RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you measure intelligence

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Well yes, but that's a given part of it at this point. What further steps need to be taken to measure general human intelligence?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Well yes, but that's a given part of it at this point. What further steps need to be taken to measure general human intelligence?
A higher intelligence... ::)

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
IQ tests (officially administered ones, not the stupid online ones) are usually to measure intelligence of a specific area or age group, rather than an individual's exact intelligence.

Even though Saucy's IQ is 148 (or so he says), region as well as age plays a large role in what a good IQ test determines.

Taking about 5 or so minutes to take one of the plethora of Tickle's IQ tests, I scored a 140.

Generally on IQ tests I've scored anywhere from 135 to even 156.

While they may not measure JUST intelligence, I think an IQ test isn't such a bad way of doing so, as long as it's put together properly. There probably will never be a very precise way of measuring this, though. The reason being is that there are so many factors that make it difficult to do so, or even to compare, like age for example. Children have been documented to have IQ's of over 250, yet an adult with a relative IQ would be much lower. I may be wrong (it is 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet), but for Nightwolf's age, 119 is probably below average. Yet, his location also plays a part, and I definately don't know the average for his area.

But 119 for me is kewl huh?

It's above average so yeah, very good...

I find All members on here itelligent beyond their years, and fairly creative in some way.

100 is actually considered average. And there are several idiots here at the forums.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:09:58 PM by HaloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
For the protocol: I am a total idiot. I don't deny it. *changes personal text again*

One part of IQ tests is usually to sort out odd pieces or "rotate and translate" stuff in your head. Intelligence could be called the power of imagination. Most probably everyone here knows that genius and insanity are very close. Why? A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind and you start halucinating. If I'm not wrong, many "geniuses" are often excentric and/or schizophrenic, etc. Being totally intelligent isn't as good as it may seem at first sight.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
I know my imagination scares the fuck out of me. I hallucinate when it's really dark/I don't have glasses, and I see some pretty scary shit.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
100 is actually considered average. And there are several idiots here at the forums.

Idiots, yes... but can an idiot still be itelligent... Take JH for example, he is intelligent but an idiot with it... some times rudeness walks hand in hand with people that are itelligent and they come across as Idiots... They talk down, be little and ridacule those that make a comment outside of whats considered correct.

I think itelligence is to question and better your self.  To try and look for answers other than those you know that are correct, finding and ellimenating all other senario's leaves you with the correct one...

For example the one above, some people on here are Idiots... or are they, they may come across that way through poor up bringing... but at the same time they could have some very intelligent thoughts.

I have faith in all Human intelligence, even escmo's... I mean they have no schooling, yet they fish them Ice holes like bitches... WOW...

A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind and you start halucinating. If I'm not wrong, many "geniuses" are often excentric and/or schizophrenic, etc.

Or you could have LSD in your Fatty tissue pockets and occasionaly be burning them off giving you a temp high... Well thats what my Doctor told me... I have only done LSD once... But Smoke Salvia often.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:18:09 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
And there are several idiots here at the forums.
Sheesh, you didn't have to burn yourself there Halo...

How can we really agree on intellect when we are still part of rituals and culture? Just how I think people are un-evolved for needing religion in their lives, I'm sure they feel the same way about me. Sadly in the words of LOS
I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer...

genius and insanity are very close. Why? A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind
Hit the head on the nail.... ....

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
True Knowledge is in knowing you know nothing.

Rep:
Level 96
That's intelligent SOUNDING, but in the end, it's someone's personal belief, and doesn't really have a place in this discussion. :-\

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
That's intelligent SOUNDING, but in the end, it's someone's personal belief, and doesn't really have a place in this discussion. :-\
Who was that directed at???

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Being Self aware is the starting Block to itelligence... A PC can do math, and spelling but is not self aware and there fore its not intelligent.

What I find amazing is Ants... They have such small heads and Brains but function so well... We can't make a Droid that small that does the same... Some things in life show an itelligence beyond understanding.  I doubt we will ever make any thing as near perfect as nature does.

I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer... If your limiting the debate towards people (Humans) and the measure of intelligence, I guess we can only be as intelligent as our minds will let us, and based on that basis we all have the same potential as each other and should not be compared with the likes of IQ scores... as they only measure lateral thinking and problem / puzzle solving.

No no, i'm not limiting anything.

as for HaloOfTheSun

Many respected psychologists dismiss the idea that IQ tests test intelligence at all, no matter what people try to say, though, that is not all psychologists, some do agree. If we're not measuring an individuals intelligence, but rather a group, isn't that a flaw to measure a sample, and wouldn't you still need an indepth Intelligence study of that group.

