RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Variable Maze Making. (Using only a single maze map) V1.5

Rep:
Level 88
Hell... What did I mess up now... I'm Back!
Ok, I got bored and decided to make this tut. Tell me how you like it (This is my first tut! Second version of it.).

Spoiler for Purpose:
To make a maze, without wasting your map space ( :-\) and have it so you don't need to make a map for every area... It is sort of complicated, but it is worth it if you want a big maze and the maze looks the same on each map.

Spoiler for Added fun:
(this was something I just thought up of and is why i have 2 variables used in this demo) This maze is TOTALLY RANDOM! The maze will not be the same each time.

Spoiler for Requirements:
This requires some understanding of variables though if you follow the steps you should be fine. If, after reading this tut, you need even more help, you can download the game that is linked below (unavailable unless you want V1.0)

Spoiler for Basic facts:
The map is like an array, example: The first map = 0. Not 1 (can be changed if you want to. Wont be explained here)

Spoiler for Getting started:
Step 1: Make a map that shall be used as the maze... its fine at the default size of maps which is 20width and 15height
Here is mine:

Alright, We will get back to detailing the map later... First, we need to know what the maze is and how it works.
This maze is pretty basic... (In my terms, at least) and it basically just takes three variables and messes around with the numbers (also will talk about setting events for specific maps in V2.0, though it vaguely scrapes it in this version).

Spoiler for The variables:
- The first variable is the "Stay or Leave" variable: It basically makes it so if you mess up the maze, you start all over (this variable is not needed... I just prefer it).
- The second variable is the "Map count" variable: It controls the maze "area" so to speak, and makes it so you can reach the end of the maze!

OK. Now that we know the basic gist of how the maze works lets get on to the next step.

Spoiler for Step 2:
Step 2: Making the "Stay or leave" common event! In the database make an event, I named mine "Set Map Count".
This event will make it if you have a certain variable for the "S/L" variable it kicks you to the beginning and resets the map count and yes we want to set a custom handler for else, make sure it is ticked. Lets make it with a conditional branch of... "variable "stay/leave" is less than 0".
Now under the condition we want to make it so the map count variable is set to 0 (to reset the map) and turn off any directional switches. Then have it transfer the player outside the maze.
Now on else you will want it to have it add 1 to Map count. This event will also, when at the 4th map (Our last map) They can't go any higher than four floors.
Also after that. We want to trigger the "Pass" switch. (explained in next step)

Spoiler for Step 3:
The pass switch triggers this Common event, which tells you where to be transfered.

Step 3: make a common event that does all the work! (Explained below!)
make it look like so:

The image does 1: Turns off the "pass" switch so the event isn't called again after the transfer is completed.
2: Checks which directional passage you went through
3: Transfers you to the opposite passage
and 4: Turns off the directional switch (explained later) so that you don't get transfered incorrectly the following times you go through a passage.

alright, now to step 4!

Spoiler for Understanding the Directional Switches:
The Directional switches are turned on by which passage you go through. Corresponding from that it either gets turned off right away (by you having bad luck and getting transfered out) or it will tell the "passing" common event (the one that says "North tele") when it is triggered what passage you went through and sends you to the opposite side.

Spoiler for Step 4:
Now lets male the events for north, west, east and south.

Step 4: Making the North event. (In this tutorial the entrance is the north)
Here is the basic gist of how the event works. It makes stay/leave a random variable and for this demo we will make it -1 and 2, this means that there is a 25% chance that the player will be kicked from the map to the beginning. It will also turn on the "North" directional switch, and then call the stay/leave common event.

But we have a problem. This is the map we started from! Why should it take us to the south exit instead of outside? This is an easy fix. Simply make a condition. At the finish the event will look like this.

Here is south (Includes the actual exit to the map. (Which is the fourth map)):

and east and west are for you to make yourself...

Spoiler for Step 5:
Now then. They have cleared the map... In an earlier stage I had you make the the switch "compleated maze" turned on. This is what I will cover in the demo: Making it so you can go around the maze(i made the tut go like this cuz i am a lazy bum, this is so simple I don't even needa tell you...)

