player problem. i cant do a thing until that works...

Rep:
Level 87
i do..... >:(...lol.....n e wayz....i did wat you say it dozent work so im juz gonna wait till my broken cp get fixd so i use that one

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
i do..... >:(...lol.....n e wayz....i did wat you say it dozent work so im juz gonna wait till my broken cp get fixd so i use that one

Yes, I have no clue as to what that means... Perhaps try spelling it in proper English..?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Don't worry, I've got this one.

My Translation
I do. Anyways, I did what you said, and it doesn't work, so I'm just going to wait until my broken computer gets fixed, so I use that one.

Firefox Spell Check
i do..... Angry...loll.....n e way....i did swat you say it dozenth work so mi Luz gonna wait till my broken cap get fixed so i use that one

Hey!  :mex:

I've got Vista and when I open up RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition ENHANCED it just immediately comes up with "RPG Maker XP has stopped working, we are searching for a solution".  It is already run in the Administrator mode. Does anyone have another solution and also tell me how to do Windows XP compatibility mode?

Thanks,

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
@Differentpeople:

XP Compatible mode – right click shortcut/executable and go the Compatibility tab

@Differentpeople:

XP Compatible mode – right click shortcut/executable and go the Compatibility tab

That didn't work for me and neither does turning off the Aero interface. Are there any other options?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Of course;

The most important tip: UNINSTALL VISTA YOU MORON.

Rep:
Level 87

i will if it'll help along the RGSS Player problem. i cant do a thing until that works...

lol.......itz juzt that when i run xp rpgmaker...it immedeatly pops up as its not working

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I never had any problems with Vista  ???
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Many people don't have a problem, that's why it's so annoying. If it was just a single problem identical on all versions it would be a simple fix, but most peoples solutions don't work for one another...

Rep:
Level 87
i am so amd i want tu get dat sh1t rite now

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I think if you have a 64-bit version of Vista there will be a far greater risk of RMXP not running than compared to a 32-bit version.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Many people don't have a problem, that's why it's so annoying. If it was just a single problem identical on all versions it would be a simple fix, but most peoples solutions don't work for one another...

that's why I'm geting a Mac

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
I R 3V1L!!111!!1
I have vista in my computer here.
I have had the same thing where once it starts it shuts down the RPG maker.
(i have an XP compiuter too, but i do all my work on that only, I test demos and scripts that i download, here, but vista wont play em.)
What i did was switch it to run undr windows XP service pack 2 and restarted my computer. Once i did that i could run RPG maker XP, but any projects i made or any demos i DL, i couldnt play them.....
I just thought of it now im going to change the project to run in XP too. maybe thatll work....
BRB be back with results

Edit---- No it didnt work.......
oh well. ive been looking for ways.

VISTA SUCKS. i hate it... the only reason i have it because i got myself a better computer and it is preinstalled..
so now i have one computer up for XP only stuff. and one for vista  >:( :P 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:26:38 AM by Doom_master1122 »

Rep:
Level 87
this is ridikulos...i need this rpg maker