RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Added State Effects (v0.1a)

Rep:
Level 82
Added State Effects
Version: 0.1a
Author: Logan Forrests
Date: 24 April 2011

Version History

• <Version 0.1a> 04.24.2011 - Due to request added 1 more state earlier than planned: Trouble
  • <Version 0.1> 04.05.2011 - Original Release

Description

Whilst I know there are scripts out there that add some extra state options (like a proper Regen/Degen state) this script aims to provide a pretty exhaustive supply of state effects many of which can be found in a lot of RPGs and some which may or may not be a bit more original or seem fairly obvious when I take a nosy through the script database.

This first release sees a selection of 12 useful states (7 positive, 5 negative) that can be set up fairly easily. Some states have some additional options that can be set to true or false to change the way they affect specific actions or states. More information can be found in the relevant scripts.

There are two scripts that are needed: Added State Effects and Added State Effects Options. The reason for splitting them up
is simply that combined they are already quite large, and once all intended features are added it will be even larger. By seperating the scripts into two - one that provides the core functionality and one that provides the customisability - seemed to make good sense at the time.

To reduce the size of both, a 3rd (but unnecessary) file is also provided that explains in greater detail how each state functions and, where applicable, how it can be customized further.

Also part of the Added State Effects scripts : Charm/Manipulation State

Recommended that you also download the Update Action Order script of mine to fully maximise the potential of states such as Quicken and Delay as these will not normally take effect until the next turn. The Update Action Order script will ensure that these states take effect immediately.

The script can be downloaded from this thread: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,42361.0.html

Features

A list of the current state effects provided:

• Barrier - Reduces physical damage by a specified percentage. This includes skills/items that have an atk_f modifier or have their Physical Attack option flagged.
  • MBarrier - Reduces magical damage by a specified percentage. This includes skills/items that have an spi_f modifier.
  • Phalanx - Reduces all damage types by a specified amount.
  • Damage Wall - Mitigates a certain amount of damage taken by the battler.
  • Invincible - Reduces all physical damage to 0. Can be set to also include magical damage
  • Life Guard - Attacks which deal damage equal to or greater than the target's current HP value is nullified (made 0)
  • Quicken - Makes the afflicted battler take the first turn during that battle round
  • Delay - Makes the afflicted battler take the last turn during that battler round
  • Mini - Makes all damage dealt by the afflicted battler do 1 damage at the most
  • Exposed - Afflicted battlers take a higher % of damage than normal. The % value can be specified
  • Doom - When the state would naturally wear off, the afflicted battler is instantly KO'd
  • NEW Trouble - Physical damage taken by an ally is shared amongst other party members.
Planned Future Versions

I swapped the Planned Future Versions section around with the Description and Features, since it seems to make a bit more sense that way.

Once all intended state effects are featured in the script Version 1.0 will be complete. This section will be used to show the next set of State Effects being worked on. I would put all 50 or so, but if I change my mind when to do certain things it wouldn't be correct.

In the next version - 0.2 (Names to be finalised, I just use these so I remember what they do)

More negative state effects this time than positive.

• Blink - Absorb a number of attacks; number of absorbs can be set/varied
  • Force Critical - Guarantees next normal attack(s) to deal critical damage
  • Prevent Critical - Prevents normal attack(s) dealing critical damage
  • MP Wall - Damage to HP is directed to MP; how much HP per MP can be set/varied
  • Extend - Buffs/Debuffs last twice as long as normal
  • Paralyze - Has a chance of interrupting battler's turn meaning they will not act that round
  • Amnesia - Opposite to Silence; attacks with an ATK_F mod or Physical Attack cannot be used
  • Heated - KO battler if they take a turn whilst state is active (other than Guard)
  • Freeze - KO battler if they take any damage whilst state is active

Also to be implemented in the future:

• Option to create formulae that determine the values that can be specified for certain states. For example, a formula that allows Phalanx to reduce damage by an amount that increases as the actor levels up or as his SPI increases.
  • Change the way in which certain message are displayed, particularly with damage which does 0.
  • Provide additional means of allowing users to specify the kinds of messages used in battles with regards to the states this script provides.

