RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Rootbound

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best Artist2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Unsung Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion

Mike,I need you to keep an eye on my condo for a while.
I just got a call, mom is in the hospital. I need to take care of her
farm and my little sister until she recovers, I'm not sure how long...
Sorry about all this,
Theresa

Story
Spoiler for:
You take on the role of Theresa, a self-made businesswoman living the urban dream. She has a condo downtown, a successful business and a lively social life. All of that has to be put on hold, however, when her mother falls ill and someone must step up to take care of the family farm. Despite never wishing to return to her childhood home, she is the only person who can keep the farm going until the matriarch can return. Adding to the family's troubles, is the tension between her and her young sister, Isabelle.

Theresa must try to keep the farm's finances afloat while seeing to all the daily troubles that a small family farm can throw at her. As if that weren't difficult enough, she must also once again become a part of her hometown community and rekindle old friendships if she is to succeed.

Screenshots
Not much here yet...we'll see more soon!

Crops

Animals

Features
Spoiler for:
Most of these are still in development.
  • 16 crops to plant, including large scale crops such as corn and wheat
  • Cooking system to put those farm fresh ingredients to use
  • Raise Cows, Chickens, Sheep and Pigs
  • Complex personal interactions that truly affect gameplay
  • Equip five utensils to have everything you need right at hand
  • Seasons, weather and festivals galore!

Help Wanted!
Spoiler for:
I cannot complete this on my own. I need a talented scripter to come on board to implement the backbone for a farming system. I initially had this done in events, and while it was nearly there, I would not want to have a whole game hinge on a buggy and unstable event system.
System features I'm hoping for:
  • Variables to track per tillable square: tilled or not, water lvl, fertilizer, crop ID planted, days growth
  • Growth requires that water lvls must be at least a certain amount, varies between crop types, also growing out of season drops crop quality or kills crop, fertilizer increases crop quality
  • Stages of growth (ie. seeds, sprouts, seedlings, grown, harvest-able)
  • Water lvl tracking, with rain, watering can of events (irrigation) adding to water lvl. Lvl decreases over time, with different seasons and weather conditions affecting how fast the level drops
  • Too many days below a certain water level, the plant dies, each crop has a different amount of time it can go without adequate water
  • Amount of items harvested per planting varies by quality

I'd like as few windows and menus as possible..this goes on in the background, and the player just has to use their eyes and common sense to glean this info. Crop maintenance (fertilizer, watering, harvesting) is done by hotkeys.

I would also need an animal maintenance script likely in the future, but that would be something farther down the line and more up to brainstorming.

If you'd like to join the project and have the skills to do this, please contact me.

Edit:
I have created a document listing all of the features I am looking for, it is still WIP, but the crops at least are down.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WN8HZ6IfRILEOAGGMd56ndAaPh8DMC9yNz

I cannot stress enough that I truly need a teammate on this one. This will require me working closely with someone.

Spoiler for:
Gameplay elements: Work in Progress
1.   Basic Environment
Time:
   I have a time script now, but I would like to have one that only does what I need and includes all I need without me having to event modifications.
   Ultimately, I need to keep track of minutes, hours, days, day of the week and season. These need to be in independent variables so that I can event time specific events (Ie, a television program only showing Tuesdays) easily.
Weather: Weather types dependent upon season, but also that can be hijacked for story events. Seasons have probabilities of weather types. This is a little tricky, as the system would need to set the weather types seven days in advance and store the type in an accessible variable, so that I can have a weather forecast on the TV. Likely weather types: Sunny, cloudy, rain, storm, heat wave, snow, blizzard.
Hud: I have an evented HUD, but of course, scripted would be less likely to break. This is shown in the screenshot on the project post.
   To the left, it shows time (in 15 minute increments, but doesn't have to be), with a.m. p.m., an icon for weather, season icon, day of the week, day and an icon that toggles on when the player has a new notification(just check a switch). I have images for all of the text.
   To the right, there is a display for on-hand items and which is equipped. I am using MA's limited inventory, and actually could use a mod to it to set items in the inventory to the hotkeys. When items are hotkeyed, show their icon ID in appropriate slot. When an item is equipped (hotkey has been pressed to equip it) the selection square is in that position.

