RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you measure intelligence

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Now this is an excellent debatable topic, as it has no right or wrong answers.

The truth is, no one knows, so the question is...

What is intelligence, how do you view it?
What is a good method of measuring intelligence.

If everyone criticizes the person above them, and comes up with an idea they think is better, I think we should come up with some good method of testing intelligence. Remember, we're not even sure what intelligence is...so feel free to debate that at any time as well.

-------------------------------

I have my own views, so i'll wait until someone else starts.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Remember, we're not even sure what intelligence is...

Heh, speak for yourself.   :tpg:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Okay so the dictionary has a definition, but go ahead, tell me...what is intelligence, because us psychologists, think slightly differently.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Mensa in England measure itelligence by giving an IQ test... I scored 128, not good enough to enter Mensa, but not a score to be ashamed of... Average I think is 98 to 110 so I am above average intelligence by their measure.

Try working out yours for free here:- http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html

I tried this one just now, its pretty simular to the Mensa one, I scored 122, but I am at work and a little busy

Try it one and post your score, trying over and over is only cheating your-self

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Rep:
Level 88
Try www.highiqsociety.org

I hear they have a tough one.

Yet, I don't think IQ tests measure intelligence, which is why I want someone to post what they view intelligence is. Is intelligence just someone with a high IQ.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I'm a high school dropout, my IQ is 148.  :-*

But yeh LOS, nothing to be ashamed of there, you basically have the same IQ as the average person who has finished collage. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.

Oh RavenShade, I get what your talking about, if I have had less to drink tonight you would have received my opinion on this matter. Good topic.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
See, there are 3 things- Intelligence, Power and Decission.
Int. And Power and not all needed, we need to decide properly.
By Int and Power, we can make kewl things like the tv, comp, but also stuff like the cannons, gunz etc.

So there Decission comes.
And after good decission, the intelligent used, even a little, even a lightbulb..is far more good than a gun.

Thats the mechanical view

now,
There are people like LOS(well he's all grown but still) he watches the news, is aware about facts of the world, know general knowledge, and also fights for right stuff and also listens to his mind
He's not like Saucy said yes, so he says yes, he has his view too.
Now he's someone i can call intelligent

How tall r u Los?

Edit: For Los's Iq test, i tried it about 4 days ago lol, i got like 118-119 lol

Kewl for a 13 yr huh?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:34:29 PM by Nightwolf »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
IQ Tests have a history of being flawed, and can't be used to gain an accurate measure of one's intelligence. Really, they're more of a general IDEA of your intelligence rating, you'd have to get other ways of testing to know for sure.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
But 119 for me is kewl huh?
Arlen is hot.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
How tall r u Los?

6 foot 4 inches why ?

It's above average so yeah, very good...

I find All members on here itelligent beyond their years, and fairly creative in some way.

Rep:
Level 88
Height=intelligence? Meh? (sorry just looking at the end of you post and doing some assuming nightwolf)

Intelligence, power and decision? Hmm, I disagree. Intelligence is power and decisions come from the result of our intelligence.

I disagree with the common theory that Intelligence is how much you know. That's why I don't think that IQ tests are any good half of the time.

Oh and nightwolf...i have no idea what you were saying towards the end. *confused me a little*

I also don't agree with the second part of Arrowone's message. The first part yes, second part no.

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
IQ Tests have a history of being flawed, and can't be used to gain an accurate measure of one's intelligence. Really, they're more of a general IDEA of your intelligence rating, you'd have to get other ways of testing to know for sure.
So, low IQ there Arrow...? :P

Online test are very inaccurate...

Edit: Nightwolf: 13 huh?

Rep:
Level 88
Hehe...

To add to my view and to give an opposing view.

I believe Intelligence is the ability to comprehend and understand and the speed in which we can do it, and how much we can comprehend and understand at one time.

Anyone disagree.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
Oh no, last one I took I scored higher than my parents. I just think they need to be re-worked pretty seriously.

I agree, but that's only half of it. The other is being able to apply this knowledge, and the ability to later retrieve it from memory.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
The one by Mensa is fairly simular to the link I gave... From what I recall...

But itelligence is meassured by different standards... You guys are right an IQ test does mean very little...

For example Dolphins are said to be intelligent but you don't see them doing online Net tests...

So your very correct, IQ tests are only a measure and an indercation of the workings of the Human mind... Lateral thinking rather than intelligence...

And on that note I am not sure on how to say some thing has intelligence, I guess part is being Self Aware, that would count for much in my opinion.

Rep:
Level 88
I think Arrowone's comment proves my point. His parent's could easily be more intelligent than him...no offence and I don't think you're dumb, it's just parents tend to be able to understand more and faster.

IQ tests don't measure intelligence, only general knowledge half the time, and it is very ethnocentric.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Height=intelligence? Meh? (sorry just looking at the end of you post and doing some assuming nightwolf)

Haha
Just saying, Los is so intelligent, i think his height his maximum measure of intelligence

Lol it was sorta joke, which is kinda popular

N E WAYS

Edit: Nightwolf: 13 huh?
Yes i am 13..

FFS IVE BEEN TRYING TO POST THRICE BUT GIVES THE SAME A MESSAGE WAS POSTED ERROR! STOP DAMNIT!
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
I think Arrowone's comment proves my point. His parent's could easily be more intelligent than him...no offence and I don't think you're dumb, it's just parents tend to be able to understand more and faster.

IQ tests don't measure intelligence, only general knowledge half the time, and it is very ethnocentric.

Yes. Obviously, they had more life-experience, etc. But I was better able to answer the wuestions by the test-taker so OMG I AM SMARTER. Certain crucial things are not properly tested.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Yes. Obviously, they had more life-experience, etc. But I was better able to answer the wuestions by the test-taker so OMG I AM SMARTER. Certain crucial things are not properly tested.

I think it's only naturel for children to be smarter then their parents. If they weren't, there would be something wrong...

So Nightwolf, wus up?

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Being Self aware is the starting Block to itelligence... A PC can do math, and spelling but is not self aware and there fore its not intelligent.

What I find amazing is Ants... They have such small heads and Brains but function so well... We can't make a Droid that small that does the same... Some things in life show an itelligence beyond understanding.  I doubt we will ever make any thing as near perfect as nature does.

