RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Steel Hearts

Rep:
Level 87
Project of the Month winner for December 2007

Click on the image to enter the official website.

Background Information
'Steel Hearts' is an SRPG (Strategy Role Playing Game) project currently in its early stages of development. Although serious in appearance, the game is satirical in nature, poking fun at the many clichés in Japanese Cartoons or 'Anime', like the stereotypical schoolgirls, giant robots, martial arts, and the like. The game will look almost as if you were actually watching an Anime show, and is divided into episodes. As a team mostly composed of graphic artists, our main tendency is to give aesthetics greater emphasis, but we are hoping we also develop solid and innovative gameplay. We don't aim to be the best, but all the same, we'd like to make something everyone will enjoy.

Story
The story of Steel Hearts is set in Nieau City, a steampunk-ish setting that looks like a mix of London during the Victorian era and an industrial Tokyo of sorts.

The story is set in a world like the 1900's, where the world is at the mercy of a great war. With travelling and trade becoming more difficult by the day, oil and petrolium became more and more difficult to import, so the people of Nieau City turned to their abundant local supply of coal for energy. Because of this, residents have developed an extensive use of complex steam technology. Everyday things from bath heaters to cars rely on steam engines to function.

Seven years ago, strange meteorites fell from the sky into a nearby mountain pass. Shortly after, giant creatures known as 'Phantoms' began emerging around the area where the meteorites fell. At first they were relatively few, but as the years passed, their numbers grew at an alarming rate.

Recognizing the threat to public safety these creatures posed, the government commissioned a formerly retired commander to form a team known as the Aesir, that would pilot giant robots called Aegis that were made to combat the Phantoms and to protect the city from danger.

Ryan, a newly transferred Junior, finds himself caught in the middle of a fierce battle between the Aegis and Phantoms. In a desperate attempt to stay alive, he boards an unmanned Aegis which mysteriously activates on its own and defeats the Phantoms. Now, he's been recruited as captain of a team of four beautiful, demon-slaying, robot-riding, and very temperamental school girls. Lord help him.

Media

Characters

Picture © Ippus
L-R Lillia, May, Ryan, Mariel, Maria
Given the state of unrest the city was in, the government was finally forced to form Athena, an organization made to protect the city and investigate the Phantom threat. Under Athena is the Aesir Division, five gifted children with the ability to pilot giant machines known as the Aegis tasked with the job of exterminating all Phantoms that threaten to disrupt peace within the city.

Ryan
© Dao
Year: Junior
Aegis: SH-001, The Peony
Bio:
Ryan's not your ordinary RPG protagonist. He doesn't have the funky hair, dark past, and freakishly powerful final attack certain RPG characters *cough*Cloud*cough* have, and he's certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed either. He's a pushover. He comes as a bit of weakling to others at first as well. He's the new captain of the Aegis team despite all that though, much to the delight/dismay of the rest of the pilots. He may seem unreliable, but he's definitely one of those people that'll come running to help out whoever's in need.

May
© Yanilyn
Year: Senior
Aegis: SH-003, The Magnolia
Bio:
May comes from a family of shamans from the east who are proud of their heritage and strict with their traditions. She lives a rather sheltered life at home and is quite submissive toward her parents. It was probably only due to the urging of the Commander and her own older brother that she was allowed to join Aesir.

May's the sweet and quiet girl of the group, always ready to help anyone in need. She spends most of her time refereeing bouts between Lillia and Mariel, or dodging her army of suitors.

Lillia
© kyoko
Year: Senior
Aegis: SH-002, The Iris
Bio:
Lillia's an outspoken and a headstrong kind of person. She's a very capable leader, probably more so than Ryan, but her temper often gets the best of her. She may come off as a bit snobby to some people, but she's actually a very caring person, often thinking of the well being of others before herself

Mariel
© ippus
Year: Junior
Aegis: SH-004, The Camellia
Bio:
Orphaned at birth, Mariel spent most of her life in an orphanage, in the company of very rough children. It was only when she was six that a man took her in, giving her a new home, proper schooling, and a better life.

