RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A Debate on the debate section

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Ok, here's my topic to debate on. When I pointed out that the "New Topic" button should be unlocked in here, it was kindly obliged by Silver. Later in the discussion, someone said that not all Intelligent Debate topics had to be about something deep like religion or politics. I totally agreed. But now, I'm seeing all the less life-altering discussions being moved to General Chat. So my debate is: What is considered eligible to be an Intelligent Debate? Why didn't the "Effects of Video Games" post qualify? That was an honest topic, and should, in my opinion, have been left where it was started. What do you think?

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
The new post button was disabled because of all the worthless posts we had poping up here. And at any time a post starts going on about something non-related or starts spamming/flamming then it is moved. This happens to almost all posts cause ppl don't know how to debate.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Thats not what my topic is about.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
The topic is good, but the posts are not. Simple as that. Sorry, if I offended you by that in any way. =/
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 94
No, I'm not offended, I just thought that it warranted a discussion on what can be considered Intelligent Debate. I understand that the spamming can get out of control sometimes, and as a Mod you have to take the time to clean it up, but the topic shouldn't have to suffer. I have to admit, as well as I think everyone should, that I've posted a flame reply every now and then. It just comes natural. I guess the only thing that can be done is to weed out the people that can't handle the permission to post here. All it takes is a little common sense and self control. Now, I've gotten off topic, but I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was singling you out. That wasn't my intention.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Ok, no problem then. :) As I said the other day, it's not easy to judge what is intelligent debate and what not. But mostly when you see one page of posts where a few people only say a few words, it just doesn't like intelligent debate. That's why I moved those topics the other day.
As you said flaming comes natural. Mostly it happens if people start posting bullshit, lol! But that's no reason to move a topic.

EDIT:

You see... This topic is kinda turning into an intelligent debate. "What is intelligent debate?"
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 94
Exactly, and that was my point from the beginning. I think that anything can become an intelligent debate if people are smart about it. The video games topic was actually a great idea in my opinion. Its a shame that people have to ruin things by acting immature. So I guess the question isn't "What makes a topic eligible for ID," but rather "How long before all topics spiral into entropic decay?"

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Lol, true. Every topic can become intelligent debate. Even a topic in spam. So it doesn't have to be in ID to be/become intelligent. It's up to us. If something like this happens, the topics can be moved.
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I think it's clearcut, general chat is just that, something involved in normal discussion, compared to intelligent debate in which involves something on a deeper level, a more meaningful level. The classifications of what "intelligent conversation" has nothing to do with this, while I'm sure "is drinking alcohol a sin?" a topic that could involve serious lines within, quite frankly I don't want to see this section filled with spammy, whiny topics just like that.

It's when I see members like Iroc in here that I know a topic is off cue... Also, I normally don't care about other peoples grammar, but this is the one place I do. I don't care if you miss an apostrophe, but if I can't make out what the fuck you are saying, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Honestly if any one has every wondered why I don't come by here much I'll explain. No matter how good a topic starts out here I see any 'intelecence' within it slowly break away and give rise to flames, spam and crack pot theories. I find that topics almost always get ruined here, hence why I don't stop by much.

But on topic, for something to be truly intellegent, the topic has to take a long time before it degrades into something that agrivates me. The longer it can hold out the more it qualifies as intellegent debate in  my opinion.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Wow, you can sound intelligent as well, Fu. ;8 Why don't you post in ID more often? I mean except the reason you already told us.
Visit our website.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
The other reason I don't post here much Is because i'm incredibly lazy.

Rep:
Level 94
All topics get ruined eventually. Its just that some last longer than others. I do agree with the spelling/grammar issue though. I think if you have an idea worth bringing to light, you should be able to present it in a clear, legible manner.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I personally think this whole forum is unnecessary. But that's just me =/

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Well, with no LoS, Gonorrhea or Saladin/JH there certainly hasn't been anyone intelligent to debate...

Rep:
Level 94
That's a pretty presumptuous comment. I don't hear MENSA busting down your doors begging for your membership, so who makes you the authority on what makes someone intelligent? I also think its funny that the three people you named are the ones who seemed to have had the most to prove. Taking no less than 600 words to try and come off as superior is not a debate, regardless of what JH thought.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Perhaps if you read all of his posts you could see that he had highly intelligent thoughts and excluding some rudeness was quite smart. Perhaps if you thought all they where saying was a big "screw you" then you simply couldn't understand what they where writing..?

As to the rest, I think that would make you  quite presumptuous on my intelligences, I think I've seen you post about four times in here and whether you where around or not I doubt you have any clue as to who I  am. That was my opinion, something directed around my personal thoughts.

