RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Grace of Vil

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)

History
Spoiler for:
Grace of Vil takes place in a fictional time and place. The world is separated into 9 continents, Elevan, Roiko Isle, Sindel, Okeer, Thale, Black Isle, Passil, Baggart and New Angel City. In its core is The Eye of the Storm, a ravaged, demon sanctuary. There stands the dormant Great Gate, a rift between Earth, Paradise and the Abyss. In this world there are beings called Saints, these are humans (or elves) that have been granted the powers of a god. There are many mysteries in this land, mysteries whose truths could change the world.

Story
For years, Roiko Isle's citizens have lived safe and calm. Ruled by no one, all of its people knew one another and were very friendly. A young man named Hiromu lives there with his mother and sister, along with his best friend, Elissa, a self taught Cleric. Little did they know that everything they had known about their world was going to change. Hiromu's sister is kidnapped throwing him into a dangerous journey to find her and the man responsible. He'll need more than just Elissa to take on what's ahead you'll need a large party to fight off an enemy capable of destroying the world.

Characters (Including 1st 3 Party Members)
Hiromu: The main character of the game, he is normally a childish and jokey person, the loss of his sister made him become a lot more serious. His combat class is Traveler, due to his inexperience with combat, his skills are based on chance. Example Skill: Chance! "Deal Base Damage + 50SkillDamage (70% Chance).
Elissa: Hiromu's best friend. She's a self taught cleric who excels in healing but has very little knowledge of offense holy skills. Her combat class is Cleric, she is the healer of the group and a necessity in battle. Example Skill: Snap Heal "Use little mana to heal for a 50HP" (Better Spells come later)
Ven: A warrior from Okeer. He spends most of his time training his combat skills in the hunting grounds near his home. His combat class is Warrior, he can serve as a 2Hhanded fighter or use sword and shield. Example Skill: Shattering Strike "Shatter an enemy's defense with a powerful strike." (Damage Enemy Defense)
Claire: The daughter of Baldiorre, the world's greatest and most revered bounty hunter. Her combat class is Bounty Hunter, she uses a bow as her weapon of choice. Example Skill: Drop Shot "Take a crouched position to deliver an immense shot."

Features
*Fully Open World to Explore
*Hours of Sidequests and Extra Dungeons
*Ultimate Weapons to Discover
*Legendary Bosses to Defeat
*14 Different Party Members (So, over 50 party variations)
*(Approx.) Planned 30 Hour Storyline
*10 Different Endings
*No Overworld Map! All areas made in Large Zones to promote exploration.
*Weapon Archetypes
Spoiler for:
Common, Uncommon, Lite Rare, Rare, Legendary. The final is Godlike and Demonic; there are no Godlike or Demonic archetypes for armor, only for weapons. Both are the same in terms of damage capabilities (Godlike and Demonic). Their difference is that one has the Holy Element and one has Darkness Element. There are both Godlike and Demonic weapons for each weapon type (shortsword, longsword, 1h axe, 2h axe, 2h blade, staff, rod, mace, bow and claws). Besides from that I've already made 113 weapons so far, many are high rare drops and can be gotten at lower levels if you're lucky, there are a lot of weapons and armor to make the game seem open worldish and a bit similar to an offline mmo.

Scripts
Spoiler for:
*BulletXt - Thomas Edison VX
*Cozziekun - Critical Bonus State
*Modern Algebra - Element Efficiency States
*Modern Algebra - Flash Selected Enemy
*TDS - FF Mystic Quest CBS
*Kylock - End Battle Fanfare
*Moghunter - Battleback EX
*Falcao - Fog Effects
*Ramiro - Show Map Name
*Lecode - Improved Damage States
*Modern Algebra - Colored Texts
*Modern Algebra - Integrated Reserve Party
*Modern Algebra - No Zombie Leaders

Screenshots
Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:

Accumulation of New Enemies (below):
Spoiler for:

More Screenshots
Spoiler for:

The Wasteland
The Wasteland Dock

Laeda Shrine Entrance
Some New Items

Gameplay Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQYO8ydV2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUX8roZOCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz-Gpnldo-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKDfMRHZhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmaYsqXIzI

DOWNLOAD
(Story) Demo Version 2.0 Out Now
Non-RTP: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1XCSF247
RTP: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICK6ZHCM

Final Demo (Non Story) Download:
Non-RTP: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SNCNOI8J
RTP: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XEOFH9R0

And bundles of thanks to Bunny for the amazing logo!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:33:13 AM by hiromu656 »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Okay, you've done a good job. The maps are very good, I'm enjoying the characters and the plot is self-driven and compelling. However, I found a fatal error in you game, and it's right at the start of the game.