One day the man that took her in went missing while working near the crash site. Mariel joins Aesir in hopes of finding clues on the whereabouts of the only person she's ever called family.

Mariel is strong willed and determined, probably because of her several years of living alone. She does show a sense of humor every now and then though, but mostly at Ryan's expense.

Maria
© sabao
Year: Freshman
Aegis: SH-005, The Sampaguita
Bio:
Maria's a child prodigy. She's a straight-A student, top actress of the drama club, and star athlete of the gymnastics team. However, what she has in talent, she lacks in maturity. Being only thirteen, she's rather naive and gullible, which often becomes her undoing. She's energetic and upbeat, very evidently shown in her reckless fighting style on her Aegis.

Staff
  • sabao - Team Leader, Writer, Scenario
  • Yanilyn - Co-leader, Lead Character Design
  • MobileSuitGio - Mecha Design
  • ippus - Main Artist
  • Kyoko - Second Artist
  • Ember Reed - Musical Composer / Environment Artist
  • AceJP - Musical Composer
  • The Cry of Fallen Angels - Character Spriter
  • Despain - Character Spriter / Tileset Spriter
  • TMK - Mech Spriter
  • Baskinein - Scripter
  • Squall - Scripter
Features
  • 99% All- original, all hand- drawn graphics exclusively made for this game.
  • Beautifully illustrated characters and backdrops.
  • An all original musical score
  • The Sync System, a system where what you say and do to your team mates will affect their good will toward the hero and affect their teamwork in battle and certain minor events in the story.
  • A Full Tactics Battle System.
  • A Life Simulator, more or less. Aside from fighting monsters, Ryan has to live his life too right? Get a job to buy stuff, study so you don't fail tomorrow's pop quiz!
Credits

xepher.net

#hive

#talkpinoy

rmxp.net / hbgames.org
  • g_man_450
  • Aevora
  • dubealex
  • Lelli / Reruri-Chan
deviantART
  • Ryan 'DaOne' Duldulao
  • Tak Seng 'Kaede' Kho
  • Ranier 'yuirei' Buccat
  • Darlene 'Dakie' Segura
  • Joanna 'Rika' Sioson
Voice Acting Alliance
  • Zidane
  • Batgirl
  • Utada
  • Ishtar
  • Haushinka
  • ShockDingo
  • FenixOnslaught
  • Belle
  • Enchantma
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:28:36 PM by modern algebra »

Steel Hearts - Anime Strategy RPG

Rep:
Level 88
Gone.
I went to your page, you rock bro. Keep up the fantastic work
Good Bye. RMRK you were cool while I wasn't there.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Agreed, I love the website. Wish you luck on your project :)

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Looks, great! Best of luck to you and this project.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
You draw them yourself !?

Good luck with this it looks very cool !!11

Rep:
Level 87
You draw them yourself !?
I thought I made that clear in the credits...

Anyway, no. While I do draw and will accept requests to draw for other projects, my friends are the ones handling the art, since my art pales in comparison to theirs. All of us threw in our own character designs into the game, my girlfriend revises them to have the same style and look for the game, and then our friend ippus draws and colors the final products.

Rep:
Level 88
No.. i think he some sort of Midboss
it looks great, sounds(reads)great good luck.
"Life is a struggle; technology creates more idiot proof things, and the universe creates better idiots; so far the universe is winning" -Shino_Ryuu

Rep:
Level 87
Oh yeah. I have another screenshot. I'm testing a different message window is all. I may keep the regular one though since this one creates too much empty space.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
WHAT I THINK !?

(censorship) THAT'S WHAT I TINK  :=:

Rep:
Level 87
Uh, okay. I'll take that as a good thing.