Rep:
Level 94
The way you presented yourself through that post was insulting enough for me not to bother caring "who you are". To me, you are nothing original. Just another person who holds themselves in such a high regard that you think you set the bar for intellect. There are plenty of smart, creative, and enlightened people here. Having an opinion that the minority doesn't share does not equal higher brain power. I would much rather have a conversation with any of those people that you consider unintelligent. At least most of them have some damn manners.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
And I would rather debate someone who has an indept clue as to what they're discussing rather then some one who says their "pleases" and "thank yous", I don't enjoy having to explain to ( certain ) people what I'm talking about after every post ( and no, not because what I say is asinine ) and while many people here have a brain, very few of them post in this section on a regular basis. The only people who have made a long lasting impression of intelligence on me are those three, many of who I strongly disagree with.

I apologise if I have offended you but that is my option from personal experience.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
while many people here have a brain, very few of them post in this section on a regular basis.

This is why I think this forum is unnecessary. It's just a place for kids to try and impress their intelligence (or lack thereof).

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
This is why I think this forum is unnecessary. It's just a place for kids to try and impress their intelligence (or lack thereof).

Well it certainly ( if not mainly ) is that now. I remember a while back it was only a small variety of people who debated in here and the learned would utterly attack naive people keeping them out, in other words keeping the order. But recently I have mainly seen spam posted by people without a clue on what they're trying to debate, or children starting stupid threads that would still be shameful in general chat.

I'm seeing a decline in quality that I'm sure will only sadly increase...

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
It's necessary because, even through all the shit and spam, there are still serious conversations to be had. I mean, even in this part of the forum, it isn't guaranteed that they'll be handled completely maturely, but at least they have more of a chance to develop than they would have in general chat.

EDIT: Also, Intelligent Debate is NOT Extra Access. People do not need special passes to get in here. It's true that people make stupid posts here, but the same people occasionally do have some good insight to a topic. It's a public part of the forum because it is a place for ALL members to express their thoughts and opinions, not just a select "intelligent" few. The people who would "attack" the "naive" people to keep them out all had the same views and points to make. And they did make them- repeatedly. It was the newcomers that had the ideas that would even keep a debate going. Aside from the religion threads, it was usually complete noobs that created the most posted-in topics, regardless of how retarded they were
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:44:44 AM by Djangonator »
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
That's a pretty presumptuous comment. I don't hear MENSA busting down your doors begging for your membership, so who makes you the authority on what makes someone intelligent? I also think its funny that the three people you named are the ones who seemed to have had the most to prove. Taking no less than 600 words to try and come off as superior is not a debate, regardless of what JH thought.

<3

The way you presented yourself through that post was insulting enough for me not to bother caring "who you are". To me, you are nothing original. Just another person who holds themselves in such a high regard that you think you set the bar for intellect. There are plenty of smart, creative, and enlightened people here. Having an opinion that the minority doesn't share does not equal higher brain power. I would much rather have a conversation with any of those people that you consider unintelligent. At least most of them have some damn manners.

You know, Saucy... Remember when you said to me "But I am no showing it."? I thought "Oh Gosh, she's also blind..." Holk pretty much summed it up. I just stopped, because I didn't want to start a PM argument, since I don't care.

Also, Intelligent Debate is NOT Extra Access. People do not need special passes to get in here. It's true that people make stupid posts here, but the same people occasionally do have some good insight to a topic. It's a public part of the forum because it is a place for ALL members to express their thoughts and opinions, not just a select "intelligent" few. The people who would "attack" the "naive" people to keep them out all had the same views and points to make. And they did make them- repeatedly. It was the newcomers that had the ideas that would even keep a debate going. Aside from the religion threads, it was usually complete noobs that created the most posted-in topics, regardless of how retarded they were

I agree. Main reason why topics should be posted in GC first and then moved to ID if they get intelligent.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:21:47 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Hmmmmm... I wonder what the "P" stands for in "PM"?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
What, you offended by this?

"But I am no showing it."

Nobody said I can't post what I think about you. Again, I'm not here to argue. But if you really don't want to drop the matter, PM me. ::) We can have some make-up sex after that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:16:13 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
It's necessary because, even through all the shit and spam, there are still serious conversations to be had. I mean, even in this part of the forum, it isn't guaranteed that they'll be handled completely maturely, but at least they have more of a chance to develop than they would have in general chat.

This is true, but I only come to the forums for lols anyway so my opinion's a bit biased.