RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Winged's Guide to common sense (UPDATE v2.0)

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Introduction:

This isn't really a tut, just a few bits of info I'm going to update every now and then to help game makers know exactly what people want. Most ideas I got from a bookstore which had this game book thats about 100 dollars (I know, a rip off) so I go there when I get the chance and read parts out of it. Here is what I've gotten in my head so far...

1) What is the secret to making a game everyone likes?

Spoiler for:
Theres a fact everyone has to face, nobody likes the same thing. So how to game makers make all these people like their game? Well from an interview with the guy who created the Pokemon GBA series (Leaf Green, Fire Red) he responded to the question:

What is your secret to make the game so good?

GWCTPS(read above): I get asked this question a lot, but my "secret" everyone asks for is to just make a game YOU, the game maker yourself would want to play. There is no point in making a game you would hate, the features, characters, stories, everything  I made, I liked. A lot of the time, game makers would ask players what they want, yea sure, that helps but the real thing that helps is what you would like from your gaming experience. Sure, some people wouldn't like your gaming taste but a lot of other people would like it as much as you do.

NOTE: I can only roughly remember what he said but the book took up about 2 pages in size -3 size so I didn't type it all up.

Conclusion:

So the bottom line is, make a game YOU would want to buy, not everyone is going to like it but a number of people who have the same taste as you would love it.

2) Ideas
Spoiler for:
Finding it hard to come up with a way to make your game unique? Your ideas have already been taken? Can't think of anymore? Well think about your life style and everyday life events, places and people. Many game makers use this as a way to get their imagination going and to get them started. Here's an example:

School (how can it be used in the game?)

Lets say the story is about a boy who leaves to war and pretends to be older than his age so he can join.

The school can be used as a place the opponent blows up, the hero's starting point, a characters meeting area (to exchange drugs, hehe), a place to hang out, home to the hero or friends, place for medical assistance, the place the hero learnt how to (insert skill), etc.

3) RTP
Spoiler for:
A lot of people have something against RTP, is it because they don't like the graphics? Is it because they think little work is being put into the project? Is it because for some random reason I haven't mentioned?

Well in my opinion, as long as it is a good game and has a mix of RTP and non-RTP  then most pleople are happy.

Example:

Chaos Project - NemesisĀ“ Wrath (By Blizzard)

This game has a lot of custom graphics, scripts and audio but Blizzard still uses a small amount of RTP. A lot of people like the game, but why don't they like some other games which use RTP?

In the end, it is your choice to use RTP or not, not anyone elses.

4) Cliches (hope its spelt right...)

Spoiler for:
We all know how story lines are very similar these days, we see all these projects with the same characters and story about someone taking over the world. How do you avoid these 'cliches?' Well its almost impossible, all games have cliches in the, one of the many is the hero uses a sword. Final Fantasy games are an example, a lot of the  main characters used a sword. And also there is one about the hero having no experience, a lot of games have that cliche as well.

However, this doesn't give you the right to use all of them, you game will end up boring and unoriginal, no one would want to play it! Use a few but not a lot, it should to common sense, but if everyone knew how to use theirs when why would this tut exist?

How to make people read your game topic

Spoiler for:
I'm not sure if this goes with everyone else, but I and a handful of members hate reading long stories and looking at plain text. You need:
-Pictures
This is a major bit of a game topic. Not just screen shots, but also  pictures of the characters, the setting and maybe even a logo.

Story Outline-
Not the full story, just the outline.
(NOT to be continued! [Dun dun dun])

Ending:

Thats all folks, I had no fun writing this but I thought I needed to somehow help out the rmrk community which I haven't really done.

~Winged
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:28:19 AM by Winged »

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
lawl

not big but good, it shows common sense that ppl dont understand...

8/10!
Arlen is hot.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I like it. It made me think about my game, and I laughed a few timess.  ;D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Thanks, this isn't really a tut but it will show game makers some common sense in game  making, I hope it stops people going "Wat U do 2 make ur game so Good?!"
I'm gonna go to the book store on Sunday so thats my next edit if I read the book....

~Winged

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
This looks promising. If you can improve this (I know, it's not finished yet) and finish it, I will move it into the database. :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:24:07 AM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

<3
Rep:
Level 90
This looks promising. When you can improve this (I know, it's not finished yet) and finish it, I will move it into the database. :)

Thanks, but I've got about 300 pages of tiny font reading to do, I better get there early...

~Winged

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Update v1.1 finished, I think the final version will be around  v2.5 - v3.0 but I can't tell the future, but comments a welcomed, but flamers stay outside please  :police:.

~Winged