2.   Crops
   Crops will be the bulk of scripting. I have a mostly working event system for this, but it's bulkiness and sheer character count would make implementing it for all of the field squares and crops would be a monstrous chore. It is going to need to be scripted to manage the assorted variables and whatnot, and I just lack those skills.

Crops will be affected by several variables. Each crop will also have varying requirements for growth. Ultimately, variables will be checked daily, and each day that a variable is not within optimal range for the crop, quality points are deducted from the crop. Upon harvest, quality points dictate the quantity of items harvested.
   Variables:
•   Water level:  Values 0-8, Start at 0 beginning of game. Set variable at 8 when watering can is used, weather type is "rain" or "storm" or a switch is on (for laborer watering for you, irrigation system on, ect). Level decreases daily, with weather and season affecting how much (-1 in spring, -2 in summer, additional -1 in "heat wave" weather).
•   Soil Nutrients: Values 0-6, Start at 3 at beginning of game. Increased by using item fertilizer on field tile (+3) or by certain crops (peanuts: +4 at harvest). Decreased by crops upon harvesting, in varying lvls (ie. -4 for corn, -2 for strawberries). Before harvest, check nutrient level, if 0-1, subtract from crop quality, if 2-4, no change to quality, if 5-6, add to quality.
•   Climate: Checks for appropriate season, if season active is incompatible, subtracts from crop quality.
   Crop Planting, Growth and Harvest
•   Check item ID equipped
•   Check tilled
•   Check tile character is facing, type and location (perhaps events?)
•   Set up crop tile: crop type, days planted variable, quality variable
•   Each game day start, check variables (water, nutrients, season)
•   Modify quality based on variables
•   +1 to days planted
•   Check quality, if =0, crop dies, switch to dead stalks
2.1.   General field crops
One large, walk-able field, the basic harvest moon style field. Till with hoe, plant seeds, water/fertilize.  Place for most vegetables, root crops and berries. Currently: Peanut, carrot, turnip, potato, onion, tomato, bell pepper, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberry. Potential: Summer squash, pumpkin, watermelon
2.2.   Large scale crops
A larger, inaccessible by overhead walking, field. Accessed by event, so all event-driven in care, access tractor to plant, fertilize and harvest, access irrigator to water. Three large units of field. Crops thus far: Sweet corn, field corn, spring wheat, winter wheat.
2.3.   Vine crops
Along the fencerow and on wooden lattices, for specific vine crops. Same as general field, just different set of events and complementary crops. Current crops: Cucumbers, beans, kiwis, vine tomatoes.
2.4.   Raised beds
Specialized units, long term or permanent crops. One for herbs, multiple harvests once planted. After harvest, plant's days are subtracted to set the plant back before harvest. Long term crops, such as asparagus would use beds, but his is a feature to be worked on later, not vital.
2.5.   Trees
Special tiles for tree plantings. Once fully grown, will not die, has to be removed by event. Same general growth and quality levels as general crops, but with harvest schedule like herbs.

3.   Livestock
   Here is the next large part of the game mechanics. I have not done as much though on the real mechanics of how to do it in-game, but I'll list here what I would like to be able to do.
   I'd imagine this will be largely event based, and I'm okay with handling such a thing, just seeing if there is a script element to this that might streamline it.
   Generally, buy or breed the animal, and assign to it an ID and certain variables. There will be a max number of hoofstock and poultry, so that variables don't get outta' control.
3.1.   Chickens
3.2.   Cows
3.3.   Sheep
3.4.   Pigs
4.   Economy
4.1.   Market fluctuations
5.   Buildings/areas/add-ons
5.1.   Outdoor Areas
5.2.   Home
5.3.   Barn
5.4.   Machine Shed
6.   Social
6.1.   z
7.   Cooking

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:24:52 AM by joy »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Wow, now this looks excellent.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
This looks really amazing Joy. Adding a new breath of life to a game genre that's been milked to no end is incredibly refreshing!

Best of luck!

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Joy, this looks incredible, well the one screen does :)

Rep:
Level 85
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best Artist2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Unsung Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
Added a little image for the crops I have thus far and some of their properties. So, have I missed someone's favorite food? Keep in mind, there will be fruit trees and vines as well, so don't feel limited by field crops.