I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer... If your limiting the debate towards people (Humans) and the measure of intelligence, I guess we can only be as intelligent as our minds will let us, and based on that basis we all have the same potential as each other and should not be compared with the likes of IQ scores... as they only measure lateral thinking and problem / puzzle solving.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Once I scored 141 on an IQ test, another time 153. :o
I said "NOWAI!" I can't imagine myself as a nerdy guy or something like that. People who don't know me for long due to my behaviour often assume I would be the kind of persons who has Ds all over him in school. O_o

And life experience is much better than any IQ. What point does an IQ of 200 have if you are totally naive and get fooled by anybody?!
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I would be the kind of persons who has Ds all over him in school.
I would be all over you in school, why? :-*

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
OK, OK... I was wrong to bring up IQ tests... LOL   ;D

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
OK, OK... I was wrong to bring up IQ tests... LOL   ;D
I like your "Self Aware" Point. But are humans really THAT self aware? I say that they're still in more of a transition of relying on instinct compared to being a fully self aware beings.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
@LoS: Actually no, it's an interesting matter. IQ tests really are inaccurate. Just look at my score span. There was once another IQ test I took, it was before these two. I've only got 127 I think. That makes a span of 26. This is too much.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
Well yes, but that's a given part of it at this point. What further steps need to be taken to measure general human intelligence?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Well yes, but that's a given part of it at this point. What further steps need to be taken to measure general human intelligence?
A higher intelligence... ::)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
IQ tests (officially administered ones, not the stupid online ones) are usually to measure intelligence of a specific area or age group, rather than an individual's exact intelligence.

Even though Saucy's IQ is 148 (or so he says), region as well as age plays a large role in what a good IQ test determines.

Taking about 5 or so minutes to take one of the plethora of Tickle's IQ tests, I scored a 140.

Generally on IQ tests I've scored anywhere from 135 to even 156.

While they may not measure JUST intelligence, I think an IQ test isn't such a bad way of doing so, as long as it's put together properly. There probably will never be a very precise way of measuring this, though. The reason being is that there are so many factors that make it difficult to do so, or even to compare, like age for example. Children have been documented to have IQ's of over 250, yet an adult with a relative IQ would be much lower. I may be wrong (it is 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet), but for Nightwolf's age, 119 is probably below average. Yet, his location also plays a part, and I definately don't know the average for his area.

It's above average so yeah, very good...

I find All members on here itelligent beyond their years, and fairly creative in some way.

100 is actually considered average. And there are several idiots here at the forums.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:09:58 PM by HaloOfTheSun »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
For the protocol: I am a total idiot. I don't deny it. *changes personal text again*

One part of IQ tests is usually to sort out odd pieces or "rotate and translate" stuff in your head. Intelligence could be called the power of imagination. Most probably everyone here knows that genius and insanity are very close. Why? A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind and you start halucinating. If I'm not wrong, many "geniuses" are often excentric and/or schizophrenic, etc. Being totally intelligent isn't as good as it may seem at first sight.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
I know my imagination scares the fuck out of me. I hallucinate when it's really dark/I don't have glasses, and I see some pretty scary shit.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
100 is actually considered average. And there are several idiots here at the forums.

Idiots, yes... but can an idiot still be itelligent... Take JH for example, he is intelligent but an idiot with it... some times rudeness walks hand in hand with people that are itelligent and they come across as Idiots... They talk down, be little and ridacule those that make a comment outside of whats considered correct.

I think itelligence is to question and better your self.  To try and look for answers other than those you know that are correct, finding and ellimenating all other senario's leaves you with the correct one...

For example the one above, some people on here are Idiots... or are they, they may come across that way through poor up bringing... but at the same time they could have some very intelligent thoughts.

I have faith in all Human intelligence, even escmo's... I mean they have no schooling, yet they fish them Ice holes like bitches... WOW...

A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind and you start halucinating. If I'm not wrong, many "geniuses" are often excentric and/or schizophrenic, etc.

Or you could have LSD in your Fatty tissue pockets and occasionaly be burning them off giving you a temp high... Well thats what my Doctor told me... I have only done LSD once... But Smoke Salvia often.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:18:09 PM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
And there are several idiots here at the forums.
Sheesh, you didn't have to burn yourself there Halo...

How can we really agree on intellect when we are still part of rituals and culture? Just how I think people are un-evolved for needing religion in their lives, I'm sure they feel the same way about me. Sadly in the words of LOS
I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer...

genius and insanity are very close. Why? A high intelligence can overwhelm your own mind
Hit the head on the nail.... ....

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
True Knowledge is in knowing you know nothing.

Rep:
Level 96
That's intelligent SOUNDING, but in the end, it's someone's personal belief, and doesn't really have a place in this discussion. :-\

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
That's intelligent SOUNDING, but in the end, it's someone's personal belief, and doesn't really have a place in this discussion. :-\
Who was that directed at???

Rep:
Level 88
Being Self aware is the starting Block to itelligence... A PC can do math, and spelling but is not self aware and there fore its not intelligent.

What I find amazing is Ants... They have such small heads and Brains but function so well... We can't make a Droid that small that does the same... Some things in life show an itelligence beyond understanding.  I doubt we will ever make any thing as near perfect as nature does.

I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer... If your limiting the debate towards people (Humans) and the measure of intelligence, I guess we can only be as intelligent as our minds will let us, and based on that basis we all have the same potential as each other and should not be compared with the likes of IQ scores... as they only measure lateral thinking and problem / puzzle solving.

No no, i'm not limiting anything.

as for HaloOfTheSun

Many respected psychologists dismiss the idea that IQ tests test intelligence at all, no matter what people try to say, though, that is not all psychologists, some do agree. If we're not measuring an individuals intelligence, but rather a group, isn't that a flaw to measure a sample, and wouldn't you still need an indepth Intelligence study of that group.

Age only plays a role, I think, if you don't compare with adults. I've seen IQ games out there, such as Chess, that do measure someone's intelligence, I think the World Chess Champion, is one of the most intelligent people on the planet since he has the ability to plan ahead, although s/he has unlocked the secret of the game.

Though I haven't done the premium PHD certified test on Tickle, I did the normal one. Didn't score so well, but that was because I didn't know what I was being asked, rather than being unable to understand it, which is why my IQ on tickle is 128 and 1 point below the needed number on HighIQsociety.

I think your view on children is quite right, but the fact is, they can absorb information 20x faster than anyone else in the world, and thus understand it alot faster.

My cousin passed his Law degree course last year with a 1st. He's 13. That makes me feel inferior. He doesn't score too well on IQ tests, but ask him anything about school or law and he'd recite a few books for you. He was home tutored by the way, which I also think plays a part in how intelligent you are. The most intelligent people on the planet are supposed to come from poor backgrounds, or sometimes middle class or even high class, but then there are the quiet ones, the ones who were home tutored and have the higher IQ's. On average in the UK, if you are Home tutored you do better in your studies, and have a higher IQ.

The True knowledge statement is a quote from some of the greatest thinkers in the known world, I think that does have a good point here.

You think that rituals and culture subtract from our intelligence? I think they show it! Do dogs, horses have culture or rituals, or even belief? No, they just have instinct. That seperates us from them. We can understand things far more. At least that is my belief.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
Was referring to the know nothing statement.

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
Mensa in England measure itelligence by giving an IQ test... I scored 128, not good enough to enter Mensa, but not a score to be ashamed of... Average I think is 98 to 110 so I am above average intelligence by their measure.