Instructions

Instructions are in the scripts and files that are attached to this post.

Script

You can find the 2 scripts and the additional .txt file attached to this post.

Credit

• Logan Forrests

Thanks

• All those RPG games that provide the inspiriation for the status effects, especially Final Fantasy XI Online which has an abundance of status effects of varying uses and functions.
  • Requesters: jameswhite89

I will list those who made scripts that add certain state effects if/when they find their way into this script.

Support

Any issues with the script can be addressed in this thread or via a PM to myself. More info on Support can be found in the Added State Effects script.

Known Compatibility Issues

Probably have a few issues with ATB systems with certain states - particularly Quicken, Delay, Doom and Trouble.

Please report any compatibility issues if you find any.

Currently Patched:

Tankentai SBS 3.4d + ATB 1.2c - Patch v1.0: Fixes the ArgumentError in Scene_Battle method 'turn_end'.

Demo

A full demo may be made when Version 1.0 is finalized.

Author's Notes

Spoiler for:
Let me clear this potential issue up: I don't intend to take credit where I know I shouldn't. As I made note of earlier in the post, I know that scripts exist that add a little more functionality to the (lack of) available State options in VX. The purpose of this script is simply to provide an extensive list of functions without having to add potentially dozens of smaller scripts that add 1 or 2 specific options. But unless I specifically make use of another's script and the way in which they scripted the state to work, they won't/may not receive credit immediately. Where it is believe that specific credit is due, please feel free to discuss it with me. There are instances where I have simply had the same idea of implementation as someone else. A good example of this is the Doom state. In this script, it works by waiting for the state to naturally wear before it KOs the battler. This is the same method that Yanfly uses (as I just now learnt) in his Battle Engine Melody version of Doom. But as I haven't taken any inspiration or direction from the BEM scripts, there is no due credit to be made. We just simply shared the same ideas in how to implement the state.

This is likely to be the same with many of the states that are added to this script. I happen to have played a great number of RPGs and other games fromw which I seek some inspiration, as well as just coming up with others randomly based on the available stats provided by VX.

Hopefully, this makes sense. I don't mean to offend anyone if they believe they should be creditted for a state that I implemented out of my own thoughts and methods, but there are times where I don't feel it is due.
---
I currently have a list of about 50 states that I intend to implement, with many more being added whenever I sit down to think about it. Version 1.0 will be the version in which all intended states are available. This may take a long time, or may never truly come. If you do make use of this version, please come back to check for updates regularly.

Restrictions

For now, it's probably not going to get much use as it is very incomplete. But the simple, give credit and don't make any money from it restrictions are sufficient. And if this does find its way elsewhere on the internet, please leave a link back to here (rmrk.net). This is the only place where the scripts will be up to date.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:45:07 AM by LoganForrests »
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
This looks pretty great. Nice work LoganForrests!

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
Awesome script Logan!

Rep:
Level 82
Added an extra state earlier than I'd originally planned, since it was requested. I won't add any more single states until 0.2 is finished at least. Any requests will be added onto 0.2 then.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 73
VIII or DIE!
Im pretty sure with the additon of trouble this will be ace.. test it soon, u r a ledgend
The only limit is your imagination.

My artwork:
http://jameswhite89.deviantart.com/

My Music:
http://uk.myspace.com/jamescoversall

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
Hi! I would love to use this script in my project (really lacking some interesting nice custom state effect!).. However it turns out there are some compatibility issue with the Tankentai SBS 3.4d + ATB 1.2c which I'm using right now.. A error just popup saying "Script 'ATB (1.2c)' line 344: ArgumentError occurred. Wrong number of arguements (1 for 0)". Could please help? thanks in advance. The attached file is the ATB code.

Thanks in advance!

Rep:
Level 82
I'll see if I can make it work for you. I'll edit this post and send you a private message when/if I'm done.

The problem, though, is that the default battle system is turn based, whilst adding an ATB system removes that. It may take a while.

