RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Granciel Witches (trial)

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I've been playing the trial for Granciel Witches quite some time ago, and to make things short, it's one of the best RPG Maker XP games I've ever played.

Granciel Witches is a game which revolves around the prestigious (did I spell that right?) Granciel Magic Academy, the main character "Lina Wisteria", and her class, the Black Cat class. The game starts off with her having to find her room and her new roomate, Fiona Lithops.

Class then begins, and a tutorial introducing you to the game's battle system starts, with the teacher explaining on how to go around it. (But since the game is in Japanese, chances are, many won't be able to read it. Well, it's easy enough to understand.)

The demo boasts a item fusion system where you may fuse items that enemies drop, with the cost of some NoL. (the games currency) The main characters may then equip the items for further stat boosts. The normal level-up system remains as a means for the characters to gain their skills.

This is what the battle system looks like.

This is the first boss battle which ends the demo after that, but you can return to this cave after the entire demo and continue experiencing the day/night system, which is indicated by the clock on the upper left side of the screen.

The battle animations, so far are mostly RTP. That's not really a bad thing, but it doesn't fit with the game sometimes, and the game lags at points when most of the characters are executing an action. That doesn't stop the game from being awesome, though.

It is said in the website that the full version will have a Plant Garden, where you may grow vegetables and useful items, an Affection System with your classmates (who are all girls, by the way.), where the choices you make as you progress will affect the story and probably, the ending. It also has a Skill Tree, where you gain points as you level up, thus enabling more skills to be learn.

The music fits the mood of every map, the cheery mood of the school, battle, and such. Not much can be said, but it's good.

The battle system does not actually use MP/SP, because the game pretty much bases around magic, it'd be bad if you lose all your MP. As such, it is replaced with casting delay, the time frame of preparation after making commands. Powerful spells tend to have longer casting delay, while weak spells usually execute first.

As for damage balance, it is balanced to the point that it's easy to find your characters in danger despite having fought a lot, as the battle system really progresses so fast, it's difficult to keep track of your actions. As such, it is important to keep your characters well healed, or you'd find yourself in a pinch.

The characters, having only experienced 3, I can't give a general say, but there are individual traits and quirks.
As you choose some of the actions that the main character, Lina does, it's difficult to mention what she actually is like. (Though, I could be at fault since I barely read the script.) She plays the role of the 'close combat person' in the party. Quick with her knife, she can also cast spells like Fire Blast.

Her roommate, Fiona strikes everyone as the normal, tame little healer girl who supports the team whenever they are in a pinch. For the most part, she actually is, but she also acts as the voice of reason in the party, and can be quite scary while doing so. She plays the role of 'Support' in the party. She can still attack, though.

The classmate which you are partied with, Minae, strikes me as somewhat of a klutz. (I may be wrong, though) She gives you the ability to fly across pits in dungeons. From what I can tell from the different designs on the characters, they are all very different, and if this game was translated into english, I'm sure everyone will get the opportunity to enjoy the characters' different traits and quirks. She plays the role of 'NUKE' in the team, nuff' said.

The characters and maps, are mostly custom, and wonderful effort has been put into the spriting job of the characters. I can't say the same about the classroom, though. While you're in the classroom, everybodys' tables are all little brown boxes (though, I can't provide any screenshots since I finished the demo and is not allowed into the class anymore.). Even then, whenever I play this game, I kneel down in shame, never being able to bring my head up to face the world. It's that good, and I recommend that people who can understand some Japanese play it. It's still relatively easy despite, since the Menu is in English.

For final words, uhh...

Fiona <3

and without further ado, Granciel Witches.

Maps NULL/10 (Since you can only move left and right. But there are obstacles.)
Storyline 9/10
Originality 10/10 (This is awesome, for a RPG Maker XP game.)
Fun 10/10 (VERY fun and challenging.)
Graphics 9/10
When it is done : Tentatively Winter 2007 (It's on the website.)
Overall - 38/40
Worth downloading? - For 13MB, what are you waiting for?! Go download it!
Worth buying? - If you can't understand the dialog, it's a little difficult, but for those who can, please go buy it when it comes out this Winter. (It might be a little difficult, since you have to import it...)

EDIT: As I got lost on some occasions, the trial went all the way to an hour for me. But if anyone knew what he was doing, he'd finish the trial in about 40-50 minutes.

Moyasi White, I take my hat off to you.

(Sorry for the long review.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:14:54 PM by Teokeez »

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Wow
Nice review also nice game !
To bad its japanese/chinese