RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Multiple Skill-Types Per Skill

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK Junior
[post removed by author]

script removed from index, as requested by author.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:18:59 AM by Pacman »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
What happens if an item is supposed to seal a skill type, like magic, but you have a skill whose database skill type is Special Skill but is setup as Magic through your script? Currently, your script would allow the actor to be able to use it from either the Special Skill list or the Magic list even though Magic is sealed. Conversely, in the same situation where Special Skill is sealed, you would not be able to use it from either the Special Skill List or the Magic List. Is that what you want? It seems like an odd design choice.

Aside from that, the script seems fine. I have two compatibility concerns though. Firstly, I would suggest that when aliasing a method, you should account for the possibility that another script will change the arguments expected in your method. Secondly, even though you alias, I would be a little concerned since you automatically return true if your condition is met, and if this happens then the original method will never run. That essentially means that any script above yours in script order will not have its conditions run if your condition is met. Ie. if I were to write a script where I didn't want to include a skill in the list if, for instance, it was unusable, then if my script was above yours, it wouldn't operate in any of the skill lists for the types that are added through your script.

Additionally, you don't account for the possibility that nil will be passed to the include? method. That said, it likely wouldn't be, but since that is accomodated for in the original method, I would be cautious about overriding that protection.

Also, why did you choose to use a module? You aren't mixing it in anywhere, and it doesn't seem to be for namespace or for organizational purposes.

All in all though, not a bad job.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:09:41 AM by modern algebra »