RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Rimmin' Smithing System [BETA 1.097] - A Skyrim inspired Blacksmithing system

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
Script (System) Name: Rimmin' Smithing System
Name Shorthand: RSS
Author: Matt Sully (Gump)

Download:
Download BETA 1.097 (click)
Download BETA 1.09 (click)
Download BETA 1.08 (click)
Download BETA 1.07 (click)
Download BETA 1.06 (click)
Download BETA 1.05 (click)
Download BETA 1.04 (click)
Download BETA 1.03 (click)
Download BETA 1.02 (click)
Download BETA 1.01 (click)
Download BETA 1.00 (click)

Known Bugs for BETA 1.097:
None

Description: The RSS is a Blacksmithing system built from the ground up and inspired by Skyrim's blacksmithing system. Its easy and fun to use, but it does require a lot of setup. You'll be required to setup your Ores & Metals items, and your blacksmithing level tree (which is its own thing) and you'll also have to setup recipies for weapons and armors.

Modified Default Classes:
(none)

Legal Info: You can freely use this system in any free or commercial game. You must provide proper credit to the Author of this system (RSS). You may freely modify this script and release modifications. See The TERMS OF USE (included as documentation in the script section of the demo) for more details.

Instructions: In the future I'd like to write a guide (or perhaps do a video guide) showing how to use the system. In the meantime, you'll have to rely on the included documentation. There is a lot of included documentation with the system, its all found in the demos script section. The included documentation is enough to get you working with the RSS.

Screenshots(last updated BETA 1.07):
Spoiler for:

Older Beta 1.00 Screenshots:
Spoiler for:

BETA 1.097 UPDATE: Streamlined epic awesome super cool edition
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Equipment Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Weapon Type vocabulary. This data is now  loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Armor Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[NEW] * Expanded counter settings. Now 1 variable for each smithing category, ores, weapons, armors and other. Also 1 global variable.
[MOD] * Lowered default feedback window display time to 1 second.

Older Version Changelogs:
Spoiler for:
BETA 1.09 UPDATE: Smoking is bad for you edition
[FIX] * Fatal crash on smithing any items except ores. Bad copy/paste code done
in 1.08. This is what we call a 'gump'.
[NEW] * New feature to setup a counter. can assign to a game variable, and enable
or disable the counter for any type (ores, weapons, armors and items). Open the
settings and ctrl+f 'Settings for Smithing Counter' to access the settings.

BETA 1.08 UPDATE: New fixes for old problems Kitkat edition.
[FIX] * Feedback is now properly handled. An old issue with key assignment has
been resolved. The Feedback hash can now retain a potentially infinite amount
of pending messages.
[NEW] * 2 new settings related to feedback. Forced feedback specifically. The
first setting enables the option. The second setting is the buffer, which is the
amount of feedback messages that must be waiting to display in order to trigger
forced feedback. This optional feature basically prevents the player from
inflating the amount of pending feedback messages into a massive size.
[MOD] New music for the demo. What? That counts as something.

BETA 1.07 UPDATE: A lucky number. If you believe in that crap.
[NEW] * Exp Progress Bar with a bunch of settings to accomodate it. These are
found in the Status Window settings area of the System Settings script.
[NEW] * Setting to enable or disable the drawing of the total exp value in the
status window
[NEW] Window_Base now has 8 new methods added to it with this script. Nothing
is overwritten or aliased. This new code can be found at the bottom of the
'[RSS]Datamanager/Coremods' script. Included is methods for custom line draws
and methods for gauge logic.
[MOD] * The included COLOR_BASE script has been updated with some new definitions
and it is highly recommended you include it among the scripts you update for your
install to your game.
[MOD] * The '[RSS]DM/S/Party/Title/Load' script is now renamed more properly to
'[RSS]Datamanager/Coremods'.

BETA 1.06 UPDATE: The breeze before the progress bars
[NEW] * Sound settings for smithing items. 1 sound per available category. Pitch and volume settings available. A toggle setting enables or disables the sounds. With added sounds disabled, smithing will instead use your equip item sound.
[FIX] * Massive spelling fixes system-wide for 'recipe' being spelled horribly. Some settings & script commands were impacted by the spelling changes. New settings & script commands have been put in with the old mistakes to keep compatibility (they just forward the data to the proper method).

BETA 1.05 UPDATE: Getting ready for the overhaul!
[FIX] * If 'Show_Unknown_Item_Names' is set to false, icons for unknown items wont
draw on the screen.
[FIX] * Icons were sometimes broken due to bad case statements. Fixed.
[FIX] * Type select window now has a correct default size.
[FIX] * The Smithing Scene now properly backs out to the type select window if the
player cancels browsing the 'other' items category.
[NEW] * Cancel/Back options wont be drawn in item select windows if there are no
items available for the player to select.
[NEW] * New setting: Hide_Unknown_Recipies which will forcibly hide recipies from
being drawn to the item select window if the player doesn't know them. Note that
this makes other unknown recipies related options useless.
[MOD] * The item details window has been modified and resized to make more free
room available on the screen for other things... ;)
[MOD] Blacksmith stats window and item details windows are now both respectively
transparent by default.

