RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you measure intelligence

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
As I've said before, I don't believe that anything is fact, just the most likely possibility for the present time. There's no need to set your self in stone (  your correct, that is stupid ) but there is also no need to do the exact opposite of that either.

I don't have a blood brother. But even so, with my siblings, and even friends I always felt isolated due to my intellect, when I was younger I used to pity them. Now I just feel nothing.

As to the over complicating things: Well, sure, you don't have to, but "those" types are called hippies. I constantly dissect things in my mind, seeing how and why they work, it's this reason why I've accomplished so much, but it's also a curse. Thinking leads to answers. If you can answer that is...

All very vaild points... I can't really pull apart any of them... As I feel very much the same... I have felt Isolated due to the way I think, I just went on a Fag break and asked my work mates How they would Measure itelligence, and their First answer was an IQ test very much like my own, then it turned to general knowledge...

I then told a work mate my thoughts on the matter, he agreed that questioning and bettering teachings are pretty much the only way to achive true knowledge else we would still think the Earth was flat...

I know going out of the way to question every thing is stupid... a door is still a door for example... And you need not look at the place it leeds to work out its a door...

Things you can't place a hand on or see you can't comment on... and thats just like intelligence, it not some thing we can poor into a jug and say right he has more than him there fore he is better... Its more like looking at how big the vessle is you filling and saying right it can only be filled so much... IE look at the Human brain, knowning whats possible with that space is knowing how far Human intelluigence can get without evolution... There are always going to be oss factors to the common person, and some that may show more interlect than others, but in the same breath they may only know how to use their brains more effectivly than another... Is that intelligence or common sense...? Who knows, both are opinions of common human mind capcity and strength.

The correct anwser in my opinion is there is no correct answer... Intellignce is limited to conception of thaught and the human capcity.

With out thinking and just knowning, knowning ones self and inner workings, relying on instinct and Guile is what kept the Human race alive and those primitive notions in effect is what makes us intelligent... To say one of us rather than another is more intelligent would be wrong as a speices or a race we are intelligent, If you ever feel isolate its by your own doing, dig at some ones mind every one has their own strengths, things can come natrually to some that wont to another, Intelligence is always part of us as a Race...

So all in all, I am saying to label one person as more intelligent than another is a form a predjuice, after all we are all created Equal... Even if your own comparrison of your self to others on here you may think yourself more intelligent infact makes it more likely that your not... In my opinion... (Not putting you down, as I said we are all Equal) But you doing that I think would suggest you would not be open to the opinions of some one whom you think is less intelligent and there by missing, may be, some valuable info or a 2nd insight into working out a soloution.

I don't Judge people, without good reason, and even then I would not question their intelligence, usually I question their Moral Fibre if I can trust them, that sort of standing, but never their Interlect, as they have the same capacity as any one else.

Never right some one off as less intelligent... We all have the same restriction in mental capacity (my answer in one line)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:12:38 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Deliciously_Saucy - Is a Girl by the Gender Logo by the AVA...

And even if she aint then take it as a Compliment... to be found atractive by the same gender is a great compliment and flattery, If they touch you then KICK THE SHITE OUT OF EM !!!! LOL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:18:49 PM by landofshadows »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
How intelligent this is becoming... ( I just come back up to get some cat food BTW... Still sleepy... )

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I suppose we can look at what causes intelligence to differ from one person to another, but again I just think those that struggle are those that over think things, but for me to assume leaves my theory open to debate, and goes against all I follow to be true.

Brain activity and the firing between idea's and how quickly some one reacts can all be atributed to intelligence... IE if I throw a ball at you and you catch it more times out of ten, does that make you more inteliigent than some one who drops it more times...?  Can hand and eye co-ordination also be used to measure the sin-appses of the brain, and their by govern how quick you think, could that measure interlect, or not... I mean a proffesional ball player could catch a ball more times than the average Joe... So that blows that theory out of the water...

Just noticed I am typing as I think... When doing this you can answer your own question, and on that notes points me back at the 1st post in the Thread.

The answer is there... there is no answer, and I have said this 3 times now, yet I still feel drawn in making sense out of nothing...?

I should just admit I know nothing, thats would be the most intelligent thing to do in regards to measuring interllect, its not some thing that can me measured...

Rep:
Level 88
For what purpose would the measurement of "intelluct" come in handy though? When I first saw this thread I expected GilgameshRO to come in a say straight out the answer, I myself was going to say that it couldn't be measured straight out. But this thread proves to bring decent discussion (I haven't been inputing, but reading).