Try working out yours for free here:- http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html

I tried this one just now, its pretty simular to the Mensa one, I scored 122, but I am at work and a little busy

Try it one and post your score, trying over and over is only cheating your-self

Some old facts. Your score is becoming an average intelligence but the average differs. 110, 90 is slowly turning into, no offense to anyone, dumb. I scored 168 at MENSA, but I also know I had days when I didn't score above 126. In army records, I'm described as "very intelligent". Yet I found myself feeling stupid in inteligence terms, compared to other who may have even scored less than me, more than once. In addition, I know I most of the time simply ignore those kind of tasks where you have the unrolled image of a, for example, cube, and then you have to rotate and build it in your mind to select the right image. I find them very boring and of no interest to me, and I just ignore than, what reduces my score. On top to that, the fact someone isn't good at being able to rotate an object in mind (what requiers certain concentration) doesn't really mean he's stupid. The will to deal with the test, as well, varies from day to day, so in general I find it lame. With it, in my opinion, you can only understand who is mentally retarded, who appears just normal, and who has an affinity for special thingies.

Kekhem.

Theoretically, the intelligence should present your ability to "realize". It is, generally, composed of your perception, will, logic, knowledge, and ability to understand. It's getting very close to wisdom, the more you think of it. As basic, it's your perception and ability to understand given/displayed/put infront of. Then you apply your sense for logic. Then your willingness to deal with the given. Finally, the more you know the more information you can manipulate with where at the end can help you improve your ability to realize and perform.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Uhhh I say wisdom and intelligence are VERY different, and quite frankly I'd take wisdom any day...

Rep:
Level 88
I ended up with only 109, he I did another one last year and got 129. I'd say that's inaccurate, intelligence can not be measured. And I don't think that getting one year older would make me lose a good ol' 20. 20's just too much, or is it?

I think your view on children is quite right, but the fact is, they can absorb information 20x faster than anyone else in the world, and thus understand it alot faster.

This is what everyone says...

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I ended up with only 109, he I did another one last year and got 129. I'd say that's inaccurate, intelligence can not be measured. And I don't think that getting one year older would make me lose a good ol' 20. 20's just too much, or is it?

This is what everyone says...
I don't like the new IQ system, which includes "age" into the factor. It should be equal measurement.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Wisdom is the knowledge how to use your intelligence well. :)

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't really compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can only really compare in the same age-class.
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't reall compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can really only compare in the same age-class.
That's why I prefer it. :)

As to the age thing, it's inaccurate. It should be a different test, it tells the child that they have a potential for being an intellect, not that their necessarily smarter then older people with lower IQ's.

Rep:
Level 96

Age IS a factor when considering IQs. You can't really compare a 13-year old child with a 25-year old adult. You can only really compare in the same age-class.

Right. Just like any science project, you have to limit the number of variables being tested at once.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I some times feel less intelligent to others and more so depending on the subject matter...

I think as a whole Every one is equal but in different capacities...

Take for example menatlly retarded people like Mongrals, now many of these have an area of the brain thats super efficent, like there is one lad who can look at a building for about 5 secs (Big Ben) and then say how many bricks its made from, and then draw it picture perfect, brick by brick.  But ask him what the capital of England is and he wont have a clue (well he might, I don't know him or nothing, just an example).

All I am trying to say is we all have the same Brain mass, so in theory we are all equal...

I don't think that way... I don't feel any diferent to when I was 16, and I am 27... You will see what I mean when your my age... Yeah may be 13 is a little too young, But as soon as you stop growing then your on equal pegging... 16 up wards I think intelligence doesn't waver... Knowledge does as we are forever learning, I mean a 60 year old is going to know more than me about history, he was there for the best part of it, doesn't mean he is more intelligent.

I think its very possible to be more intelligent than an adult at the age of 16, and even know more in certain fields than an adult, being an adult does not give you answers you wouldn't find as a 16 year old... and I am not saying that as soon as you turn 16 a beam of light will hit and suddley your more intelligent than you are at 15... It differes and its gradual in each person.

Some people have a better memory than another, quoting text or facts you have remembered is not intelligence in my opinion.

Going from your own conclutions and questioning the main stream, thinking outside of the box and turning peoples heads and making them think... I think thats more intelligent than swallowing some one elses teachings.  Put it this way if you only ever learnt what was taught to you and never looked any place else or question that was taught, you would never be any more intelligent than the Teacher.

Good example of this is people saying the centre of the Earth is Solid Iron... and they have not drilled that far or seen the centre... Or saying there is no such thing as Ghosts, Aliens or Gods... I know there is no proof the other way around, no hard proof... So why say one is more true than another...

Questioning the Questionable and making the plausable more plausable... Stepping forwards or Backwards rather than standing is still moving, and if your mind is kept moving may be it wont deteroriate.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:03:17 PM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

All I am trying to say is we all have the same Brain mass, so in theory we are all equal...
I disagree. Brain mass, just like online IQ tests, are just a small base to go on. The size of the brain doesn't always reflect the individual. We are not all equal.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Exactly. Did you know that the cerebral activity of smarter persons is lower than the cerebral activity of not so smart persons? Smarter persons actually think less. In other words their brain is more capable.
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
You better post your response soon LOS, I'm getting tired...

Edit: Half a beer left....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:22:04 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I disagree. Brain mass, just like online IQ tests, are just a small base to go on. The size of the brain doesn't always reflect the individual. We are not all equal.

Like I said, Question the Questionable... Just cuz some test show Brain mass counts for very little doesn't mean its true...

Take you for example and compare your self to a brother should you have one, you both had the same or simular up bringing, he may get better results in some subjects than what you get, and visa versa...

But in problem solving... try playing shadow of the colossus together, one of you may be able to defeat a monster and find it simple, and the other wont... and then the tables will turn on the next monster...

I am not saying your incorrect... I mean not to question what I am saying by my own standard is wrong.

Every one should carry free thought... And I think then and only then is enlightenment obtained, to recognise that you your-self holds all keys to your own destiny, and that just cuz some one tells you some thing is wrong doesn't mean that is actually is... Like a One way street, the sign says do not enter, doesn't mean you can't walk down it... (Simple example)

But why over complicate things... If you apply the same to every problem you come across its nolonger a problem... Every little thing holds interest, its a universe of infinate possiabilties why narrow your veiw to the main stream, classes as facts... nothing is set in stone... and once you admit that then you can then reach your full potential... thats why I say we all have the same brain mass, and all have the same capcity to learn, and expand intelligence...

It could just be those that show more brain activity are over trying... Keep it Simple... After all the first thing that comes to mind is usually right... Voice or write down every thing, you will see what I mean, as you think more in the more discobulated the answer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:33:23 PM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
As I've said before, I don't believe that anything is fact, just the most likely possibility for the present time. There's no need to set your self in stone (  your correct, that is stupid ) but there is also no need to do the exact opposite of that either.

I don't have a blood brother. But even so, with my siblings, and even friends I always felt isolated due to my intellect, when I was younger I used to pity them. Now I just feel nothing.

