RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Basic Talking Tutorial (using switches) [RMXP]

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
Basic Talking Tutorial

Contents

• Forward
  • Control Switches
  • Control Self Switches
  • Setting Up The Event
    • Intro
    • Event Window
    • Event Commands Window
    • The Guts of The Event
    • Important; Don't Forget
  • Demo/Download

Forward

Long ago on another forum I remember seeing a topic where a member asked, "How can I make my characters say more then one thing?" Many people had ideas, some ven said it could only be done by scripts. After reading some of the peoples ideas one caught my eye; "Why don't you just use switches?" Then I thought why did these experienced RMXP users not think of this before, and lets not forget that none of them took the time to explain to the person how to set it up. So I did some messing around with and came up with my Ultimate Talking Tutorial; no scripts needed, just some good old switches and elbow grease.

Control Switches

Before we jump into the event lets take a look at some of the important thing I will be using in this Tutorial and the demo provided (below).

What is a Control Switch?

Data stored as either ON or OFF throughout the game. For example, controls information such as whether a player has received an order to defeat a monster or whether a boss has been defeated.

If you are going to make a lot of characters who can say more then one thing this is the best choice for you as you can name the Switch and remember what it was for.

Screen Shot of Control Switch Window

AND

Control Self Switches

What is a Control Self Switch?

A special switch for individual events. It has no visible effect, but rather is used simply to display the status of a given event. For example, controls information such as whether the player has opened a treasure chest.

If you have more then one person on a map who can say many things then this is not a good choice to use, but if your in a cave and come accross a travler then this is a good choice.

Screen Shot of Control Self Switch Window

Setting Up The Event

Intro

Before we jump into this event I will explain some stuff to the new people of RPG maker XP. Below are screen shots of the many WINDOWS you will be in and using. All "RED" numbers are the areas you only need to worry about for this event(s).

Event Window

1) Always give your events a good NAME so you know what they are for and it makes it simple if you need to call it.
2) This is the GRAPHIC for this event. leave it BLANK or click the little white box to choose a graphic.
3) This is where all of your Commands will appear for this event, you add commands on the Event Commands Window (seen below).
4) Control Switch, is used on a NEW PAGE of this event to make the person say something else. In short use this to call a Command by placing a switch ON or OFF.
5) This is for Local switches only or better yet local events. But it has the same effect as a Control Switch, turn it on or off to start another command chain.
6) This will create a NEW PAGE with a Clean Command area (number 3) that you can add stuff to as well. Also take note that the GRAPHIC box will be empty on every NEW PAGE.
7) You don't need to touch this, but by it being checked, it means that when the PLAYER hits the ENTER key a action will be taken (i e start the event).

Event Command Window

This has a lot of buttons, but for this Talking Event your only worried about three of the buttons and they are:

1) This is used to make your characters talk.
2) This is used to create a Control Switch.
3) use this to create a Control Self Switch.

The Guts of The Event

Now lets put this event together:

1) Right click where you want the event/person. The pick their graphic, by clicking the small white box labled: GRAPHIC.

2) Now click the SHOW TEXT button and type what you want to say.

3) Then click the CONTROL SWITCH button and click the ARROW ( > ) button and give the switch a name something like: “Knight Talking One”. Then make sure the check box is set to ON and click OK.

4) Now click the NEW PAGE button, then pick the same GRAPHIC as on page one. Then check one of the CONTROL SWITCH check boxes and pick the “Knight Talking One” (or what ever you called it) Make sure the switch is set to ON.

5) Then add a new SHOW TEXT and repeat steps 2-4.

6) Now when you get to the very last thing the character (non-playable) will say set the event up like so. After your SHOW TEXT turn off all switches you turned on. This will make the event repeat itself..

Important; Don't Forget

After you have made the last SHOW TEXT/MESSAGE for you person talking make sure you turn off all SWITCHES other wise the event will repeat the last thing it said. To better understand this I have made a demo, plus you can edit it so you can look at the events themselves to see how they are set up.

Demo/Download

Ultimate_Talk_Demo.zip
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:39:47 PM by deadly_diablo »

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
You might want to say what version of what you are using in the title.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
You might want to say what version of what you are using in the title.

Well i dont see why, as Im using the Legal version, simply replace: SHOW TEXT with MESSAGE, CONTROL SWITCH with SWITCH & CONTROL SHIFT SWITCH with LOCAL SWITCH.

Its not to hard to read it and know what to do in another verion of rmxp.

Rep:
Level 88
Yeah, but you get the n00bs and the retards who get picky about this stuff....meh, doesn't bother me. Great tutorial though.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
Well to be honest you dont need to read it, just download the demo and look at the events.

Rep:
Level 88
Always a good thing to have a demo!
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
The demo was made in RMXP Legal, but it should open in PK edition as I have done it many times.

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
I think it's stated that RMXP isn't the one rpg maker in the world, that's why the maker should be put.

Anyways, its an alright tutorial. Goes very indepth for an easy task.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
It sounds good but for some reason I can't get the demo, it brings up a browser and then "The page cannot be displayed".

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
The just go to: http://rmxpxplay.invisionplus.net and click the KING Kobras Files.

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Yo know you could just use Megaupload.com or Rapidshare.de

No point in making forum just for file hosting.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
Yes cause File host services are are full of ads. And I see nothing wrong with doing it any way.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
OMGZ! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND TAHT VERSION!

KIdding, great tutorial. It's about time someone made one about the simple things.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Thanks for this tutorial be being nub it's just what i was looking for

Cheers :lol:
Current Projects
Eternal Nightmare - 10% complete

Learn your vowels - A E I Owned U