Edit: Patch attached to this script. Please take note of the installation instructions at the head of the file. Also note that currently, two states will not function completely as they do in the DBS due to the message window being disabled in the Sideview script.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:41:09 AM by LoganForrests »

Rep:
Level 73
VIII or DIE!
Got some more state ideas for ya man

Double and Triple: Allows the inficted actor to cast magic based skills twice or thrice

Angelwing: Makes the inficted actor randomly cast magic based skills at three times the damage for the duration of the battle.

Pain: Disables the attack command

Seal: Disables the item command

Any of these do-able? Would really love the double and triple states.. as you can tell i been playing ff 8 XD

My artwork:

My Music:

Rep:
Level 73
VIII or DIE!
also any chance of making the touble state target enemies as well as actors?

My artwork:

My Music:

Rep:
Level 82
Double & Triple are already intended, though I've yet to figure out how I want to go about doing those (and whether or not the DBS has a none too complex way of handling it).

Pain/Seal should be doable.

Angelwing like state I'm sure I can make work.

As for making a change to Trouble to work on enemies too, that's in the plans too at some point.

I've been a bit lazy and a bit more tired than I usually am this last week. Got a few other fixes to make to some other scripts too, but I'll get around to expanding this some time soon. Once this unusual mood has passed.

Rep:
Level 73
VIII or DIE!
Cool cool good to hear :) this is one of my favorite scripts atm.. i love your doom state.. i call it countdown :D on a related note i also belive the angelwing state causes the magic to cost no mp in ff8.. think if all of these get added you'l have one of the best added status effect scripts out there.. oh and your Update Action Orders Per Action is a stroke of genuis. take your time theres no rush :)

My artwork:

My Music:

Rep:
Level 82
Quote from: jameswhite89
on a related note i also belive the angelwing state causes the magic to cost no mp in ff8

Actually, there is no MP in FF8. But you probably mean it doesn't expend any magic casts, in which case you are correct. In fact, one of the best ways to utilize Angel Wing is to only have 1 or 2 top tier spells so she'll deal a lot of damage - Meteor is probably the best choice.

Anyway, randomness aside, I'm glad you like the scripts. I'll try to get some motivation to update this one (but I have to fix an issue with another script first).

Rep:
Level 73
VIII or DIE!
Yeah sure thats what i ment lol.. gotta love that para magic.. yh thats a good tip for an easy win vs final boss

My artwork:

My Music:

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Oh gosssh, these are great~! I hope to see more of these (especially the Angelwing state... that'll be awesome!)
Are these going to all be compatible with the ATB in Tankentai? I know you already patched it and you've yet to fully fix the Trouble state thing - are you planning on working with compatibility stuff as you go?
(Sorry, I'm so, uh... INCOHERENT when it comes to scripting stuff. OTL I'm just, uh... well, not good at it at all. x3)

Rep:
Level 82
Because the ATB is fairly popular in comparison to the default battle system, I'll likely keep this in mind whilst adding in new states and release an ATB patch alongside to make it as compatible as possible. I'm not sure whether some states will be simple enough to make an immediate patch available though; that's something that I'll decide when the time comes.

It's been a while since I've actually done much work on this script, due to real life obligations coming first, so I'll probably look at a reorganisation/rewrite of what I've done so far to iron out the bugs and to ensure better compatibility with the ATB. Something to look forward to I guess.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hey, that's cool with me~! These states are just super excellent - I'm stoked for any future releases, as I'm sure I'll use them in my project. x3

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
Can you make a status effect that works like blink but obsorbs the damage instead of attacks?

Rep:
Level 69
RESIDENT ADONKADONK
I have been enjoying this script a lot, but recently I have encountered an error, undefined method atk_f for
(i forgot the rest i will get it to you in a bit) so I looked at the line error, skill.atk_f, so i searched .atk_f, and I found the only other script that uses this is the YERD_Display_Skill_Query. I am not sure if this is a compatibility issue or not.
Also, the error pops up when I defeat an enemy.

I'm back.

Rep:
Level 82
My scripts end up conflicting quite a bit with YERD scripts. Since moving onto VX Ace, I've not had any intentions to continue support for the VX scripts. If you can get a copy of the exact script you are using that may have a conflict, I will take a look and see if it's reasonable to fix it.