As to the over complicating things: Well, sure, you don't have to, but "those" types are called hippies. I constantly dissect things in my mind, seeing how and why they work, it's this reason why I've accomplished so much, but it's also a curse. Thinking leads to answers. If you can answer that is...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
As I've said before, I don't believe that anything is fact, just the most likely possibility for the present time. There's no need to set your self in stone (  your correct, that is stupid ) but there is also no need to do the exact opposite of that either.

I don't have a blood brother. But even so, with my siblings, and even friends I always felt isolated due to my intellect, when I was younger I used to pity them. Now I just feel nothing.

As to the over complicating things: Well, sure, you don't have to, but "those" types are called hippies. I constantly dissect things in my mind, seeing how and why they work, it's this reason why I've accomplished so much, but it's also a curse. Thinking leads to answers. If you can answer that is...

All very vaild points... I can't really pull apart any of them... As I feel very much the same... I have felt Isolated due to the way I think, I just went on a Fag break and asked my work mates How they would Measure itelligence, and their First answer was an IQ test very much like my own, then it turned to general knowledge...

I then told a work mate my thoughts on the matter, he agreed that questioning and bettering teachings are pretty much the only way to achive true knowledge else we would still think the Earth was flat...

I know going out of the way to question every thing is stupid... a door is still a door for example... And you need not look at the place it leeds to work out its a door...

Things you can't place a hand on or see you can't comment on... and thats just like intelligence, it not some thing we can poor into a jug and say right he has more than him there fore he is better... Its more like looking at how big the vessle is you filling and saying right it can only be filled so much... IE look at the Human brain, knowning whats possible with that space is knowing how far Human intelluigence can get without evolution... There are always going to be oss factors to the common person, and some that may show more interlect than others, but in the same breath they may only know how to use their brains more effectivly than another... Is that intelligence or common sense...? Who knows, both are opinions of common human mind capcity and strength.

The correct anwser in my opinion is there is no correct answer... Intellignce is limited to conception of thaught and the human capcity.

With out thinking and just knowning, knowning ones self and inner workings, relying on instinct and Guile is what kept the Human race alive and those primitive notions in effect is what makes us intelligent... To say one of us rather than another is more intelligent would be wrong as a speices or a race we are intelligent, If you ever feel isolate its by your own doing, dig at some ones mind every one has their own strengths, things can come natrually to some that wont to another, Intelligence is always part of us as a Race...

So all in all, I am saying to label one person as more intelligent than another is a form a predjuice, after all we are all created Equal... Even if your own comparrison of your self to others on here you may think yourself more intelligent infact makes it more likely that your not... In my opinion... (Not putting you down, as I said we are all Equal) But you doing that I think would suggest you would not be open to the opinions of some one whom you think is less intelligent and there by missing, may be, some valuable info or a 2nd insight into working out a soloution.

I don't Judge people, without good reason, and even then I would not question their intelligence, usually I question their Moral Fibre if I can trust them, that sort of standing, but never their Interlect, as they have the same capacity as any one else.

Never right some one off as less intelligent... We all have the same restriction in mental capacity (my answer in one line)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:12:38 PM by landofshadows »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Deliciously_Saucy - Is a Girl by the Gender Logo by the AVA...

And even if she aint then take it as a Compliment... to be found atractive by the same gender is a great compliment and flattery, If they touch you then KICK THE SHITE OUT OF EM !!!! LOL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:18:49 PM by landofshadows »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
How intelligent this is becoming... ( I just come back up to get some cat food BTW... Still sleepy... )

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I suppose we can look at what causes intelligence to differ from one person to another, but again I just think those that struggle are those that over think things, but for me to assume leaves my theory open to debate, and goes against all I follow to be true.

Brain activity and the firing between idea's and how quickly some one reacts can all be atributed to intelligence... IE if I throw a ball at you and you catch it more times out of ten, does that make you more inteliigent than some one who drops it more times...?  Can hand and eye co-ordination also be used to measure the sin-appses of the brain, and their by govern how quick you think, could that measure interlect, or not... I mean a proffesional ball player could catch a ball more times than the average Joe... So that blows that theory out of the water...

Just noticed I am typing as I think... When doing this you can answer your own question, and on that notes points me back at the 1st post in the Thread.

The answer is there... there is no answer, and I have said this 3 times now, yet I still feel drawn in making sense out of nothing...?

I should just admit I know nothing, thats would be the most intelligent thing to do in regards to measuring interllect, its not some thing that can me measured...

Rep:
Level 88
For what purpose would the measurement of "intelluct" come in handy though? When I first saw this thread I expected GilgameshRO to come in a say straight out the answer, I myself was going to say that it couldn't be measured straight out. But this thread proves to bring decent discussion (I haven't been inputing, but reading).

Never right some one off as less intelligent... We all have the same restriction in mental capacity (my answer in one line)

That's true although you'll find that's what usually happens in forums *coughIMDbcough*. Only when we stop being ignorant (good luck Jared) will we be able to know how smart we all are (which is never?). Saying we are restricted is a stretch. Saying we aren't is as well. Would I be using the word right to say intelligence is almost a paradox. But then again most of this debate has become somewhat of a stretch. Kinda interesting. I feel like a nerd now. :/

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
ataraxy2 - Very interesting points...

Who's Jared ?

Saying we are restricted is a stretch

True, Due to Evolution there could be some amoungst us who have a higher capacity for learning, and who is to say that Evoultion is at its best. 

Saying we aren't is as well

Or if Evoultion is a correct theory at all ? So again, your right again.

Would I be using the word right to say intelligence is almost a paradox

It's an opinion and a vaild one, if intelligence can't be measured to a degree you could call it a Paradox.

I feel like a nerd now

You bettered yourself by thinking outside of normal convention, nobody else raised points like your own, you kept it simple and said what first came to mind... I would say thats Intelligent... In my OPINION.

Rep:
Level 88
Thanks.  :) I'm Jared, I usually, when on forums type straight out what I think - hence me mentioning myself. If I follow MSWord's definition of intelligence:

1. ability to think and learn the ability to learn facts and skills and apply them, especially when this ability is highly developed

Then I'd say we aren't restricted... although we can't be sure of that. But that's the point, this is intelligent debate - speculation (and flaming).

Although people refer to it also as a high form: (e.g. Intelligent Debate [advanced, or rational discussion], Intelligent Dance Music [not that you can dance to it but at the time of the creation of this genre it was new, unique, more complicated {I still say that it is} than any other genre and so they chose Intelligent])

In my OPINION.

Interesting that you mention opinion. As I can't think of how, but I have the feeling it relates to the topic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 04:32:55 PM by ataraxy2 »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Interesting that you mention opinion. As I can't think of how, but I have the feeling it relates to the topic.

Opinions differ from one person to the next, Opinions are always Relivant in debates, it's what fuels them.

