RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you measure intelligence

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Now this is an excellent debatable topic, as it has no right or wrong answers.

The truth is, no one knows, so the question is...

What is intelligence, how do you view it?
What is a good method of measuring intelligence.

If everyone criticizes the person above them, and comes up with an idea they think is better, I think we should come up with some good method of testing intelligence. Remember, we're not even sure what intelligence is...so feel free to debate that at any time as well.

-------------------------------

I have my own views, so i'll wait until someone else starts.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Remember, we're not even sure what intelligence is...

Heh, speak for yourself.   :tpg:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Okay so the dictionary has a definition, but go ahead, tell me...what is intelligence, because us psychologists, think slightly differently.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Mensa in England measure itelligence by giving an IQ test... I scored 128, not good enough to enter Mensa, but not a score to be ashamed of... Average I think is 98 to 110 so I am above average intelligence by their measure.

Try working out yours for free here:- http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html

I tried this one just now, its pretty simular to the Mensa one, I scored 122, but I am at work and a little busy

Try it one and post your score, trying over and over is only cheating your-self

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Rep:
Level 88
Try www.highiqsociety.org

I hear they have a tough one.

Yet, I don't think IQ tests measure intelligence, which is why I want someone to post what they view intelligence is. Is intelligence just someone with a high IQ.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I'm a high school dropout, my IQ is 148.  :-*

But yeh LOS, nothing to be ashamed of there, you basically have the same IQ as the average person who has finished collage. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.

Oh RavenShade, I get what your talking about, if I have had less to drink tonight you would have received my opinion on this matter. Good topic.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
See, there are 3 things- Intelligence, Power and Decission.
Int. And Power and not all needed, we need to decide properly.
By Int and Power, we can make kewl things like the tv, comp, but also stuff like the cannons, gunz etc.

So there Decission comes.
And after good decission, the intelligent used, even a little, even a lightbulb..is far more good than a gun.

Thats the mechanical view

now,
There are people like LOS(well he's all grown but still) he watches the news, is aware about facts of the world, know general knowledge, and also fights for right stuff and also listens to his mind
He's not like Saucy said yes, so he says yes, he has his view too.
Now he's someone i can call intelligent

How tall r u Los?

Edit: For Los's Iq test, i tried it about 4 days ago lol, i got like 118-119 lol

Kewl for a 13 yr huh?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:34:29 PM by Nightwolf »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
IQ Tests have a history of being flawed, and can't be used to gain an accurate measure of one's intelligence. Really, they're more of a general IDEA of your intelligence rating, you'd have to get other ways of testing to know for sure.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
But 119 for me is kewl huh?
Arlen is hot.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
How tall r u Los?

6 foot 4 inches why ?

But 119 for me is kewl huh?

It's above average so yeah, very good...

I find All members on here itelligent beyond their years, and fairly creative in some way.

Rep:
Level 88
Height=intelligence? Meh? (sorry just looking at the end of you post and doing some assuming nightwolf)

Intelligence, power and decision? Hmm, I disagree. Intelligence is power and decisions come from the result of our intelligence.

I disagree with the common theory that Intelligence is how much you know. That's why I don't think that IQ tests are any good half of the time.

Oh and nightwolf...i have no idea what you were saying towards the end. *confused me a little*

I also don't agree with the second part of Arrowone's message. The first part yes, second part no.

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
IQ Tests have a history of being flawed, and can't be used to gain an accurate measure of one's intelligence. Really, they're more of a general IDEA of your intelligence rating, you'd have to get other ways of testing to know for sure.
So, low IQ there Arrow...? :P

Online test are very inaccurate...

Edit: Nightwolf: 13 huh?

Rep:
Level 88
Hehe...

To add to my view and to give an opposing view.

I believe Intelligence is the ability to comprehend and understand and the speed in which we can do it, and how much we can comprehend and understand at one time.

Anyone disagree.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 96
Oh no, last one I took I scored higher than my parents. I just think they need to be re-worked pretty seriously.

I agree, but that's only half of it. The other is being able to apply this knowledge, and the ability to later retrieve it from memory.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
The one by Mensa is fairly simular to the link I gave... From what I recall...

But itelligence is meassured by different standards... You guys are right an IQ test does mean very little...

For example Dolphins are said to be intelligent but you don't see them doing online Net tests...

So your very correct, IQ tests are only a measure and an indercation of the workings of the Human mind... Lateral thinking rather than intelligence...

And on that note I am not sure on how to say some thing has intelligence, I guess part is being Self Aware, that would count for much in my opinion.

Rep:
Level 88
I think Arrowone's comment proves my point. His parent's could easily be more intelligent than him...no offence and I don't think you're dumb, it's just parents tend to be able to understand more and faster.

IQ tests don't measure intelligence, only general knowledge half the time, and it is very ethnocentric.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Height=intelligence? Meh? (sorry just looking at the end of you post and doing some assuming nightwolf)

Haha
Just saying, Los is so intelligent, i think his height his maximum measure of intelligence

Lol it was sorta joke, which is kinda popular

N E WAYS

Edit: Nightwolf: 13 huh?
Yes i am 13..

FFS IVE BEEN TRYING TO POST THRICE BUT GIVES THE SAME A MESSAGE WAS POSTED ERROR! STOP DAMNIT!
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
I think Arrowone's comment proves my point. His parent's could easily be more intelligent than him...no offence and I don't think you're dumb, it's just parents tend to be able to understand more and faster.

IQ tests don't measure intelligence, only general knowledge half the time, and it is very ethnocentric.

Yes. Obviously, they had more life-experience, etc. But I was better able to answer the wuestions by the test-taker so OMG I AM SMARTER. Certain crucial things are not properly tested.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Yes. Obviously, they had more life-experience, etc. But I was better able to answer the wuestions by the test-taker so OMG I AM SMARTER. Certain crucial things are not properly tested.

I think it's only naturel for children to be smarter then their parents. If they weren't, there would be something wrong...

So Nightwolf, wus up?

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Being Self aware is the starting Block to itelligence... A PC can do math, and spelling but is not self aware and there fore its not intelligent.

What I find amazing is Ants... They have such small heads and Brains but function so well... We can't make a Droid that small that does the same... Some things in life show an itelligence beyond understanding.  I doubt we will ever make any thing as near perfect as nature does.

I guess intelligence, like in your first post to your topic is the only real answer, there is no right or wrong answer... If your limiting the debate towards people (Humans) and the measure of intelligence, I guess we can only be as intelligent as our minds will let us, and based on that basis we all have the same potential as each other and should not be compared with the likes of IQ scores... as they only measure lateral thinking and problem / puzzle solving.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Once I scored 141 on an IQ test, another time 153. :o
I said "NOWAI!" I can't imagine myself as a nerdy guy or something like that. People who don't know me for long due to my behaviour often assume I would be the kind of persons who has Ds all over him in school. O_o

And life experience is much better than any IQ. What point does an IQ of 200 have if you are totally naive and get fooled by anybody?!
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I would be the kind of persons who has Ds all over him in school.
I would be all over you in school, why? :-*

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
OK, OK... I was wrong to bring up IQ tests... LOL   ;D

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
OK, OK... I was wrong to bring up IQ tests... LOL   ;D
I like your "Self Aware" Point. But are humans really THAT self aware? I say that they're still in more of a transition of relying on instinct compared to being a fully self aware beings.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
@LoS: Actually no, it's an interesting matter. IQ tests really are inaccurate. Just look at my score span. There was once another IQ test I took, it was before these two. I've only got 127 I think. That makes a span of 26. This is too much.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!