RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Lion Slayer

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
Lion Slayer

Story

The world is in the gravest danger. After the creation of a worldwide 'lion' law, the feline race rebelled against their masters cruel rule, taking over towns, cities and villages. Now all that stands between them and control of the world are the Lion slayers; a group of elite soldiers, who specialize in the destruction of lions.

Lionslayers, you are our only hope...

Summary

Welcome to the game of lionslayer; an arcade game made using the game making engine RPG Maker 2003.

What do you do? Why it's simple! You kill invading lions! You travel over the world, fighting lions and all sorts of their fellow evil. Armed with nothing more then a few simple weapons, can you stem the horrible lion invasion?

Current Features

-Intro and level one map.
-Ten enemy lions, all with separate respawn systems.
-Potions randomly drop in the map.
-Custom menu system
-Bow and arrows

-Planned Features-

-New and improved level one map
-Much better Custom menu system
-improved drop system
-less lions must be killed to end the level one map.

All

-Many, many levels, in many different terrains.
-Cats, tigers, and many other feline enemies
-Bosses, many hopefully wielding ranged weapons.
-A flame thrower (torches one enemy at random)
-A sword, melee weapon, deals more damage then a bow or a punch.
-A pistol. Deals less damage then a bow, but flies further and faster/

Characters

Lion Slayer

A young man of twenty, Lion Slayer was forced to flee his job as a lion tamer when the lions rebelled. He trained to become a lion slayer, and now travels the world in the hope of finally defeating the lions.

Screenshots

Lion Slayer realized the importance of the first rule of lion slayer; never get trapped between two lions with no way to escape.
Spoiler for:

Lion Slayer hides in his little hideaway from the lions outside.
Spoiler for:

Demo

Demo 1.2

-Controls-

Arrow keys: Move hero
Enter/space: open chests, talk to NPCs, etc. The action keys. Press one of them when facing a lion to punch it.
Shift: Fire ranged weapon, or strike with a sword.
1/2/3: Activate special attack (flamethrower).
Escape: open main menu.

-Hints-

Do not go from the items screen to the equip screen. you will be stuck there.
The level ends when you kill 75 lions. I'm told that this is a extremely tough goal.

Current Glitches

Sometimes, usually when moving, the arrow will start moving in the wrong direction for a few spaces. at other times, it will move extremely slowly. As of yet, i have no working solution for this.

For some reason, several lions have more HP then others. Still working on finding out why.

If you go straight from the items screen to the equipment screen, you will be stuck there. the only solution is to quit the game.

Do not rapidly move up and down the menu a lot, this can sometimes mess up the programming, causing you to skip options, or mess up which selection gives which result.

-Credits-

I owe extensive credits for the programming to Emzee and bonesiii.I learned almost all I know of the CMS and in game ranged weapons from studying the event systems in the games of these two people.

the charsets titled Elves are from a RPGM2K game, and I only used them for the arrows. All credits go to the maker of the Lord of the Rings game made with RPGM2k.I'll get a link or a name as soon as I can find the game in question.

Any other weird charsets you find are things that got in by accident, and will be removed the the demo 1.02.

The credits for everything else go the RPG Maker 2000, 2003, and RPG Maker XP as well.

-Zar-
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:41:35 PM by modern algebra »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Your second screenshot's dead.
And telling from only the first one, I probably wouldn't want to play this game despite the interesting story.
People love graphical tipoffs: if you post screenshots, post your very best maps and features. That screenshot is a pretty boring map with not much going on. Give us more to look at.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
First screenshot is really empty, which is a huge turnoff despite the interesting plot.
(I won't be playing it though only because I don't have an OS that can play RM2k3)
Sounds interesting though.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Yeah, it'd be nice to give a screenshot that showed... something. And can you explain what this 'lion law' is? Because from my perspective it sounds like a law that gives lions the right to go out and kill some people.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Ummm...
A law that either takes rights away from or ensures the death of lions.
When I woke up this morning, I did not picture typing that as an event of my day.

RMRK Junior
Your second screenshot's dead.
And telling from only the first one, I probably wouldn't want to play this game despite the interesting story.
People love graphical tipoffs: if you post screenshots, post your very best maps and features. That screenshot is a pretty boring map with not much going on. Give us more to look at.

:|

Could have sworn I uploaded them both.

And as of the maps.

1) I'm using the default world map, at least for the level one map.
2) Mapping isn't my greatest skill, frankly.
3) It's an arcade game, and I was focusing on the event systems more then the graphics.

Ummm...
A law that either takes rights away from or ensures the death of lions.
When I woke up this morning, I did not picture typing that as an event of my day.

Yeah, it was meant to be a joke. I made it up on the spare of the moment to give lions a reason to rebel. :P

EDIT: Okay, I searched, and found a good tileset for level one. It's the chipset titled "bof" from the RPGM2k extended RTP.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:01:48 PM by Zarayna »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try the demo, I'll see what happens and edit when something does.

EDIT: Well then, first off, you get stuck if you open the equip screen (Oh, you mentioned that). But when in gameplay, the level design is very misleading and dry. You're probably saying, "Hiromu, what does dry mean?" I'd respond to that saying that the mapping is blank and repetitive. Now, the reason why it's misleading is because every turn of the maze leads to an exit, the only thing is that these aren't really exits, they're fully open invisible walls. You run there, oops that's not the exit, try to run back you have to fight off the lions that just respawned. Also, you don't tell anyone how to actually shoot arrows, which is not very good. You can't see your health either, so you don't know whether or not to use the potions that are sitting on the ground nor when you're about to die.

EDIT2: I see you've said that you need to kill a certain amount of lions to move on. That'd be nice to note in game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:43:56 PM by hiromu656 »

RMRK Junior
Dryness: Well, it looks a lot better now, trust me.
Stuckness: Yep, pointed that out. Trust me, in 1.02 there won't be an items and equip screen. :P
Exits: I'm thinking of making them pacman style. At the moment, they're just lion-spawning places.
HP bar: Workin on it...
Level goal: Yeah, i have a little word text in 1.02 which gives level goals.
Firing: Um, I said so in the first post:

Shift: Fire ranged weapon, or strike with a sword.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Cool, I suppose I shall wait for these graphical updates then. And I'm aware you put the controls on the site, but video game wise, I think it should be IN the game.

RMRK Junior
I'm just to lazy to add it into the game itself. The game info wordtext in 1.02 should be enough. :P

I've almost finished with 1.02! just need to make a HP bar and I'm done.

Its features include:

-Much better tileset and less blocky map.
-lions are slower.
-items and equip menus no longer work, instead, by pressing 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7, you use/equip one of the items in the game. I haven't removed the items and equip from the menu yet, they just don't work. (Removing them will involve editing about five or six pictures of the menu, and rewiring parts of the CMS, so that might take a while, or longer knowing me...)
-More item drops
-Probably a few other things I've forgotten.

Hopefully I'll have it and some better screenies up tomorrow.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
You should also add a kill counter.

RMRK Junior
ummmm....

The only way I can think of to make that is to have seventy five separate images, each with a separate number.

And after making the images for the HP bar, I think doing that would make my head explode. :P

Also, as I haven't been able to make the HP bar, 1.02 will be released tomorrow

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
For skill counter in a common event, have a variable check the amount of kills you've made so far, then display it with the message code.

RMRK Junior
Alright, version 1.2 is up. HP bar, slower lions, upgraded menu system and items system. Please see the text document "Game information PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAYING" in the new game for full details.

Demo 1.2