RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Where do you find inspiration?

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I had this post in an incorrect forum, so I've reposted here!

Hello... thought I would try out a NEW topic rather than "necro" an old mummy post from way back when!  For ONCE, eh, Blizzard?

Creativity on demand, it's not easy!  Most of my work involves creativity, so I'm always trying to find ways to inspire myself.

I tend to watch some sort of film or television show while working, like Farscape, Babylon 5, even good old Twilight Zone.

What about the rest of you?  Where do you find your greatest "boost" to your creativity?  Movies, books, anime?

Perhaps we could turn this into some sort of poll?
Jonathan Sodalis www.sodalisrpg.com
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
        -from "The Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I guess I get my greatest inspiration in playing videogames, after an hour of walking through dangerous territory in Morrowind, how can I not imagine whats around?  I think about what could be in the game (any game), and then I try and draw it.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I am just learning Tabit, i can't do great stuff. But i dont tend to copy any videogame/movie music (unless it;s challenging) there is no creativity in that. You're just making something already made. I usually think of a theme, mostly nature. Maybe i think about life, make a happy song, going sad at moments, and coming to a end is slow. Etc. Thats from where i get my inspiration
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I think of a catchy song bit in my head, and have to immediately transcribe it. Then I just kind of get sucked in and lose hours sculpting it. I throw away a lot of ideas that just never branch out.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I wish I knew where I got my inspiration, as I've had none recently ;9
bringing sexy back

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
lol Silver, well, sometimes you jsut dont feel like it. ITS NOT THAT YOU DONT HAV INSPIRTATION.

Maybe you just lack respiration...
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Mainly games and movies/anime...
Most of my themes and characters are of what I wish the world or people I know/or myself was like.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'll be your inspiration, Roph.  :'(

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I wish I knew where I got my inspiration, as I've had none recently ;9

I go through slumps like that too. The best thing to bring myself out of them is to do an arrangement, or model something off another song.

As for where my inspiration comes from: pretty much anywhere. I'm writing a four-movement piece now inspired from a book I just read, and everything seems to be going pretty well. I'll have to try this method more in the future.
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I agree with Halo. Just by watching crappy DBGT I got some of it (not for music, lol). I often get inspiration when I go to the bathroom. !_! It's just this moment where my brain isn't busy with something else and some inspiration slips through to me.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 94
We talked about this in the synesthesia thread, but often while drifting off to sleep, I'll think of a melody or rhythm and have to jump up to record it so I don't forget it. I think its because my subconscious opens up and the ideas just flow out.

Rep:
Level 87
Nature inspires me, as well as music. Other artwork is also great inspiration.
Refrain from calculating your juvenile poultry prior to the incubation process's execution.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I agree with Halo. Just by watching crappy DBGT I got some of it (not for music, lol). I often get inspiration when I go to the bathroom. !_! It's just this moment where my brain isn't busy with something else and some inspiration slips through to me.

Often I'll think of something that would be really cool while I'm in the shower, then by the time I get out, I can't remember exactly how it went. In fact, I know several people who have this problem.
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
It happened to me just too many times that I had not only a good melody in my head, but the entire song before I went sleeping. Next morning it's all gone. :(
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
That is the reason, i spend my life in the bathroom.
Arlen is hot.

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
I found this topic interesting...
I usually find inspiration from games, music, nature, or people around me.
Sometimes game characters gave me the 'feeling' too. Especially if they're ANGSTY.

Bathroom and bedroom are the best place to wake inspirations too.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
When I'm in school or I take a shower.

When I'm in school I write entire songs in my head (who pays attention in school anyways? lol) and forget them when I get home. ;_;

When I take a shower I do the same thing, except I don't forget them.

My inspiration itself comes from many things. Love, death, or anything I can think of.
Music is a language all its own. When I write music, I'm not writing notes, heck no. I'm simply translating a story into a different language.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 92
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity...
My inspiration comes from everywhere, but mostly I hear a song and I think, "Hey, I could make something like that!" Or I play a game and think, " That would be cool in my game!"
DEATH: Master of Time, your life is at it's end! Mwahahahaha!
MOT: Whatever, dude *throws crumpled piece of paper at Death and runs away*
DEATH:....?

Rep:
Level 88
I have certain times of highest mental activity, usually in the morning or after doing physical work. These and these alone inspire me to a point where I can construct decently, since, by chance, my mind might dwell upon the subject of my creative projects, triggering the creation of some of tmy best ideas. These times are very nice, but they are just as rare.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
My inspiration comes from everywhere, but mostly I hear a song and I think, "Hey, I could make something like that!" Or I play a game and think, " That would be cool in my game!"
Thinking is such a waste of time

LOL jk.

(who pays attention in school anyways? lol)

LOL.

A Bathroom is a composers heaven.
-Wise man.
-aka me
Arlen is hot.