Age only plays a role, I think, if you don't compare with adults. I've seen IQ games out there, such as Chess, that do measure someone's intelligence, I think the World Chess Champion, is one of the most intelligent people on the planet since he has the ability to plan ahead, although s/he has unlocked the secret of the game.

Though I haven't done the premium PHD certified test on Tickle, I did the normal one. Didn't score so well, but that was because I didn't know what I was being asked, rather than being unable to understand it, which is why my IQ on tickle is 128 and 1 point below the needed number on HighIQsociety.

I think your view on children is quite right, but the fact is, they can absorb information 20x faster than anyone else in the world, and thus understand it alot faster.

My cousin passed his Law degree course last year with a 1st. He's 13. That makes me feel inferior. He doesn't score too well on IQ tests, but ask him anything about school or law and he'd recite a few books for you. He was home tutored by the way, which I also think plays a part in how intelligent you are. The most intelligent people on the planet are supposed to come from poor backgrounds, or sometimes middle class or even high class, but then there are the quiet ones, the ones who were home tutored and have the higher IQ's. On average in the UK, if you are Home tutored you do better in your studies, and have a higher IQ.

The True knowledge statement is a quote from some of the greatest thinkers in the known world, I think that does have a good point here.

You think that rituals and culture subtract from our intelligence? I think they show it! Do dogs, horses have culture or rituals, or even belief? No, they just have instinct. That seperates us from them. We can understand things far more. At least that is my belief.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
Was referring to the know nothing statement.

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
Mensa in England measure itelligence by giving an IQ test... I scored 128, not good enough to enter Mensa, but not a score to be ashamed of... Average I think is 98 to 110 so I am above average intelligence by their measure.

Try working out yours for free here:- http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html

I tried this one just now, its pretty simular to the Mensa one, I scored 122, but I am at work and a little busy

Try it one and post your score, trying over and over is only cheating your-self

Some old facts. Your score is becoming an average intelligence but the average differs. 110, 90 is slowly turning into, no offense to anyone, dumb. I scored 168 at MENSA, but I also know I had days when I didn't score above 126. In army records, I'm described as "very intelligent". Yet I found myself feeling stupid in inteligence terms, compared to other who may have even scored less than me, more than once. In addition, I know I most of the time simply ignore those kind of tasks where you have the unrolled image of a, for example, cube, and then you have to rotate and build it in your mind to select the right image. I find them very boring and of no interest to me, and I just ignore than, what reduces my score. On top to that, the fact someone isn't good at being able to rotate an object in mind (what requiers certain concentration) doesn't really mean he's stupid. The will to deal with the test, as well, varies from day to day, so in general I find it lame. With it, in my opinion, you can only understand who is mentally retarded, who appears just normal, and who has an affinity for special thingies.

Kekhem.

Theoretically, the intelligence should present your ability to "realize". It is, generally, composed of your perception, will, logic, knowledge, and ability to understand. It's getting very close to wisdom, the more you think of it. As basic, it's your perception and ability to understand given/displayed/put infront of. Then you apply your sense for logic. Then your willingness to deal with the given. Finally, the more you know the more information you can manipulate with where at the end can help you improve your ability to realize and perform.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Uhhh I say wisdom and intelligence are VERY different, and quite frankly I'd take wisdom any day...

Rep:
Level 88
I ended up with only 109, he I did another one last year and got 129. I'd say that's inaccurate, intelligence can not be measured. And I don't think that getting one year older would make me lose a good ol' 20. 20's just too much, or is it?

I think your view on children is quite right, but the fact is, they can absorb information 20x faster than anyone else in the world, and thus understand it alot faster.

This is what everyone says...

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I ended up with only 109, he I did another one last year and got 129. I'd say that's inaccurate, intelligence can not be measured. And I don't think that getting one year older would make me lose a good ol' 20. 20's just too much, or is it?

This is what everyone says...
I don't like the new IQ system, which includes "age" into the factor. It should be equal measurement.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Wisdom is the knowledge how to use your intelligence well. :)

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't really compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can only really compare in the same age-class.
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't reall compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can really only compare in the same age-class.
That's why I prefer it. :)

As to the age thing, it's inaccurate. It should be a different test, it tells the child that they have a potential for being an intellect, not that their necessarily smarter then older people with lower IQ's.

Rep:
Level 96

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't really compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can only really compare in the same age-class.