Step 5: Seeing as you have done the clear event... We need new events and switches to go with it.
On the entrance on the other side of the maze... make a event that transfers to the beginning of the other side of the map... (the spot where you originally go into the maze). This does not need a switch trigger but if you want it to have the trigger... (if they somehow... hack around the maze?) you can do so.
Looks like this:

Now do the same to the entrance map... but on a different page and it transfers player to the end... Triggered by the cleared maze switch
Like so:

Spoiler for Step 6:
alright. Now something to spice up the maze a bit. An Item box!

Step 6: Creating Item boxes on a certain level.
For this demo we will be making an item box at the 3rd "map".
It will require 3 pages and a switch. And you will be getting a Master Maze Stone. XD
Anyway, On the first page make it trigger "Variable "map count" is 3 or above". With image as a chest, and getting an item. Then turn Switch "Forest Chest" on.
The second page will have the "Forest Chest is on" as a trigger and it does nothing. With a image of an open chest.
The third page will have a trigger of "Variable "map count" is 4 or above". That makes the chest disappear on floor 4.
Like so:
First Page

Second Page

Third Page

And that is all I have for you in this tut!

Spoiler for Download Tut:
This tut download should be 100% independent from the RTP. Meaning Even if you don't have RPG maker XP official version you can still play it. (if you encounter any errors from it notify me ASAP. I tried my best to get all the stuff onto the files, also, there are things that are not necessary on the first game)

Here is the link to download the demo: http://www.feildmaster.com/Maze_Demo_NonRTP.zip
Here is the link to download the demo (without any extra stuff): http://www.feildmaster.com/Maze_Demo_RTP.zip
Both above demos are V1.0 and have a glitch on them.

The demo includes the "little bonus" talked about below as well as another feature...

Spoiler for Bonus:
Little bonus: Want it so you don't have to go around and change every variable set if you want more maps? Well there is an easy way to do this! Make a parallel process that makes a new variable equal how many maps you want set. Then change the upper left hand corner events conditional branch that is (4) in the demo to the variable, then change the variable underneath that = to the same variable. Then change the conditional branch on the exit (in this case the south exit) Map count = new variable.
So the events should look like this:
Leave/Stay Event:

South Exit Event:

Any comments/questions/suggestions? Post here or email admin@feildmaster.com

Spoiler for Side notes:
Just for fun, I added Blizzards tons of add ons.

Spoiler for Known glitches:
No known glitches!

Spoiler for Whats coming next!:
Wonder what is going to come in V2.0?
Well I will tell you!

Some features are:
- More than 1 map (Gives it some extra spice... instead of the same map every single time)
- In depth map events (give events to certain levels of the map)
- Other things... that don't come to mind right now...!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:43:40 AM by yuyu! »
----Current Games working on----
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Feildmaster Productions
Made By One Man Run by the Same...
Making Games for Everyone...
Oh yeah, and everything else web based
For a charge... Of course...

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Awesome tut! This is like the forest in Super Mario RPG...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
it's like the forest in Zelda: seasons on game boy..
i think.. ::)      anyways great tut !

Rep:
Level 88
Thanks for the praise guys.  :tpg: I realy didn't know if ya'll would like it. Anyway, I am going to work on V2.0 later... (because V1.0 realy needs a bug fix.)
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
Feildmaster Productions

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
pretty cool, i learned something today ^_^
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I Like this, and I mean alot.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you were to see me right now... You'd think I have a smile as big as my head. ;8 ;8 ;8

Thx for the praise guys! And version 2.0 (bug fixes and added bonuses) will come out on the weekend hopefully!
Feildmaster Productions

Rep:
Level 88
*Update* To version 1.5
Feildmaster Productions

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
Nice, but I'm not even going to try to understand it...  :o. If you were to make a demo I might try it out though, sounds cool :)...
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

Rep:
Level 87
ummm - there IS a demo.  Look at the spoiler called "Download Tut"
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
Oh it's in the tutorial? Well okay! ::)
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
mann its all buggin for me, could you re-upload the Demo again ?

Rep:
Level 88
I will re-load it in a little bit. =)
Feildmaster Productions