Never right some one off as less intelligent... We all have the same restriction in mental capacity (my answer in one line)

That's true although you'll find that's what usually happens in forums *coughIMDbcough*. Only when we stop being ignorant (good luck Jared) will we be able to know how smart we all are (which is never?). Saying we are restricted is a stretch. Saying we aren't is as well. Would I be using the word right to say intelligence is almost a paradox. But then again most of this debate has become somewhat of a stretch. Kinda interesting. I feel like a nerd now. :/

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
ataraxy2 - Very interesting points...

Who's Jared ?

Saying we are restricted is a stretch

True, Due to Evolution there could be some amoungst us who have a higher capacity for learning, and who is to say that Evoultion is at its best. 

Saying we aren't is as well

Or if Evoultion is a correct theory at all ? So again, your right again.

Would I be using the word right to say intelligence is almost a paradox

It's an opinion and a vaild one, if intelligence can't be measured to a degree you could call it a Paradox.

I feel like a nerd now

You bettered yourself by thinking outside of normal convention, nobody else raised points like your own, you kept it simple and said what first came to mind... I would say thats Intelligent... In my OPINION.

Rep:
Level 88
Thanks.  :) I'm Jared, I usually, when on forums type straight out what I think - hence me mentioning myself. If I follow MSWord's definition of intelligence:

1. ability to think and learn the ability to learn facts and skills and apply them, especially when this ability is highly developed

Then I'd say we aren't restricted... although we can't be sure of that. But that's the point, this is intelligent debate - speculation (and flaming).

Although people refer to it also as a high form: (e.g. Intelligent Debate [advanced, or rational discussion], Intelligent Dance Music [not that you can dance to it but at the time of the creation of this genre it was new, unique, more complicated {I still say that it is} than any other genre and so they chose Intelligent])

In my OPINION.

Interesting that you mention opinion. As I can't think of how, but I have the feeling it relates to the topic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 04:32:55 PM by ataraxy2 »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Interesting that you mention opinion. As I can't think of how, but I have the feeling it relates to the topic.

Opinions differ from one person to the next, Opinions are always Relivant in debates, it's what fuels them.

1. ability to think and learn the ability to learn facts and skills and apply them, especially when this ability is highly developed

Then I'd say we aren't restricted... although we can't be sure of that. But that's the point, this is intelligent debate - speculation

As long as we are forever adapting to suite and better our-selves as a Race I agree, should our brains need to grow in time they will do, that is if you follow Darwin's Theory.  But if we have always had the same capcity then all we are doing is gain knowlege through time and we are not evolving, then we have already established Intelligence and Wisdom are seperate...

So that raises a new look at this debate are we more intelligent now than we was say 800 years ago...  Or are we learning from previous generations and moving forwards not cuz we are more intelligent but from inherent learning ?

I don't think our Brain capacity has changed, our skulls have not got any bigger or the stucture or genetic make up of the brain has not altered... May be our way of thinking and trail and error through the years play hand in hand, and utilising and finding floors in our own technology has spurred us on.

So may be intelligence is like I say thinking differently... A door is still a door, but an Automatic one is better than a manual one.

Rep:
Level 88
A door is still a door, but an Automatic one is better than a manual one.

My new sig. :)

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Quality... I am well happy with that... One of my quotes used as a Siggy... Kind of taken back !!!  :o ::) :o

More so, the fact your based on the other side of the globe... Is kind of cool.

And I guess when stuff like that happens then its not Nerdy any more.

But this is Super Nerdy

I wonder if we took our most recent technology back in time say 800 years now and gave the ull workings of the technology to the people of that time would they better the people of today...?

If we Went back and say taught the children of then up to their teen years of one single nation would they have understood the mechics lehind laser disc's and PC's or would they not of had the intelligence to do so...?

It makes you wonder if thats not whats already happening I mean technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last centry... It makes you wonder if in the future man kind faces hardship so they sent technology back in time to now and all we are doing is reproducing it...

Now I am chatting Bollox... But you have to admit from an Atari 2600 Comabt game to Crysis on the Xbox 360 and to think its only been 20 years is MENATL...

If some one says the tanks in the Atari version looks better, I know I have said every is right to express their opinions, but in this case I would have to Quote Jesus Hitler... FUCK OFF !!! LOL

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:40:10 PM by landofshadows »

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Lol, you should be very proud! *Watchs the post count go up by one!*

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
Sorry, I only skimmed what you guys've put in so far, so if I talk about anything you've already been over, forgive me.

It really depends on what you mean by "intelligence" in the first place.