Edit:
Also added the livestock..there are other utility animals planned, with actual functionality, such as barn cats and herding dogs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:20:01 PM by joy »

Rep:
Level 85
Doublepost!

I have started a document with my scripting requirements and just general features. I do really need a teammate to join up so that we can work closely and get this done efficiently and make a really great game. Please please please PM me if you think you could achieve this and would be willing to help me out!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WN8HZ6IfRILEOAGGMd56ndAaPh8DMC9yNz

This is also in the help-wanted section.

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
The document can't be opened, or at least for me it wont open.

As for the scripting required to make a whole farming system, I will tell you from experience making them what to expect and information to make available to scripters who may want to help you.

I would PM you this, but it might help people who would like to help you but don't know exactly how much you are trying to do.

First, complexity equals less crops in game at the same time, yes having a lot of properties attached to a crop sounds nice in theory, but in game having to update each crop constantly with so many properties will cripple the game.

Second, the best way to make crops I've come across so far (After making about 8 of them) is to create "Virtual" crops which are events created in the game as a result of the players actions (Such as tilling the earth) that are stripped of nearly all unnecessary updates such as movement or animations.

These events can usually exist up to the hundreds in the game without lag if they are not constantly updated and you decide to use the old harvest moon method of updating the farm at the end of the day.

Crops that update constantly are the most troublesome as having to update many counters such as water level and real time growth will limit the game greatly in terms of how many crops can be update at the same time without causing lag.

Another thing I would mention would be the graphics, but it seems you already have that covered as you can make your own graphics.

Scripting wise though, it would not be a very hard system to do. It just really depends on how big or complex you want to make it.

Rep:
Level 85
Bloody hell, thanks for alerting me, TDS. I just pasted the text in the last spoiler up top.
I am 100% onboard that variables should only update at the end of the day and when specific items are used (fertilizer, watering can). The only properties on each crop are days growth, water level and soil nutrients, which all affect the quality variable of the crop. The script would then check the quality to determine how many units are harvested from the plant.

I was also thinking events under control by the script.

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
I see, at the end of the day is substantially easier to do.

Do you have any idea as to how you want to manage the crop graphics? If you do I could work on a base for you and you can tell me if you like it or not and we can continue working from there.

Rep:
Level 85
I'll send you a PM.

Edit:
Speaking of graphics:

Way wip..but..its a freaking tractor~ woo~
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:13:23 AM by joy »

Rep:
Level 85
Bit more to show today, working with the amazing TDS to get the crop back-end together. Once that is done the project can really take off.

Got a few graphical WIPs, first a test image to show various options with raised beds:

And here is the WIP calendar style, not in-game yet, just a photoshop mockup:
Spoiler for:

Move cursor over date, if something special is occurring, it will show the info on the lower lined area.

Wanna pick some brains first:
1: 28 days per season..too long, too short or just right?
2: How much do you appreciate festivals and events in farming games? About how many per season would you find ideal? Are there any sorts of celebrations/events you'd like to see?

Rep:
Level 85
1. dependant on really the growth times of the crops, ideally you should be able to get at least 1-2 planting sessions done
2. for festivals, when i rember aboutthem, there quite fun, id recomend some livestock contests, maybe some crop contests, perhaps some season specific festivals (harvest, winter, spring, idk summer fireworks XD)

i could think up more if pressed

also good work on the screens, there so pretty >.< want want want
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:15:50 PM by IAMFORTE »

Rep:
Level 85
I'll be setting up the crops according to the season length, scaling actual harvest times to fit the season, so in spring, you can get three harvests of radishes in, but only one carrot.

And minigames should abound. Fishing contests, dancing contests, cooking contests..also social rewards like providing the pumpkins for halloween or the watermelons for the summer festival. Also..seed spitting target games!

Rep:
Level 85
Update!

I have gotten back to working on this since I'm done with university for a while. Nailing down the important bits like crop details, tools, livestock stats, NPCs, festivals and generally all those little details that make up a farm game. Here's just a few things that I've gotten together:

The crop list has massively expanded! There are now 29 field crops and 17 orchard crops!

All main story points have been plotted out, including some very interesting twists that examine the trials and values of family. Most importantly the story examines the relationship between a mother and daughter, the value of second chances and the difficulties in doing the right thing.