When I sleep in my bed at my home, Elissa appears to tell me that my sister is missing. However, when I go to Elissa's house, my sister is sleeping on the bed. Also, I sleep in my bed again and Elissa appears to tell me that my sister is missing... again. That's as far as I've played, so I suggest fixing that before advertising this elsewhere. Some self-switch work could easily fix this up. I also suggest crediting Cozziekuns for the Earthbound battle system.

Good game though - AP.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:05:35 PM by AngryPacman »
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Oh, that's terrible. I'll fix it right now.

EDIT: The demo will be reuploaded in a bit. I've made a few modifications to the game, such as balancing weapons and armor, enemy strength and fixed up the mana requirements for the spells. Oh, and that problem has been eradicated, thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:08:08 PM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
I also suggest crediting Cozziekuns for the Earthbound battle system.
It's not Cozziekun's. It's TDS' Final Fantasy Magic Quest Battle System.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Demo Number Two Set for Next Week.
Additions:
*A new party member, Ven!
*Another continent to explore, Okeer
*Okeer comes with another Major City
*Another Dungeon (Non-Story Dungeons w/ Repeatable Boss Fight)
      -Goblin Lair (2 SideQuests - Repeatable Boss Fight)
      -Tundril's Retreat (Powerful Boss, light enemy encounter (Puzzle Dungeon) with Treasure at the End)
*New weapons (Ones that help exploit enemy Elemental Weaknesses) and armor 
*Skills are fully patched and tweaked to be more balanced in terms of effectiveness and mana usage.
*Unravel more of the game's Storyline
*And 10 New Side Quests in Addition to the previous 4.
*Plenty of Hidden Areas and Characters to meet.
*File Sized Reduced by 19.8MBs
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:06:37 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
There is so much to do in your game. There are so many things to do that I forgot the main plot and how to actually get forward in the game. I like your idea of several big continent maps strung together, as opossed to the general overworld map you see oh so often. I hope you fixed that bug I found, and I  can only wish that you'll enjoy my demo as much as I enjoyed yours. It's up, if you didn't know.
AP, or HP. (until the moderator who changed it changes it back. no idea who it was.)
EDIT: Found yet another bug (it's what I do), in the first really big city (the name of which escapes me). When I view the map from the poster or the map girl (I forget, sorry), there's no way of closing it. So, conditional branch error? Negligence on my part? Have a look at it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:15:50 AM by HappyPacman »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
EDIT: Found yet another bug (it's what I do), in the first really big city (the name of which escapes me). When I view the map from the poster or the map girl (I forget, sorry), there's no way of closing it. So, conditional branch error? Negligence on my part? Have a look at it.
I'm glad that's what you do. I'll look into that when the sun comes up :). And thanks for the positive feedback yet again! I didn't know your demo was up, I just remember there being a problem with it. I'll have two things to do then.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Glad I could help!  ;D Modern Algebra came up with a solution to my problems. It should work. I'll download a newer verison of your game as soon as I can. Give me feedback as I gave you. Expect bugs. Lots.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Demo #2 Possibly going to be pulled back for a few more days after its planned release (Feb. 5). I've been pretty busy and on top of that I've been editing character stats and starter weapons, little did I know when I change that kind of stuff in the database it won't be placed into a savegame I already have, so now I'll be replaying my already 3 hour demo (creator playthrough time) just so I can get back to where I once was because I have to start the game over for the edited settings to appear. Character stuff has been pretty annoying. I've been getting frustrated balancing enemies with the player. Right now it's very easy since you get a lot of money quickly, so I have to edit that as well. SOOOO It will most like be postponed for a while longer than I had planned.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Started downloading, seems interesting so far in the description.

Also found the bug reported earlier, the map won't close.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:09:45 AM by sanchezinc »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Started downloading, seems interesting so far in the description.