Quote from:  Merriam-Webster
1 a  (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON; also : the skilled use of reason  (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) b Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind c : mental acuteness : SHREWDNESS

3 : the act of understanding : COMPREHENSION

Here, it's the ability to learn, apply what you've learned, and apply it effectively. So intelligence could be referring to mental resilience- how well and how rationally someone responds to change. Someone who is bipolar (or has another emotional disorder, or any disorder like that, whatever)  could be learned, but if they can't respond well to sudden shifts in environment or something, or if they can't do it reasonably, then that rules out their intelligence under one definition.  Also, one could very knowledgeable and smart without an ounce of common sense (Einstein, for example, was a brilliant man, but would forget to put on pants in the morning, or would wear them backwards), but wouldn't be considered very intelligent because they wouldn't be applying a "skilled use of reason." Then, there are people with learning disorders who may retain information and use it perfectly once they've gotten it down, but have a very difficult time comprehending what they are being taught at first.

In my opinion, an I.Q. test is really a measure of POTENTIAL intelligence, and not very accurate at all for the measure of "actual" intelligence. A lot of the questions on an I.Q. test are pretty abstract, and some people (me, for one :P) do a lot better with concrete problems.

I mean, how you were raised, where you were raised, how and where you were taught, age, and lots of other things all factor in. Compare a child from the Western world (one who goes to a public school, has access to references, media, technology, ect.) to maybe a native from Africa or something (a kid who doesn't have access to any modern technology or teaching). Of course the Western child is going to be more "intelligent", but is he, really?  He will have the television, the internet, books, whatever, but he won't learn to care for himself (cook, work, ect.) until he's older, and he might play video games (:P) all day. He learns very passively, and may not be very socially adept. A native, however, would be taught from an early age how to fulfill their role in the community, and would be much more socially and imaginatively active (not saying that all Western children AREN'T, just trying to make an example here). So culture and environment are a big part of it, so is age. It's usually the case that a normal thirty year old is going to know more than a smart ten year old. With age comes experience, and with experience come knowledge, which generally plays a role in intelligence.

Errr, if you don't want to read all of that, here's my opinion- I don't think there is a good way to measure intelligence.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Don't worry, some of these have been particularly long posts but, I agree here.

And LoS...sending technology back in time...do you know how many times I've thought about that, and if it has actually happened. Quite freaky.

Djangonator, every, opinion matters, if you think intelligence is something different then you can feel free and express that view and tell us or try to convince us why. But you have basically got what we have said in not so many words.

Even on the last sentence, you are quite correct which is why many Psychologists and Psychiatrists are having problems working out how to analyse intelligence, as we will always want to better ourselves.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I don't like intelligent people because most of them are douchebags.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I measure intelligence based on wether or not they agree with me, and how logical their statements are.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I base intelligence on ability to handle the fact that people have different views on things, and the ability to accept that they themselves might, in fact, be wrong.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I wonder if we took our most recent technology back in time say 800 years now and gave the ull workings of the technology to the people of that time would they better the people of today...?
Well it COULD make them better people... Or it could utterly destroy them... You not meant to intervene with less developed cultures...

And I think an IQ test can be a fine way to measure intelligence, but just remember, it doesn't measure Wisdom. A smart man can still be a fool.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I base intelligence on ability to handle the fact that people have different views on things, and the ability to accept that they themselves might, in fact, be wrong.
Man you're a real moron.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Man you're a real moron.
Then so are you. It may be a bad thing to BASE something on, but the statement wasn't necessarily wrong and does show signs of intelligence.

Oh and if that was a joke, then I suggest on you getting out of this section, and to go play with the rest of the children.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:49:39 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what to do? If you simply said "hey guys, lets get back on topic!" that'd have been great. But you're going to be a cock about it and just expect me to sit back? I don't think so. People whine about how intelligent debate is spammy and full of insults and you are only contributing to it's degradation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:14:40 AM by GilgameshRO »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what to do?
Lol :P. Calm down rex...

Edit: Just because your a mod, doesn't mean you can get away without people being honest with you. I won't sugar coat my responses because of who you think YOU are.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:15:29 AM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
You know, I'm pretty sure he was joking. And seeing as how he has to put up with/clean up everyone's bullshit in here, I say he deserves a free post every once in a while. Plus, you are so far out of line it's not even funny.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
You know, I'm pretty sure he was joking. And seeing as how he has to put up with/clean up everyone's bullshit in here, I say he deserves a free post every once in a while. Plus, you are so far out of line it's not even funny.
Alright, I apologise.