RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Forum making tut.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
So it seems most people now adays, including me, use free websites to host our forums such as Invision free, and a few more. I think its because most people don't know how to make a forum, what software you need, pretty much all the steps and tools. we can look at rmrk, and then look at most of the sites advertised here, and we laugh at how much better rmrk is. So I was wondering if someone can make a tut on:

• What tools you need
  • How to make it
  • How to host it yourself
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
What tools you need
Forum software, RMRK uses SMF ~

How to make it
Assuming you mean technical / layout stuff, knowledge on CSS, HTML and PHP. ~ Also of course knowledge / experience of server stuff for installing / working with the database etc, as well as configuring / tweaking stuff

How to host it yourself
$600 a year for RMRK =)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:03:13 PM by Silverline »
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Thanks a lot silverline!

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
SMF Forums Manual:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/

If you ever decide to install your own.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
trying to work around paying for the server...so Im going to use XAMPP

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
trying to work around paying for the server...so Im going to use XAMPP

Wrong attitude if you're serious =/.

If you're after cheap but good hosting, I have accounts with koreru and freepgs. Koreru is good but you pay monthly (I'm on the silver one, I host this on it), freepgs is kinda slower and you're not as free, but the prices are one off.

Of course, the best control comes from owning your own server 8) but that takes bigger bucks.
bringing sexy back

<3
Rep:
Level 90
There are some add-ons, sometime ago when I was looking for stuff for my previous forum I found a forum RPG thing. Although you had to pay, there was a version for free and its a great add-on.

http://infernotechnologies.net/

EDIT:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your forum system must be one of the following:

* Invision Power Board 2.1.x
    * Invision Power Board 2.2.x
    * vBulletin 3.0.x (Note the RPG was frozen at v2.4 for this version)
    * vBulletin 3.5.x
    * vBulletin 3.6.x
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Winged
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:21:42 AM by Winged »