BETA 1.04 UPDATE: Long time no see! I'm here with an update and looking for more suggestions.
- New category (by suggestion) for Miscellaneous Items. This category is optional and is enabled by default with a setting allowing you to enable or disable it.
- The new category also comes with a new command to add items to its separate recipe list. This new category was tricky as the system was not originally intended for it, but its working great now.
- Full documentation is included within the demo in the scripts section. All documentation has been updated to properly convey the change with the addition of a new category.
- Download is at the top of the main post as usual. I don't think the included screenshots do things much justice anymore, so I'll be bundling a few with the next version. Ramble, ramble ramble ramble.

BETA 1.03 UPDATE: Finally aliased the last methods in DataManager which was overwritten. Now the included DataManager is fully aliased, increasing compatibility with other scripts. The RSS will now also work with my quest system, (QSB).
Lots of updates in BETA 1.03. Open the spoiler below to see the rest.
Spoiler for:
BETA 1.03 Full Version Changelog:

- Finally figured out a way to alias the last overwritten DataManager
module method(self.make_save_contents)! The RSS DataManager must now always be
installed along with every RSS system in every game.
- Added feature suggestion: Changed Item Select Window so that it dims selectable
items name and icon if the player does not have the required items to make that
recipie. The window already functioned in this way when handling Ore selection,
it now functions this way when handling any item types.
- Added Question 7 & 8 to the DOC_FAQ.
- Updated DOC_INFO
- Added handling for gaining multiple levels if the player gains a huge amount
of Smithing Exp.
- Modified how the Item Select Window's height is calculated, and removed one of
the two 'height multipler' settings for the window as a result (made stuff work
easier).
- Modified System Setting: Windows: Smithing Item Info Window: 'IIWIN_TXTARRAY'
to be more user friendly with its setup.
- Changed all aliases to be more compatible with other games and scripts.
NEW SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] Game_Party
MODIFIED SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
  [RSS] System Settings
  [RSS] Module Methods
  [RSS] Smithing Windows
- After adding/modifying all of that, I did some spring cleaning, combining
a few scripts into singles, to ease the install process of RSS a little.
SPRING CLEANING:
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]DM/S/Party/Title/Load
      Family: [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
              [RSS] Smithing Data
              [RSS] Game_Party
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]Smithing Scene/Windows
      Family: [RSS] Smithing Scene
              [RSS] Smithing Windows
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS] Level Tree / ORES
      Family: [RSS] Level/Exp Tree
              [RSS] Ores & Metals
--------------------

BETA 1.02 UPDATE: Item Icons yay! (Added item Icons and settings). Added hide item name if unknown setting.
BETA 1.01 UPDATE: Removed Maximum Level setting from the level tree & added handling to read the last level as the max level instead. Added control settings for the smithing scene background.

Future Version notes (things being worked on):
Optional Things (can be enabled or disabled):
- This post and everything about it(click) (before progress bars)
- Optional progress bars with multiple ways to set time ranges from per item to item type or class or variable values
- Optional percent based chance to smith or fail smithing an item also with multiple ways of influencing the value
- Modification of confirm dialogue to be less intrusive
Mandatory Things (essential/core):
- Notetag support

This is my first post at RMRK and I would like to say nice forum and I'm glad to finally be a part of this place. If you have any suggestions for this system or this posts layout please do share them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:58:32 PM by Gump »
Did something I do help you? Please hit that rep button! Thanks!

I stream sometimes over on twitch, come check me out at my twitch channel. Often you'll find me streaming while I work on projects, unless its classified!

Known as "Mattdk" on rpgmaker.net
Site: GumpScripts (wordpress blog)
Spoiler for Released VX ACE Scripts:
I was once called dkall...

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
[FIX] * If 'Show_Unknown_Item_Names' is set to false, icons for unknown items wont
draw on the screen.
[FIX] * The Smithing Scene now properly backs out to the type select window if the
[NEW] * Cancel/Back options wont be drawn in item select windows if there are no
[NEW] * New setting: Hide_Unknown_Recipies which will forcibly hide recipies from
being drawn to the item select window if the player doesn't know them. Note that
[MOD] Blacksmith stats window and item details windows are now both respectively
transparent by default.

- Optional progress bars with multiple ways to set time ranges from per item to item type or class or variable values
- Optional percent based chance to smith or fail smithing an item also with multiple ways of influencing the value
- Optional percent based progress bar for exp in blacksmith status window
- modification of confirm dialogue to be less intrusive
- Notetag support
- Attempt to fix over time all the mis-spellings of "Recipe" at least outside of the code (too many "recipies" in the code now...)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:02:13 AM by Gump »

I stream sometimes over on twitch, come check me out at my twitch channel. Often you'll find me streaming while I work on projects, unless its classified!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
This sounds great. Thank you!

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
Thanks MA that means a lot coming from you ;D

New version notes:

status window
[MOD] * The included COLOR_BASE script has been updated with some new definitions
and it is highly recommended you include it among the scripts you update for your
install to your game.