1. ability to think and learn the ability to learn facts and skills and apply them, especially when this ability is highly developed

Then I'd say we aren't restricted... although we can't be sure of that. But that's the point, this is intelligent debate - speculation

As long as we are forever adapting to suite and better our-selves as a Race I agree, should our brains need to grow in time they will do, that is if you follow Darwin's Theory.  But if we have always had the same capcity then all we are doing is gain knowlege through time and we are not evolving, then we have already established Intelligence and Wisdom are seperate...

So that raises a new look at this debate are we more intelligent now than we was say 800 years ago...  Or are we learning from previous generations and moving forwards not cuz we are more intelligent but from inherent learning ?

I don't think our Brain capacity has changed, our skulls have not got any bigger or the stucture or genetic make up of the brain has not altered... May be our way of thinking and trail and error through the years play hand in hand, and utilising and finding floors in our own technology has spurred us on.

So may be intelligence is like I say thinking differently... A door is still a door, but an Automatic one is better than a manual one.

Rep:
Level 88
A door is still a door, but an Automatic one is better than a manual one.

My new sig. :)

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Quality... I am well happy with that... One of my quotes used as a Siggy... Kind of taken back !!!  :o ::) :o

More so, the fact your based on the other side of the globe... Is kind of cool.

And I guess when stuff like that happens then its not Nerdy any more.

But this is Super Nerdy

I wonder if we took our most recent technology back in time say 800 years now and gave the ull workings of the technology to the people of that time would they better the people of today...?

If we Went back and say taught the children of then up to their teen years of one single nation would they have understood the mechics lehind laser disc's and PC's or would they not of had the intelligence to do so...?

It makes you wonder if thats not whats already happening I mean technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last centry... It makes you wonder if in the future man kind faces hardship so they sent technology back in time to now and all we are doing is reproducing it...

Now I am chatting Bollox... But you have to admit from an Atari 2600 Comabt game to Crysis on the Xbox 360 and to think its only been 20 years is MENATL...

If some one says the tanks in the Atari version looks better, I know I have said every is right to express their opinions, but in this case I would have to Quote Jesus Hitler... FUCK OFF !!! LOL

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:40:10 PM by landofshadows »

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Lol, you should be very proud! *Watchs the post count go up by one!*

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
Sorry, I only skimmed what you guys've put in so far, so if I talk about anything you've already been over, forgive me.

It really depends on what you mean by "intelligence" in the first place.

Quote from:  Merriam-Webster
1 a  (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON; also : the skilled use of reason  (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) b Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind c : mental acuteness : SHREWDNESS

3 : the act of understanding : COMPREHENSION

Here, it's the ability to learn, apply what you've learned, and apply it effectively. So intelligence could be referring to mental resilience- how well and how rationally someone responds to change. Someone who is bipolar (or has another emotional disorder, or any disorder like that, whatever)  could be learned, but if they can't respond well to sudden shifts in environment or something, or if they can't do it reasonably, then that rules out their intelligence under one definition.  Also, one could very knowledgeable and smart without an ounce of common sense (Einstein, for example, was a brilliant man, but would forget to put on pants in the morning, or would wear them backwards), but wouldn't be considered very intelligent because they wouldn't be applying a "skilled use of reason." Then, there are people with learning disorders who may retain information and use it perfectly once they've gotten it down, but have a very difficult time comprehending what they are being taught at first.

In my opinion, an I.Q. test is really a measure of POTENTIAL intelligence, and not very accurate at all for the measure of "actual" intelligence. A lot of the questions on an I.Q. test are pretty abstract, and some people (me, for one :P) do a lot better with concrete problems.

I mean, how you were raised, where you were raised, how and where you were taught, age, and lots of other things all factor in. Compare a child from the Western world (one who goes to a public school, has access to references, media, technology, ect.) to maybe a native from Africa or something (a kid who doesn't have access to any modern technology or teaching). Of course the Western child is going to be more "intelligent", but is he, really?  He will have the television, the internet, books, whatever, but he won't learn to care for himself (cook, work, ect.) until he's older, and he might play video games (:P) all day. He learns very passively, and may not be very socially adept. A native, however, would be taught from an early age how to fulfill their role in the community, and would be much more socially and imaginatively active (not saying that all Western children AREN'T, just trying to make an example here). So culture and environment are a big part of it, so is age. It's usually the case that a normal thirty year old is going to know more than a smart ten year old. With age comes experience, and with experience come knowledge, which generally plays a role in intelligence.

Errr, if you don't want to read all of that, here's my opinion- I don't think there is a good way to measure intelligence.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 88
Don't worry, some of these have been particularly long posts but, I agree here.

And LoS...sending technology back in time...do you know how many times I've thought about that, and if it has actually happened. Quite freaky.

Djangonator, every, opinion matters, if you think intelligence is something different then you can feel free and express that view and tell us or try to convince us why. But you have basically got what we have said in not so many words.

Even on the last sentence, you are quite correct which is why many Psychologists and Psychiatrists are having problems working out how to analyse intelligence, as we will always want to better ourselves.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I don't like intelligent people because most of them are douchebags.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I measure intelligence based on wether or not they agree with me, and how logical their statements are.

Rep:
Level 96
I base intelligence on ability to handle the fact that people have different views on things, and the ability to accept that they themselves might, in fact, be wrong.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I wonder if we took our most recent technology back in time say 800 years now and gave the ull workings of the technology to the people of that time would they better the people of today...?
Well it COULD make them better people... Or it could utterly destroy them... You not meant to intervene with less developed cultures...

And I think an IQ test can be a fine way to measure intelligence, but just remember, it doesn't measure Wisdom. A smart man can still be a fool.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I base intelligence on ability to handle the fact that people have different views on things, and the ability to accept that they themselves might, in fact, be wrong.
Man you're a real moron.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Man you're a real moron.
Then so are you. It may be a bad thing to BASE something on, but the statement wasn't necessarily wrong and does show signs of intelligence.

Oh and if that was a joke, then I suggest on you getting out of this section, and to go play with the rest of the children.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:49:39 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what to do? If you simply said "hey guys, lets get back on topic!" that'd have been great. But you're going to be a cock about it and just expect me to sit back? I don't think so. People whine about how intelligent debate is spammy and full of insults and you are only contributing to it's degradation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:14:40 AM by GilgameshRO »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what to do?
Lol :P. Calm down rex...

Edit: Just because your a mod, doesn't mean you can get away without people being honest with you. I won't sugar coat my responses because of who you think YOU are.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:15:29 AM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Rep:
Level 96
You know, I'm pretty sure he was joking. And seeing as how he has to put up with/clean up everyone's bullshit in here, I say he deserves a free post every once in a while. Plus, you are so far out of line it's not even funny.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
You know, I'm pretty sure he was joking. And seeing as how he has to put up with/clean up everyone's bullshit in here, I say he deserves a free post every once in a while. Plus, you are so far out of line it's not even funny.
Alright, I apologise.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Thank you. Anyways, back to the topic. There really is no good way to judge intelligence. =/

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I have a high respect for Gilgamesh... He helped me learn how to sprite well, he actually took time out and edited the sprite for me and pointed out what I needs do... that must have been about a year ago now... MENTAL...