Right. Just like any science project, you have to limit the number of variables being tested at once.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I some times feel less intelligent to others and more so depending on the subject matter...

I think as a whole Every one is equal but in different capacities...

Take for example menatlly retarded people like Mongrals, now many of these have an area of the brain thats super efficent, like there is one lad who can look at a building for about 5 secs (Big Ben) and then say how many bricks its made from, and then draw it picture perfect, brick by brick.  But ask him what the capital of England is and he wont have a clue (well he might, I don't know him or nothing, just an example).

All I am trying to say is we all have the same Brain mass, so in theory we are all equal...

I don't think that way... I don't feel any diferent to when I was 16, and I am 27... You will see what I mean when your my age... Yeah may be 13 is a little too young, But as soon as you stop growing then your on equal pegging... 16 up wards I think intelligence doesn't waver... Knowledge does as we are forever learning, I mean a 60 year old is going to know more than me about history, he was there for the best part of it, doesn't mean he is more intelligent.

I think its very possible to be more intelligent than an adult at the age of 16, and even know more in certain fields than an adult, being an adult does not give you answers you wouldn't find as a 16 year old... and I am not saying that as soon as you turn 16 a beam of light will hit and suddley your more intelligent than you are at 15... It differes and its gradual in each person.

Some people have a better memory than another, quoting text or facts you have remembered is not intelligence in my opinion.

Going from your own conclutions and questioning the main stream, thinking outside of the box and turning peoples heads and making them think... I think thats more intelligent than swallowing some one elses teachings.  Put it this way if you only ever learnt what was taught to you and never looked any place else or question that was taught, you would never be any more intelligent than the Teacher.

Good example of this is people saying the centre of the Earth is Solid Iron... and they have not drilled that far or seen the centre... Or saying there is no such thing as Ghosts, Aliens or Gods... I know there is no proof the other way around, no hard proof... So why say one is more true than another...

Questioning the Questionable and making the plausable more plausable... Stepping forwards or Backwards rather than standing is still moving, and if your mind is kept moving may be it wont deteroriate.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:03:17 PM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

All I am trying to say is we all have the same Brain mass, so in theory we are all equal...
I disagree. Brain mass, just like online IQ tests, are just a small base to go on. The size of the brain doesn't always reflect the individual. We are not all equal.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Exactly. Did you know that the cerebral activity of smarter persons is lower than the cerebral activity of not so smart persons? Smarter persons actually think less. In other words their brain is more capable.
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
You better post your response soon LOS, I'm getting tired...

Edit: Half a beer left....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:22:04 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I disagree. Brain mass, just like online IQ tests, are just a small base to go on. The size of the brain doesn't always reflect the individual. We are not all equal.

Like I said, Question the Questionable... Just cuz some test show Brain mass counts for very little doesn't mean its true...

Take you for example and compare your self to a brother should you have one, you both had the same or simular up bringing, he may get better results in some subjects than what you get, and visa versa...

But in problem solving... try playing shadow of the colossus together, one of you may be able to defeat a monster and find it simple, and the other wont... and then the tables will turn on the next monster...

I am not saying your incorrect... I mean not to question what I am saying by my own standard is wrong.

Every one should carry free thought... And I think then and only then is enlightenment obtained, to recognise that you your-self holds all keys to your own destiny, and that just cuz some one tells you some thing is wrong doesn't mean that is actually is... Like a One way street, the sign says do not enter, doesn't mean you can't walk down it... (Simple example)

But why over complicate things... If you apply the same to every problem you come across its nolonger a problem... Every little thing holds interest, its a universe of infinate possiabilties why narrow your veiw to the main stream, classes as facts... nothing is set in stone... and once you admit that then you can then reach your full potential... thats why I say we all have the same brain mass, and all have the same capcity to learn, and expand intelligence...

It could just be those that show more brain activity are over trying... Keep it Simple... After all the first thing that comes to mind is usually right... Voice or write down every thing, you will see what I mean, as you think more in the more discobulated the answer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:33:23 PM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
As I've said before, I don't believe that anything is fact, just the most likely possibility for the present time. There's no need to set your self in stone (  your correct, that is stupid ) but there is also no need to do the exact opposite of that either.

I don't have a blood brother. But even so, with my siblings, and even friends I always felt isolated due to my intellect, when I was younger I used to pity them. Now I just feel nothing.

As to the over complicating things: Well, sure, you don't have to, but "those" types are called hippies. I constantly dissect things in my mind, seeing how and why they work, it's this reason why I've accomplished so much, but it's also a curse. Thinking leads to answers. If you can answer that is...