Ah, and we need help in the scripting department... Particularly with building a CMS.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:01:33 PM by sabao »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
You can request a CMS in the scripts section. I'm sure someone will be nice enough to make it.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90

Ah, and we need help in the scripting department... Particularly with building a CMS.

Yep it's a good thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I don't know why this wasn't already moved. :)

Good luck with your project. I remember when you started it, it looks like you're still making some progress. :D

Also : While I like the new one (able to see images better) it seems a bit small. Maybe a compromise between the two message windows?
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
eh, wasn't moved because:

"5.)  DEMO! No demo, no moving. At least half an hour playtime required."
but I don't think that rule really matters...

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
Damn, your pretty good artist. Well, keep up the good work!
"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy

Rep:
Level 88
WOW OH WOW. :tpg:

Rep:
Level 88
Menu & Battle System Guru

you know how i do Sabao, give me a layout and its urs.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I've been a fan since I saw your topic in rmxp and I've been waiting for ages for something like a demo...this is amazing your here, I'll be able to check up more!

~Winged

Rep:
Level 87
Nouman: I think I'll do just that next time. Thanks.

Snailer: Thank you then. :)

Tsunokiette: Blizzard kindly pointed out that I lacked a demo, actually. Nouman too. But eh, thanks for the move anyway. :P

The message window adjusts to the length of the message, and the font size is changeable as well, obviously. At the moment, that portrait is just a picture called on by events. I have to manually position an invisible event on the map to look like the speech bubble would come from the portrait. It's a hit or miss affair, really, like a game of pin the tail on the donkey. I'm worried that if the messages were longer they wouldn't fit or align properly above the character's head anymore.

Kaitenshin: Apparently, no one reads the credits anymore.

blazinhandle: Expect the layout image on your PM box soon. :D

Winged: I can't say when yet, but hopefully we'll have a demo ready soon.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
An SRPG you say? I am curious as to how you are handling the battle system. Care to explain it and maybe give some screenshots?

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Guess what? I had a dream that I was playing a demo of yours  ;8

Your battle system was godly, but it kept changing cause thats how dreams are. A grid was lined out on the field and it like was chess but 100 times faster and.  ;D

Was my dream right?

~Winged

Rep:
Level 87
Gijgames: Imagine playing FF Tactics, minus the 3D isometric maps and that's pretty much it. The battle system is pretty much already complete and tested, we just lack the sprites and tilesets. So far I'm only using RTP graphics as placeholders til we complete our own graphics, so I have no screenshots to show unless you're fine with seeing the RTP graphics.

Winged: I like the chessboard idea, as it would save us the grief of creating more tilesets. :P

I'm not sure about it being a hundred times faster, but uh, let's just say it'll be a little different. :)

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Hmm, maybe you could release a technical demo (without battle-system) so nobody gets tarred and feathered and everyone's happy. lol... *cough*

{sidenote}
Perhaps the message window could be edited so the text is larger (therefore larger window) being a balance between the two.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Just wondering, with the voice acting, how did you get Utada voicing? Or is this another Utada than Utada Hikaru?

~Winged

Rep:
Level 87
Hmm, maybe you could release a technical demo (without battle-system) so nobody gets tarred and feathered and everyone's happy. lol... *cough*

{sidenote}
Perhaps the message window could be edited so the text is larger (therefore larger window) being a balance between the two.
There wouldn't be much to see. :P

And yeah, did that already. :D

Just wondering, with the voice acting, how did you get Utada voicing? Or is this another Utada than Utada Hikaru?

~Winged
Uh, no. Definitely not THAT Utada. We've also decided not to go through with voice acting altogether, er, it's hard to find able voice actors.

But for anyone curious, here's what we had-
Ryan - Zidane
May - Batgirl
Lillia - Utada
Mariel - Ishtar
Maria - Haushinka
Io - FenixOnslaught
Chris - FenixOnslaught
Bianca - Belle
The Commander - ShockDingo
Remi - Enchantma