[NEW] * Sound settings for smithing items. 1 sound per available category. Pitch and volume settings available. A toggle setting enables or disables the sounds. With added sounds disabled, smithing will instead use your equip item sound.
[FIX] * Massive spelling fixes system-wide for 'recipe' being spelled horribly. Some settings & script commands were impacted by the spelling changes. New settings & script commands have been put in with the old mistakes to keep compatibility (they just forward the data to the proper method).

- Notetag support
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:38:10 PM by Gump »

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Tried out the demo, and I like it too. Simple yet powerful enough to use as a main feature in a game. The only "downside" is that I'm an RMXP designer, and this isn't for RMXP    =p

I assume you can do quite a bit to it, with modifications, such as adding your own materials, tree requirements, recipes, etc, which means that within reason, you could use this system for so much more than just blacksmithing too. If you've ever played Diablo2, I think of this system as a sort of system similar to the horadric cube and the recipes you can do with that...
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
Tried out the demo, and I like it too. Simple yet powerful enough to use as a main feature in a game. The only "downside" is that I'm an RMXP designer, and this isn't for RMXP    =p

I assume you can do quite a bit to it, with modifications, such as adding your own materials, tree requirements, recipes, etc, which means that within reason, you could use this system for so much more than just blacksmithing too. If you've ever played Diablo2, I think of this system as a sort of system similar to the horadric cube and the recipes you can do with that...

Hey, thanks!

You know, with a few small modifications this system could easily have an XP port. However, I don't legally own a copy of XP so I am unable to provide ports for it. :( There are only a few things in the script that are vx ace specific, mainly some default position/size settings using Graphics.width and Graphics.height in calculation, and the modification process of the Datamanager and core scripts (game_party, scene_title, scene_load, window_base).

Edit: New version!

of pending messages.
first setting enables the option. The second setting is the buffer, which is the
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:56:14 PM by Gump »

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Unfortunately I'm not a scripter, otherwise I would just port it myself, as I assume it wouldn't be too hard, based on what you said.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
Unfortunately I'm not a scripter, otherwise I would just port it myself, as I assume it wouldn't be too hard, based on what you said.

Yup it really wouldn't be. I just don't own a copy of XP. How active is XP development these days anyway?

[NEW] * New feature to setup a counter. can assign to a game variable, and enable

Spoiler for:
of pending messages.

status window
install to your game.

draw on the screen.
transparent by default.

BETA 1.04 UPDATE: Long time no see! I'm here with an update and looking for more suggestions.
- New category (by suggestion) for Miscellaneous Items. This category is optional and is enabled by default with a setting allowing you to enable or disable it.
- The new category also comes with a new command to add items to its separate recipe list. This new category was tricky as the system was not originally intended for it, but its working great now.
- Full documentation is included within the demo in the scripts section. All documentation has been updated to properly convey the change with the addition of a new category.
- Download is at the top of the main post as usual. I don't think the included screenshots do things much justice anymore, so I'll be bundling a few with the next version. Ramble, ramble ramble ramble.

BETA 1.03 UPDATE: Finally aliased the last methods in DataManager which was overwritten. Now the included DataManager is fully aliased, increasing compatibility with other scripts. The RSS will now also work with my quest system, (QSB).
Spoiler for:

- Added feature suggestion: Changed Item Select Window so that it dims selectable
- Updated DOC_INFO
of Smithing Exp.
- Modified how the Item Select Window's height is calculated, and removed one of
easier).
NEW SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] Game_Party
MODIFIED SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] System Settings
  [RSS] Module Methods
  [RSS] Smithing Windows
SPRING CLEANING:
--------------------
              [RSS] Smithing Data
              [RSS] Game_Party
--------------------
              [RSS] Smithing Windows
--------------------
              [RSS] Ores & Metals
--------------------

BETA 1.02 UPDATE: Item Icons yay! (Added item Icons and settings). Added hide item name if unknown setting.
BETA 1.01 UPDATE: Removed Maximum Level setting from the level tree & added handling to read the last level as the max level instead. Added control settings for the smithing scene background.

- Notetag support

Rep:
Level 40
Scripter
BETA 1.097 UPDATE: Streamlined epic awesome super cool edition
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Equipment Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Weapon Type vocabulary. This data is now  loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Armor Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[NEW] * Expanded counter settings. Now 1 variable for each smithing category, ores, weapons, armors and other. Also 1 global variable.
[MOD] * Lowered default feedback window display time to 1 second.

Spoiler for:

of pending messages.

status window
install to your game.

draw on the screen.
transparent by default.

Spoiler for:

- Updated DOC_INFO
of Smithing Exp.
easier).
NEW SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] Game_Party
MODIFIED SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] System Settings
  [RSS] Module Methods
  [RSS] Smithing Windows
SPRING CLEANING:
--------------------
              [RSS] Smithing Data
              [RSS] Game_Party
--------------------
              [RSS] Smithing Windows
--------------------
              [RSS] Ores & Metals
--------------------

- Notetag support