RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Cutscene troubles[Resolved]

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Newbie Game maker
I downloaded the video cutscene tutorial, but it's not telling me what I need to know...

I want the cutscene in the beginning of the game, and I don't know how to make it work. The problem is, I make an event of my character laying down in his bed, right? Then, he mumbles a few things and wakes up, and gets out of bed. Except, the same exact character is standing right next to him, because in order to see the map, I need my starting point to be in the map. Do you see what I'm saying? I need help getting rid of my other character and only having the one guy sleeping.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:53:20 PM by Tye »

Irock touched your custom title
Rep:
Level 89
Simple. Go into the database and edit your hero sprite. Set it to (none) ;8

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
But then...Both characters disappear, and there's noone on the screen...

I need it so that the guy wakes up, but there's noone next to the bed, but when he gets up, it's automatically the main character..You know?

Rep:
Level 89
Ok. make the guy in the bed your main character. Then when he gets up just use events to change his sprite.

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
Well, can you give me a step by step guide to help me do this? What I need is for the character to be in the bed(In the down position), then, you see something like, "Awww, it's morning". then, my character moves out of bed and is standing next to the bed, and then moves to another place.

Rep:
Level 89
Yea. give me a min.

Rep:
Level 88
Easy - took me a while to figure this out as well.

Go to Database > System. Set starting party to no one. Add the character at the end of the cutscene so the guy on the bed won't be the guy in the party but the player will get the illusion it is. I also make separate maps for cutscenes. So things run smoothly.

Once that's done:

Make an event on the bed:

PAGE ONE

Select the down graphic and your character - Auto start.
Jump -1 X (I think)
Change Graphic (normal character)
Text: Ah... morning already!
Add party: ID of first character, initialise (to set default stats, the ones you've choosen)
Local Switch A = ON

NEW PAGE (PAGE TWO)

Graphic none, parallel process. Precondition is Local Switch A = ON. Also put it in the event list (this isn't necessary I don't think...).

There is your simple cutscene. Although if you want something else done feel free, it is your game.

I haven't tested this: should work though. If it doesn't... sorry, I made this off top of head.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:50:19 PM by ataraxy2 »

Rep:
Level 89
You don't even need that much.

Here's an upload for you. It's a lot simpler

Rep:
Level 88
I like how you did it, but you need to also make a new page for that event in the corner. With parallel process on and have it doing nothing. This is because erase event erases the event temporarily. As soon as you reenter that map it'll start up again.

Rep:
Level 89
Yea. I know. But He just wanted to know how to start.

Rep:
Level 88
I was just letting him know, I found out the hard way with erase event. Saves him making a new thread about what to do.  ;)

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
if you still need help, I can do this.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
Nah, right now, I need help with making multiple switches work for one person. For example, you need to talk to some lady to make another guy appear. Once you talk to him, he'll ask you to kill a monster for him. If you say yes or no, the monster will show up. How would I do that?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
at the end of the talk with the guy have this:

then on the monsters first event page, leave image blank:

then on the same event, click new event page and set it like this:

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
What about the women? Here, I sent you a PM in more detail, I added more to it.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
ummm....hold on for like 10 mins and Ill fix this up into a demo.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
there you go! notice no man in the start, to exit first house just go down, k?

hope this helps

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
Here, I attached all my info to this message. could you go in and fix it, just so I'll see what to do for next time?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:53:59 PM by Tye »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
wait...what? the demo didn't help?

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
It did somewhat, I just don't understand it...Could you just do it for me, all the info is enclosed above.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
sure let me try.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I need too know, who is who what map is what, and where you want what

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
Pinewood forest is where the old women is. The main character has to talk to her first to get the man in the Smuggler's shop to show up. (He's the one in the lower right hand corner), then, when you meet the man, I want him to say his default message, you know, "there's a monster in forest, could you kill it for me, I'll pay you...", then, when you say yes, the monster appears, but if you say no, then the game gives you unlimited mroe chances to say yes again. And after that, when you actually do kill the monster, you go back and talk to the man, who gives you 1,000 gold. Is that good?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
alright, i will start. ALso you want me to fix your chracter grafics problem?

pokeball TyeOfflineMale
Newbie Game maker
What character graphics problem?