RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you measure intelligence

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Thank you. Anyways, back to the topic. There really is no good way to judge intelligence. =/

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I have a high respect for Gilgamesh... He helped me learn how to sprite well, he actually took time out and edited the sprite for me and pointed out what I needs do... that must have been about a year ago now... MENTAL...

Any ways back on topic....

Errr... I think I have covered every asspect now on the Topic from my point of view...

Djangonator - Some points you have put up are simular to my own but much better worded... I have a learning disorder and find it hard, but that does not make me any less intelligent...

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
That's another thing, and a great topic starter. Many people know what they want to say, but can't properly say it.

An obvious example would be people with disabilities. In my first block class every other day, there is a mute person in my class. Also, he cannot walk, or see. However, we know he is no less intelligent than us. He can understand English very well, he has a great sense of humor, and he is quite intelligent. He's going to write (well not write but sort of "talk" out) a large essay in about a week. I can't wait to read what he has to say.

Now don't think of me as a self-pitying asshole for this next part, I am merely using myself as an example. When I get into an argument, I think of great arguments against my opponent. But, I have trouble wording them effectively. This lets the other person twist it around and kill my side with it. I know what I want to say, but I can't say it.

In both scenarios you have normal people who have hit a sort of roadblock. This doesn't mean they're dumb, or special, or anything. Theoretically, they are normal. They just need a bit of help. So how can somebody be sure if He is as smart as I am? Or if I am as smart as HE is? What can we do to measure intelligence for people with disablities of that kind?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Djangonator - Some points you have put up are simular to my own but much better worded... I have a learning disorder and find it hard, but that does not make me any less intelligent...
Wow, that was a very brave thing to admit :).

But even though I don't wish to hurt your feelings, in some way's it does. You may have the same general notion as Albert Einstein, but it was his ability to express things that made him famous. There are different types of intellect, high linguistics is one of them.

On certain plains your as equally smart, but everyone has flaws.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I think LoS is a pretty smart guy and his determination makes up for his dyslexia. I don't really think it makes him any less than anyone else. Maybe he gets things slower, but that can be worked through.

Rep:
Level 96
Right! Exactly. Rather than assuming they are innately inferior, we should help them up.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I have dyslexia... I spell words how they sound rather than how they should be, I think I am learning through remembering how things are spelt... I have trouble reading, I miss words or whole sentences... and Cuz I can't read all that well means I don't read too much... infact being on here I have read more than I have in my whole life...

But if you was to talk to me you would have no idea I have any learning disorder... My doctor says it could be due to my spin being twisted and that upsets the balance of the Brain, he said recent studies show when some one returns from space they too have problems simular to my own in reading.

My mate who has been dyslexic all his life went to the doctors as his Arse looks too nig, they X-rayed him and one of his legs is shorter than the other and thats displaced his hip, they said he would have been born like it... his doctor actually asked him if he has problems with balance and reading and writting...

Here is a little on it:- http://www.dyslexic.org.uk/va4.htm

According to some Einstein was also dyslexic...

I am learning lods on here... With reading as much as I have to, some times I have to read a post two or three times to make sense of it... But at the same time I am learning how to spell some new words... Kind of crazy, 27 and I only learnt the word Remember about a month ago...

But some days I wake up and I can spell some thing I couldn't the week before... It never consitant... Oh and I seem to have no problems spelling nasty words like Disembowlment... and so fourth... I know the meaning of pretty mush every word, like a walking theosaurs (thats not a dinosaur, but I spelt it like it is, but you now what I mean, I hope)...LOL

An ta, for the heads up and backing...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:59:58 AM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Right! Exactly. Rather than assuming they are innately inferior, we should help them up.
Woh! Don't take what I said to be an attack against LOS, I was just trying to be honest, which I'm sure is what he would want from people. Not to be treated differently.

According to some Einstein was also dyslexic...
Yeh... I remember hearing that too...

Rep:
Level 96
Woops! Wasn't saying that, sorry. Just used to seeing it a lot in public, it really pisses me the fuck off.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
possibly the smartest man on earth could measure intelligence. but i think i really measure intelligence by not neccesarily a technical look like how well you do on test scores, but kind of by creativity.
creativity expands to looking outside the box, and looking beyond.
thats why many artists are considered geniuses, and albert einstein looked outside the box to create his theories

Rep:
Level 96
I don't know how to measure, but here's a possible scale to grade one.

Activity out of Potential.

HOw much you are using out of what you can use I would say.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Christina has a good point there.

Again what is intelligence? Is it creativity? Well...up for discussion, or is it part of it?

As for LoS suffering from Dyslexia...he's doing damn awful well. Here's my personal view on it.

