RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP]Rules Of Mapping (last Updated: March 13th)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Rules Of Mapping
Before you begin mapping please read these rules.

Rule #1
Spoiler for:
Nature is random, so don't ever make it square.

Avoid this.

Don't do this.

Or this.

As you can see the maker of Legacy Of The Gatekeeper and I(not really) should be ashamed. Make a bad map and I will see it! Do you want everyone to see your ugly, square, not random maps?

Instead be random and not square with nature, and be creative with the shape of buildings.

Made by me.

Made by Blizzard.

Made by Nouman.

Made by Nouman.

Please view RMRK's fine mapping tutorials and don't ever make anything square.
Rule #2
Spoiler for:
Don't leave your indoor maps empty.

What we're trying to avoid is this...

As you can see, that's a pretty ugly map. Do you know why? It's too open and boring. Try and make your maps fun and not so empty!
like this...

That's a pretty good map compared to most maps I see today. It's filled with all sorts of things like a real house. remember, don't overdue it.
Rule #3
Spoiler for:
Draw out your dungeons and puzzles before you make them.

Make an easy to understand layout with paths coordinated by colors. List important switches, chests, and stairs.  Failing to do so can lead to easy, boring dungeons. Now you can map your dungeon!
Rule #4
Spoiler for:
Watch your heights.

If your going to make a bridge linking from one cliff to another, make sure the cliffs are the same height.

Don't do this.

As you can see the cliff to the right is higher than the one on the left.

Instead make sure they are the same elevation!

Rule #5
Spoiler for:
Make sure your layering is correct.

Don't do something like this.

As you can see a tree that should be behind the others is looking pretty messed up. Why? Because it's on the third layer instead of the second layer! Make sure the ones in front are on the 3rd layer, and the one in the back is on the 2nd layer. The lower the layer, the lower or further it will be.

This is not complete, I will update the thread with new rules frequently.

Once you've read these rules please visit this thread. It has an excelent amount of tutorial links for all sorts of things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:30:07 PM by grafikal »

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Darkloard?

You say nature is random and squares are bad, and you give examples of houses? Houses can be in square shapes, and they are not supposed to be random. Houses are man made, and symmetry is fine in houses.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I agree with DL. And where's my map tute pic? :'(
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
agreed. not bad but could use some fixing.

xD my worst map had to be choosen

Spoiler for:
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Okay Blizz, lol. I put your map up.

I just noticed Nouman....your map was square. So I had to remove it :'(

And Darklord, I didn't mean it like that about houses. I meant to not make one giant square for a room.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Squares and rectangle work fine for rooms, I've made a few inns and shops which were just one room, in a square/rectangle shape.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Im going to ask the question everyone wants to know the answer to:

Why post this if on like every mapping tutorial it says all this in 3 lines? Is there any need?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Quote from: Topic Title
Re: First Rule Of Mapping (Read before mapping)
Visit our website.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
that dosnt answer my question  :(

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Well, I was looking through another topic when I saw Blizzard say screenshots make everything more attractive. :P Also, for me, the screenshots help me get an understanding of what not to do and what a good map should look like.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
can I get a re-try that screenshot was taken from a mapping tut I made in november...I am WAY better. so maybe another try  :-\

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 102
:o

Wow, Okeydokey. :D

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Why thank you. also I believe if you make a second rule or continue change this to Rules of mapping, and list them under spoliers.

Also may I linky this under you know what  ::)

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Wow..., Nouman. I really like the desert map XD I never have the ability to make a huge map because I think it'll look really repetitive and I always forgot to use lots of terrain (which I'm not really good at >_>). Nice maps!

Rep:
Level 102
Why thank you. also I believe if you make a second rule or continue change this to Rules of mapping, and list them under spoliers.

Also may I linky this under you know what  ::)
Be my guest. ;D

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Ok; now you added the other bits it rather helpful  ;8

Good examples of good maps aswell

Rep:
Level 102
Thank you very much.

Rep:
Level 88
This is really useful you know. I've read your guys tutorials, and it's helped my mapping get better, lol!

Rep:
Level 87
wow those are nice maps

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Thanks, that really helped me!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
holy fucking old. i'm more surprised that the images aren't broken.

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
Rules Of Mapping
Before you begin mapping please read these rules.

Rule #1
Spoiler for:
Nature is random, so don't ever make it square.

Avoid this.

Don't do this.

Or this.

As you can see the maker of Legacy Of The Gatekeeper and I(not really) should be ashamed. Make a bad map and I will see it! Do you want everyone to see your ugly, square, not random maps?

Instead be random and not square with nature, and be creative with the shape of buildings.

Made by me.

Made by Blizzard.

Made by Nouman.

Made by Nouman.

Please view RMRK's fine mapping tutorials and don't ever make anything square.
Rule #2
Spoiler for:
Don't leave your indoor maps empty.

What we're trying to avoid is this...

As you can see, that's a pretty ugly map. Do you know why? It's too open and boring. Try and make your maps fun and not so empty!
like this...

That's a pretty good map compared to most maps I see today. It's filled with all sorts of things like a real house. remember, don't overdue it.
Rule #3
Spoiler for:
Draw out your dungeons and puzzles before you make them.

Make an easy to understand layout with paths coordinated by colors. List important switches, chests, and stairs.  Failing to do so can lead to easy, boring dungeons. Now you can map your dungeon!
Rule #4
Spoiler for:
Watch your heights.

If your going to make a bridge linking from one cliff to another, make sure the cliffs are the same height.

Don't do this.

As you can see the cliff to the right is higher than the one on the left.

Instead make sure they are the same elevation!

Rule #5
Spoiler for:
Make sure your layering is correct.

Don't do something like this.

As you can see a tree that should be behind the others is looking pretty messed up. Why? Because it's on the third layer instead of the second layer! Make sure the ones in front are on the 3rd layer, and the one in the back is on the 2nd layer. The lower the layer, the lower or further it will be.

This is not complete, I will update the thread with new rules frequently.

Once you've read these rules please visit this thread. It has an excelent amount of tutorial links for all sorts of things.

To be honest I am making my first game, and I was stupid enough to make nature square <-- (lol) after I read your post, my maps look a lot better :) Thanks !

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
Thanks. I actually did make a square map. >.>
Is it illegal to kill a man because it's a sin, or because war weren't declared?

And is this how you would treat an "idiot", dear sir, or is it just how you troll?

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Here's also a good example of creative mapping :

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Wow, indeed O_O
bringing sexy back