Minigames/secondary production has been expanded! Spend time between planting and harvesting doing all sorts of money making hobbies, including fishing, cooking, canning, cheesemaking, beekeeping and brewing!

There's more, but I can't give you everything just yet.

Also! I cannot stress how much I need a scripter as a full project member. TDS has started the crop field script, but there's still several things to be done and/or cleaned up in other areas. I cannot pay, as this is intended as a free game, but I really do feel this is a game that will be very enjoyable, a grownup's harvest moon.

Rep:
Level 85
Just a post to say I have not given up on this project, I'm just a bit limited on what I can do until I get a scripter on board and know from working with them what is actually feasible. I desperately need a scripter willing to give me a hand and make this more than some buggy, generic mess.

Some eye candy:

Not the bees!!!

Rep:
Level 85
Great to see you're still working on this joy!

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Eremidian Town Guard. Out for girl with glasses
I love the mechanics of the game. Farming and stuffs. Haven't seen one like this before.
Also, neat interface and graphics. I like it. :D

Knowing you're on this project for a long time (2 years, wow), you've done a lot of progress I can see. Great work! Hope you can finish it soon so I can try it out. :D
Developer of:

Rep:
Level 85
More images! Gonna keep thrusting out eye candy til I can snag a teammate! I am dead passionate about finishing this. I just don't have the skill to handle the programing side. Let me put a shiny, colorful coating on your code!!

Mockup of how I'd like the rucksack gui to look.

The multiple plot types! Regular field, raised beds, vineyard and orchard!

Rep:
Level 85
Treeeeeeees~

Working on getting all of the tree alts squared away for the orchard. Still need to do all of the fruiting versions and several of the flowering versions.. Do any look woefully out of place? I am also probably gonna be shortening the larger nut trees.

The signs show which tree is which, but here's a text list as well:

Chestnut, Hazelnut, Walnut, Pecan

Peach, Pawpaw, Persimmon, Pomegranate

Lemon, Lime, Plum, Cherry

Apple, Pear, Orange, Grapefruit

Rep:
Level 85
I had a bit of an epiphany while talking about farm games with my mother in law, and I'm considering re-working the way crop interactions work and the pacing/control of the overall game.

I'm considering adding a menu based management system for most farm systems for those who want a more casual approach to the game without having to play through every game action of planting/watering/fertilizing/harvesting. I think I will still have the option to do them individually through map event actions, but if you as a player would rather speed through them, you would be able to set a task on the farm management screen and then the game will process the commands and advance game time an appropriate amount to account for the work done.

Time will be the chief game resource, so management of such will be a big deal. This will mean adding helpers to the farm becomes a massive part of being really successful on the farm and being able to take part in the other undertakings in town and some of the bonus feature around the farm. However, the best helpers will need to be unlocked by actually integrating into the community, so the player will have to balance between farming to make money or socializing to gain opportunities. Once helpers are added to the farm, the player will manage their task through the same farm menu, ordering them to water, tend, harvest or process leaving the player free to use that time for other tasks.

If this is the path I end up taking, the game's setting is going to be more incorporated into the modern way of life, with the player character using her tablet for farm management and other endeavors, including selling processed goods over the internet, maintaining a food or crafts blog as an outlet for success in ancillary farm tasks like cooking and crafting. This will offer benefits in an increase in web sales, book deals and bringing new citizens and shops to the town, ect. Unlock and post 25 hidden cooking recipes on your "blog"? You'll get a book deal, prestige, and a nice monetary reward

The overall goal as the game progresses will move away from tending individual crops in the beginning to eke out just enough money to pay bills, to over time becoming a business and community figure managing employees and endeavors. Hopefully this will minimize the sameness that many more traditional farming sims tend to fall into once you have more money that your character would ever need and you're still going through the same motions as the first game day.

Thoughts?

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I love it! :gracie: That's definitely a nice twist to a farming sim - especially considering how it's actually modern and realistic. Indeed it will take people away from that same cliche, and create quite an exciting enterprise.

It's really awesome to see you coming back to this project! ;____;
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
"Thoughts"

My thought is that it's nice to see your still alive.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 85
Hahaha, yeah, still alive, just getting done with Grad school research, job hunting and buying a home..so a bit busy. :p

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Congrats, Joy!! :-) Grad school (and buying a home) is a huge accomplishment!
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]