Any ways back on topic....

Errr... I think I have covered every asspect now on the Topic from my point of view...

Djangonator - Some points you have put up are simular to my own but much better worded... I have a learning disorder and find it hard, but that does not make me any less intelligent...

Rep:
Level 96
That's another thing, and a great topic starter. Many people know what they want to say, but can't properly say it.

An obvious example would be people with disabilities. In my first block class every other day, there is a mute person in my class. Also, he cannot walk, or see. However, we know he is no less intelligent than us. He can understand English very well, he has a great sense of humor, and he is quite intelligent. He's going to write (well not write but sort of "talk" out) a large essay in about a week. I can't wait to read what he has to say.

Now don't think of me as a self-pitying asshole for this next part, I am merely using myself as an example. When I get into an argument, I think of great arguments against my opponent. But, I have trouble wording them effectively. This lets the other person twist it around and kill my side with it. I know what I want to say, but I can't say it.

In both scenarios you have normal people who have hit a sort of roadblock. This doesn't mean they're dumb, or special, or anything. Theoretically, they are normal. They just need a bit of help. So how can somebody be sure if He is as smart as I am? Or if I am as smart as HE is? What can we do to measure intelligence for people with disablities of that kind?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Djangonator - Some points you have put up are simular to my own but much better worded... I have a learning disorder and find it hard, but that does not make me any less intelligent...
Wow, that was a very brave thing to admit :).

But even though I don't wish to hurt your feelings, in some way's it does. You may have the same general notion as Albert Einstein, but it was his ability to express things that made him famous. There are different types of intellect, high linguistics is one of them.

On certain plains your as equally smart, but everyone has flaws.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I think LoS is a pretty smart guy and his determination makes up for his dyslexia. I don't really think it makes him any less than anyone else. Maybe he gets things slower, but that can be worked through.

Rep:
Level 96
Right! Exactly. Rather than assuming they are innately inferior, we should help them up.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I have dyslexia... I spell words how they sound rather than how they should be, I think I am learning through remembering how things are spelt... I have trouble reading, I miss words or whole sentences... and Cuz I can't read all that well means I don't read too much... infact being on here I have read more than I have in my whole life...

But if you was to talk to me you would have no idea I have any learning disorder... My doctor says it could be due to my spin being twisted and that upsets the balance of the Brain, he said recent studies show when some one returns from space they too have problems simular to my own in reading.

My mate who has been dyslexic all his life went to the doctors as his Arse looks too nig, they X-rayed him and one of his legs is shorter than the other and thats displaced his hip, they said he would have been born like it... his doctor actually asked him if he has problems with balance and reading and writting...

Here is a little on it:- http://www.dyslexic.org.uk/va4.htm

According to some Einstein was also dyslexic...

I am learning lods on here... With reading as much as I have to, some times I have to read a post two or three times to make sense of it... But at the same time I am learning how to spell some new words... Kind of crazy, 27 and I only learnt the word Remember about a month ago...

But some days I wake up and I can spell some thing I couldn't the week before... It never consitant... Oh and I seem to have no problems spelling nasty words like Disembowlment... and so fourth... I know the meaning of pretty mush every word, like a walking theosaurs (thats not a dinosaur, but I spelt it like it is, but you now what I mean, I hope)...LOL

An ta, for the heads up and backing...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:59:58 AM by landofshadows »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Right! Exactly. Rather than assuming they are innately inferior, we should help them up.
Woh! Don't take what I said to be an attack against LOS, I was just trying to be honest, which I'm sure is what he would want from people. Not to be treated differently.

According to some Einstein was also dyslexic...
Yeh... I remember hearing that too...

Rep:
Level 96
Woops! Wasn't saying that, sorry. Just used to seeing it a lot in public, it really pisses me the fuck off.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
possibly the smartest man on earth could measure intelligence. but i think i really measure intelligence by not neccesarily a technical look like how well you do on test scores, but kind of by creativity.
creativity expands to looking outside the box, and looking beyond.
thats why many artists are considered geniuses, and albert einstein looked outside the box to create his theories

Rep:
Level 96
I don't know how to measure, but here's a possible scale to grade one.

Activity out of Potential.

HOw much you are using out of what you can use I would say.

Rep:
Level 88
Christina has a good point there.

Again what is intelligence? Is it creativity? Well...up for discussion, or is it part of it?

As for LoS suffering from Dyslexia...he's doing damn awful well. Here's my personal view on it.

"I don't view dyslexia as a disability, rather a handicap, for someone to try harder and to overcome. Someone like LoS is a prime example. If he hadn't of said anything, we wouldn't have known, he spells words as they sound, which is much the same as me, yet some words are slightly different like synchronized. So yeah, I don't recognize dyslexia and I think people who use it as an excuse are time wasters. That's why I prefer people to not admit it, until I know them rather than say it at the start. "

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
(Some of the things I am about to say probably have been said but heres my views anyway)

Intelligence? To some degree what you know can make up part of your intelligence. But also how your act increases your intelligence as such. Being incredible smart but being an arse about it dosn't make you intelligent. Even the low-level abilty people (Forgot what you call them... <_<) could be classed as more intelligent then a snob if they are polite. Also, sometimes being funny can make you sound more intelligent. Being more helpful will mean more people will look up to you with a respect for being more intelligent. There really are many ways to measure such a thing, and this is how I do it.

Regards,
Darico

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
So yeah, I don't recognize dyslexia and I think people who use it as an excuse are time wasters.

To be a time waster would be to try and learn... the way I see it is I can draw fairly well, I can't read to good... So what... If you can't draw you don't bother drawing right ?? Or if you do you do the best you can...

Thats like me and reading and I only mention it if A) Some one Attacks my spelling or B) Calls me retarded C) Raises an issue like Enstien, being a genius with a handicap... It was relitive to the discussion...

So I don't think by those standards I am a time waster... And to view me as one, pee's me off a Tad.

thats why many artists are considered geniuses

Here's one of my drawings so you can see how creative I am:-

CONGNITION - Drawn when I was 19                                                           

SNAKES - Drawn Last year I was 26 (Entered into Numan6 Compo)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:04:25 PM by landofshadows »

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Wow, they are pretty good. I can't even go in a straight line  ;8 (Where the hell is that sarcastic smily gone to??)

Rep:
Level 96
The old one's kinda lame, because it's just a collage of random, already created characters, but the newer one is pretty cool because it's more original and therefore, well, more creative.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
already created characters

The Dragon, The devil head, Golem and the reaper are the only ones you would recognise I am guessing... The others are made up... (so the Man snake at the bottom, the One Eyed scorpion butterfly thing, the Newt chick, the Two legged orange Hammer head beastie and the flamming head are my own... I tried mixing known beasties and my own to get people thinking they are all Well known creatures...