"I don't view dyslexia as a disability, rather a handicap, for someone to try harder and to overcome. Someone like LoS is a prime example. If he hadn't of said anything, we wouldn't have known, he spells words as they sound, which is much the same as me, yet some words are slightly different like synchronized. So yeah, I don't recognize dyslexia and I think people who use it as an excuse are time wasters. That's why I prefer people to not admit it, until I know them rather than say it at the start. "

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
(Some of the things I am about to say probably have been said but heres my views anyway)

Intelligence? To some degree what you know can make up part of your intelligence. But also how your act increases your intelligence as such. Being incredible smart but being an arse about it dosn't make you intelligent. Even the low-level abilty people (Forgot what you call them... <_<) could be classed as more intelligent then a snob if they are polite. Also, sometimes being funny can make you sound more intelligent. Being more helpful will mean more people will look up to you with a respect for being more intelligent. There really are many ways to measure such a thing, and this is how I do it.

Regards,
Darico

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
So yeah, I don't recognize dyslexia and I think people who use it as an excuse are time wasters.

To be a time waster would be to try and learn... the way I see it is I can draw fairly well, I can't read to good... So what... If you can't draw you don't bother drawing right ?? Or if you do you do the best you can...

Thats like me and reading and I only mention it if A) Some one Attacks my spelling or B) Calls me retarded C) Raises an issue like Enstien, being a genius with a handicap... It was relitive to the discussion...

So I don't think by those standards I am a time waster... And to view me as one, pee's me off a Tad.

thats why many artists are considered geniuses

Here's one of my drawings so you can see how creative I am:-

CONGNITION - Drawn when I was 19                                                           

SNAKES - Drawn Last year I was 26 (Entered into Numan6 Compo)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:04:25 PM by landofshadows »

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Wow, they are pretty good. I can't even go in a straight line  ;8 (Where the hell is that sarcastic smily gone to??)

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
The old one's kinda lame, because it's just a collage of random, already created characters, but the newer one is pretty cool because it's more original and therefore, well, more creative.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
already created characters

The Dragon, The devil head, Golem and the reaper are the only ones you would recognise I am guessing... The others are made up... (so the Man snake at the bottom, the One Eyed scorpion butterfly thing, the Newt chick, the Two legged orange Hammer head beastie and the flamming head are my own... I tried mixing known beasties and my own to get people thinking they are all Well known creatures...

Cheers...

(Where the hell is that sarcastic smily gone to??)

sarcastic... about my art being WOW and pretty good, or your talent of Line drawing is far worst than your making out ?

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Umm... the line drawing thingy...

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
Creativity (not solely artistic creativity) is a good PART of, but by no means should it be used as a measure of, intelligence. Some "creative" persons are fucking moronic. It may be "creative" to wear a boot as a hat, but that doesn't necessarily make someone bright.

Anyway, intelligence changes constantly, even on a day-to-day basis. I think people should be more concerned not about finding their overall intelligence, but finding their current capacity for knowledge, understanding, and reasoning, and learning how to be able to apply it all practically, usefully, and frequently., and then learning to challenge and better themselves

Intelligence seems, to me, to be defined as too much of an abstract concept. Who cares what you have gotten on an I.Q. test? Who cares if your "intelligence" is "above average"? What's the point of having this sort of "intelligence" if a person is not going to come up with concrete support of the number they've scored on a test?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:30:14 PM by Djangonator »
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
For all my Art (online at the mo) see the thread in creative outlet:- http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,11776.msg148081.html#msg148081

I think the itelligence can earn people a fair amount of respect, and is greatly under-valued... I wish all people would try and better their own intelligence...

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Creativity (not solely artistic creativity) is a good PART of, but by no means should it be used as a measure of, intelligence. Some "creative" persons are fucking moronic. It may be "creative" to wear a boot as a hat, but that doesn't necessarily make someone bright.

I disagree. I think creative artistic persons show great signs of genius in many ( not all ) cases. As we're dissecting here there isn't ONE simple form of intellect. I say certain artist show great signs of intelligence even if they can't do math...

Rep:
Level 89
measuring poeples intelligence cannot be done through creativity.
First way to tell intelligence:are they camplete jackasses to idiots.
second way you would know: do they call you a retard for not caring or having ADD
third way to tell their smart; they know more and don't stfu on question or ask question.
that just mean they are  jackasses that ack or fucktard that act smart or both.

Rep:
Level 89
Koopa Troopa!
I got a score of 109 on the online IQ test. (I'm 12.)

It depends on how you measure it. I'd say there is many types of intelligence...like theres pratical, DIY and stuff.
Then theres stuff like algebra, not pratical...when will you need it? Then there is down right intelligence like, I wont touch the boiling water, it will hurt me  :D and stuff like that.

Rep:
Level 88
Then theres stuff like algebra, not pratical...when will you need it?

Well I can deny it as much as I want but Algebra + BEDMAS are basically the key to working out lots of things - basically make formulas.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
There are so many different kinds of intelligence, and the only real way to know if someone is intelligent is to stand face to face and look them in the eyes.
When you sit down and talk to someone one on one and it becomes very obvious.
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.