Cheers...

(Where the hell is that sarcastic smily gone to??)

sarcastic... about my art being WOW and pretty good, or your talent of Line drawing is far worst than your making out ?

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Umm... the line drawing thingy...

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
Creativity (not solely artistic creativity) is a good PART of, but by no means should it be used as a measure of, intelligence. Some "creative" persons are fucking moronic. It may be "creative" to wear a boot as a hat, but that doesn't necessarily make someone bright.

Anyway, intelligence changes constantly, even on a day-to-day basis. I think people should be more concerned not about finding their overall intelligence, but finding their current capacity for knowledge, understanding, and reasoning, and learning how to be able to apply it all practically, usefully, and frequently., and then learning to challenge and better themselves

Intelligence seems, to me, to be defined as too much of an abstract concept. Who cares what you have gotten on an I.Q. test? Who cares if your "intelligence" is "above average"? What's the point of having this sort of "intelligence" if a person is not going to come up with concrete support of the number they've scored on a test?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:30:14 PM by Djangonator »
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
For all my Art (online at the mo) see the thread in creative outlet:- http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,11776.msg148081.html#msg148081

I think the itelligence can earn people a fair amount of respect, and is greatly under-valued... I wish all people would try and better their own intelligence...

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Creativity (not solely artistic creativity) is a good PART of, but by no means should it be used as a measure of, intelligence. Some "creative" persons are fucking moronic. It may be "creative" to wear a boot as a hat, but that doesn't necessarily make someone bright.

I disagree. I think creative artistic persons show great signs of genius in many ( not all ) cases. As we're dissecting here there isn't ONE simple form of intellect. I say certain artist show great signs of intelligence even if they can't do math...

Rep:
Level 89
measuring poeples intelligence cannot be done through creativity.
First way to tell intelligence:are they camplete jackasses to idiots.
second way you would know: do they call you a retard for not caring or having ADD
third way to tell their smart; they know more and don't stfu on question or ask question.
that just mean they are  jackasses that ack or fucktard that act smart or both.

Rep:
Level 89
Koopa Troopa!
I got a score of 109 on the online IQ test. (I'm 12.)

It depends on how you measure it. I'd say there is many types of intelligence...like theres pratical, DIY and stuff.
Then theres stuff like algebra, not pratical...when will you need it? Then there is down right intelligence like, I wont touch the boiling water, it will hurt me  :D and stuff like that.

Rep:
Level 88
Then theres stuff like algebra, not pratical...when will you need it?

Well I can deny it as much as I want but Algebra + BEDMAS are basically the key to working out lots of things - basically make formulas.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
There are so many different kinds of intelligence, and the only real way to know if someone is intelligent is to stand face to face and look them in the eyes.
When you sit down and talk to someone one on one and it becomes very obvious.
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Rep:
Level 96
Woah, I smell cheese...

That eye thing is bull, it's an illusion created by hollywood and literature. All you're doing is sizing the other guy up based on their looks and expression, and what they've said and done most recently.

*tosses first argument*

The second argument however, is entirely understandable, though completely open to abuse.

Rep:
Level 88
As for talking to someone, I guess you're right, but yes that "eye" thing is just Hollywood science. Fake.

You can tell alot of things from looking into someones eyes but I doubt that intelligence is one of them.

You can tell what someone is thinking and be able to answer their next question without even hearing them say it if you're good enough at it.

I'm impressed this topic got this far, perhaps the mystery of intelligence has intrigued people, no?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
In wars and so fourth or other events that cause people to rely on each other to the point their lives depend on it, people have claimed to be able to hear what the other is thinking.

Here's some info on it:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepathy

May be one day, the part of the brain that controls pre-empted thought will develope.

Rep:
Level 88
As for talking to someone, I guess you're right, but yes that "eye" thing is just Hollywood science. Fake.

You can tell alot of things from looking into someones eyes but I doubt that intelligence is one of them.

I didn't mean measure how intelligent someone is, but from what I've experienced, you can tell if they are intelligent at all.

As opposed to some people who tend to have that glazed eyes, staring into empty space thing going on.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
May be one day, the part of the brain that controls pre-empted thought will develope.

What is preemptive thought? You know what you're going to think before you think it?

As opposed to some people who tend to have that glazed eyes, staring into empty space thing going on.

That is how people look when they're bored, not stupid.

Rep:
Level 88
Ask someone why the general consensus of the prima materia suggests a goal which is reachable in theory but stretches the limits of man in reality given that the state of the actual matter transmuted would in essence cease to exist due to the nature of everything having to be uniform, and with that said would not nothing be an adequate sacrifice for the desired amount of something and would also not everything be an inadequate sacrifice due to everything in it's essence being prima materia?

You can practically see questionmarks in their eyes.
So it's not just when people are bored, it's also when they don't have a clue what you're talking about. ^_^

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
I didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Does that make me stupid?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I think intelligence isn't what your iq is but how you handle situations in life. 

Rep:
Level 88
Quote from: Salad

:o How can you not know? It's basic alchemy..

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88

Alchemy is as valid as astrology.

Rep:
Level 96
Which is about as valid as the eye thing. Congratulations: Once again Elegy, you have killed your own misconstrued points.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I got an IQ of 117, and I'm only turning 13! Woot, though I had to guess like 4 of em  ::)

As for measuring pure intelligence, it is impossible because people have unimaginable knowledge in certain areas and understanding in different fields.

~Winged

Rep:
Level 88
Alchemy is valid, it's just that you don't understand it yet.

I took that IQ test when I was 12, got 152.
But those tests are really invalid, my father took it and got 140-something, and I know he's far more intelligent than I am.

Rep:
Level 97
WHAT? A MODERATOR IN INTELLIGENT DEBATE? IT'S TRUE! Yes, I decided to take a random trip in here, and now regret my choice, as I think my IQ has dropped a few points reading some of the posts here and trying to make them make sense.

But those tests are really invalid, my father took it and got 140-something, and I know he's far more intelligent than I am.

Hm... I think the first thing wrong here is you're talking about the validity of alchemy (lol) in a topic of measuring intelligence. Which, really, isn't bad, unless you're trying to say alchemy is... oh wait, you are saying that....

And, as said way earlier in this topic (by me, I believe), IQ test scores between adults and children are not relative. It would be perfectly normal to score higher than an intelligent adult when you are a child. 152 for a child, is actually, barely average, but still... alchemy... lol

Good luck, gonorrhoea, arrow... LOS.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D

wtf salad? atleast try to quote!

impossible. just impossible.
I think intelligence isn't what your iq is but how you handle situations in life. 

iq is actually common sense( as in tough common sense) intelligence+handling situations with intelligence, just not normally.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
In my defense I'm not the one who claimed alchemy was invalid, I doubt most people even know what alchemy is.

Salad is short for saladin, I don't look at all the names, I quoted that other moderator guy as House in an earlier post ^_^

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I doubt most people even know what alchemy is.
Actually they do. That is why your being mocked.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Elegy turning out to be an idiot again. ::)

EDIT:
If you haven't read the earlier posts (which you most probably haven't, since Halo is repeating himself here already...) I've scored 153 the last time I've made an IQ Test a year ago when I was 19. If you want to prove us you have an IQ over 80, you should start posting more intelligent posts instead of posting how much you've scored in an IQ test 5 years ago. ::)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:24:17 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
Yes, I'm the idiot because I have ideas of my own and am not just agreeing with mr. and mrs. popularity here..

Fine then saucy, tell me what you believe alchemy is all about.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
No, you're an idiot, because you don't respect other's opinions and try to ENFORCE your own ideas and your own opinion. And I'm not Mr. Popular, but you're definitely going to become Mr. Unpopular if you continue being an idiot.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
I have never done anything like that, all I've been doing is instigating and trying to make people angry, you don't even know what my ideas are, how can you claim I try to enforce them on anyone?

To be honest you're the one enforcing your belief system on people and then going on the defensive when someone (that would be me) decides to disagree with you.

For a person of claimed intelligence you sure love using the word idiot instead of adressing the point.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
You sure love to miss the point, so why should I even state one? It's just wasted time.

Your ideas were that Evolution is a Religion, that humans are unnatural, that mankind is destroying the planet and we all are gonna die, etc. Want more? Now, if you're gonna be a little baby and continue whining, make your own topic, stop spamming other's topics instead.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
can't post a single reply without trying to offend me? I'm flattered that you think I care.
I like you.

In any case those aren't my ideas, I'm simply the messenger.

Intelligence is more than mathematics and how much of a science book you decided to memorize, you can have intellectual knowledge and social knowledge, or, to use the aweful terms: book smarts and street smarts.
Them you can have both, like I do ;)

Wisdom is also separate from intelligence.
Something you gain from experience and over time rather than something learned from a book.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
You're jumping over to conclusions. You don't even know that I have a lot of street smarts. And you're offending others all the time including me.

Did you know that people who think themselves of messengers earlier or later get into the sanatorium? Want to know something about wisdom? Read this here:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13155.0.html

You obviously have the wrong picture of me, since you don't care to get the real one (duh, no wonder, you skim my posts). After "Wisdom without knowledge is nothing" I said in there "Knowledge without wisdom is even less". =/
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
[whisper]The part after "I'm just the messenger" was on topic and not directed at you[/whisper]  ;)

Rep:
Level 96
You know, the reason everyone is perceiving you as an ass is not because we are trying to force our opinions on you. We are sharing our own, and we are able to better back them up. On top of that, you don't want to hear it. For instance, when we pointed out the ignorance, (and IMPOSSIBILITY of alchemy) you simply stated that we did not know what alchemy was. Work on your own flaws before counting someone else's.

Rep:
Level 88
Arrow-1, I don't know what you consider backing things up to be, but no one backed anything up when claiming alchemy is invalid.

Rep:
Level 96
Ok, how about the process of an Alchemic transformation has never been completed succesfully. Care to say otherwise?

Rep:
Level 88
Despite popular belief, alchemy isn't centered around turning lead into gold.

Alchemy is metallurgy, chemistry, astrology, astronomy, mathematics, medicine, mineralogy, physics, philosophy, mysticism, semiotics and art all in one.
Penicillin is proof enough of it's validity.

Now stop going off-topic.

Rep:
Level 96
Alchemy is NOT metallurgy, chemistry, astrology, astronomy, mathematics, medicine, mineralogy, physics, philosophy, mysticism, semiotics or art.

Metallurgy, chemistry, astrology, astronomy, mathematics, medicine, mineralogy, physics, philosophy, mysticism, semiotics and art are
metallurgy, chemistry, astrology, astronomy, mathematics, medicine, mineralogy, physics, philosophy, mysticism, semiotics and art, respectively.

And you honestly don't have room to talk.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Yes, I'm the idiot because I have ideas of my own and am not just agreeing with mr. and mrs. popularity here..

Fine then saucy, tell me what you believe alchemy is all about.

Okay, first of all, youre an idiot because after been proving wrong, you did what mental and blaze did, DID NOT ACCEPT IT.
Youre own ideas suck, we're trying to tell you to improve but nooo you wanna be a idiot all my life!

Irritating ppl since 1989? Stfu now, you've done enough.

ALSO Alchemy is about understanding things( well you need brains for alchemy) which you lack.

Im not saying that you suck, this is just a more aggresive way for saying that when someone tries to help you, LISTEN TO HIM/HER AND DONT FIGHT BACK.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Get a dictionary arrow-1.

Quote from: nightwolf
ALSO Alchemy is about understanding things( well you need brains for alchemy) which you lack.

Oh no, now you've hurt my feelings. :'( Take it back...

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Well sorry if I'm stupider than you, but I'm proud of my IQ because I didn't get it under 100!

~Winged

Rep:
Level 88
Hey hey, no libel defamation here please, this is an intelligent thread and I'd prefer it if people talked about the subject.

Besides in regard to Winged...

IQ doesn't measure intelligence, it measures only general knowledge, memory, and perception of patterns. Just because you aren't good at the way they are set out does not mean that you aren't extremely intelligent in other areas such as Art, and Music.

After all, some of the worlds greatest thinkers suffer from Autism, and some of those hardly ever have an IQ of above a 100. Yet they can play two piano's simulataneously at grade 8 level.

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I think of IQ as intelligence in general areas, not as the full potential of ones mind so thanks for the explanation to try and "cheer me up" and explain a bit more, but I'm 100% aware IQ doesn't determine the human brain's knowledge.  ;D

~Winged

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Intelligence can get developed during the years. It's not fixed or something like that. It's the power of perception and recognizing patterns IMHO.
Visit our website.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Get a dictionary arrow-1.

Quote from: nightwolf

Oh no, now you've hurt my feelings. :'( Take it back...

Now i get your plan, you're a pretty intelligent guy man, you want to lure us out of topic into flaming you or something? You know what? You're not pissing me, i enjoy aall this, but dont take part, so yet again we end with my world famour quote- YOU SUCK.

IQ, specially the net one, is just a way to spent our tinmme and entertain ourselves, those questions are like damn easy(even though some of us cant solve all) but theyre easy if we actually had time to do it you know.

IM EINSTIEN!
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
So you're dyslexic then? Does that mean he was less intelligent though? Maybe we could measure intelligence pessimistically...by how many disabilities and incapabilities they have.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
If you cant even understand a smal simple joke, then you seriously need help.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm trying to get back on topic, silly jokes like that...take them to the spam forum.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I was just stating that i had some what a good point, mr. Short temper.

Why do all of you get angry SOOO fast?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Right before a mod does it...

End of topic.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.