Also found the bug reported earlier, the map won't close.
Geez, it works fine for me though. I can't replace the demo at this point since I'm beginning the second one. I think I'm going to remove the demo and when the Second one is done, it'll essentially be the first. Because no one likes bugs.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I like bugs. They give me something to work on so I can procrastinate actually progressing on my project. It's probably just an ill-made conditional branch in your case though.
In case you didn't know, Night Portal's demo V1.2 is up, fixed your bug and a couple others i found on my own.

Rep:
Level 75
Pixel Artist | Writer
So does it work or are you just gonna up another one? Looks pretty fun.
(I love how the main characters name is Hiromu btw).
"Nothing's changed about war cept' the caliber of the gun."

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
So does it work or are you just gonna up another one? Looks pretty fun.
(I love how the main characters name is Hiromu btw).
I think you should wait for the second demo. I'm probably going to take it down tomorrow, I'm working as much as I can on part 2, so this might be quite the waste to play the whole beginning over to get to the added continent. And that's a beast name.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GoV Demo 2 - Release Date Set for February 11th. (For this I am certain)

I've been putting in a bit more things into the game with the time I have to do so. I've got school, and a Rift (Planes of Telara) beta to worry about which makes my time a bit scarce.

A Few More Additions:
- Housing System is Introduced
       *House comes with a bed of course, because Inns are for homeless people.
       *A Player Piano to play some snazzy tunes.
       *Depending on the House (size/price mainly) you'll get bonuses, Such as>
               *A Training Dummy
               *An Indoor Bar (Hiromu can't use it though, he's too young)
               *Item Storage
-I've added 4 more quests to the 10 I had posted previously and the 4 currently in demo 1, meaning that when Demo 2 comes out, the game will have 18 Sidequests. But I do believe I will come up with something, and that number shall definitely rise as my ideas do before the demo is released.

The Future
Spoiler for:
There will be one more demo after this, it will not give up any more of the story, it will instead give you a greater understanding of the game's progression, there will not be much to do in the Final Demo, you will be given a preview of 3 unknown characters, and will be able to recruit them to your party, fight a boss and view firsthand the power of a Godlike/Demonic weapon.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:06:37 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Another Update (Kind of Big)

Additions:
-Roiko Caverns
     *A small cavernous dungeon within the mountains of Roiko Isle. It is discovered by a quest, the creatures are being called Entities, (my tactic of making 'ghost' sound cooler). A little secret that I don't mind spoiling about the cave is a little weapon called the Glistening Longsword. It has a Droprate of 0.02 off of these Entities and it's very much worth it to pick up this weapon as it is fairly strong and deals holy damage. I recommend having Ven before grinding for that weapon, it may take a while if you are unlucky (like me).

-The Elyias Garden
     *An elven settlement to the west of the Okeer Capital. It is home to the annual Elyias Memorial Festival which celebrates the lives of the ancient Elyias Elves that populated Okeer (then called Baveria) when it was mainly forest. After the humans settled there, the Okeer Empire emerged and took control of the land, leaving the Elyias Garden as the only piece of land the elves can call home.
-Weapons/Armor
      *I've added in 11 new weapons into the mix. So, at this time, there will be 55 usable weapons for your three current characters (Hiromu, Elissa and Ven). In the Database I currently have 112 weapons. There hasn't been an overhaul of armor as of yet, I have 67 pieces in total which can all be used in Demo number 2.

-Quests
      *I've added 3 more quests to the 18, so I now have 21. I plan on increasing this number before release. I want to have 26 by then. If dungeons count as well, then I'd like 30.

-Patching
      * The monsters have been made stronger or weaker depending on what I thought of them. In demo 1 money was given out like rice in china (joke), now I've edited the amount of money that enemies dropped so you actually have to work for the gear that vendors sold. And speaking of vendors, they've been moved around a bit and prices have also been increased to make battle a necessity, and also add more challenge to the game. Weapons have been weakened by means of shop items, and that means a longsword won't have 5 more attack than a shortsword, I made the increase more gradual so that some weapons are skipped and money is to be used more smart. Along with that since there are more weapons in the game, many monsters will drop some if you can't afford things, so for those who enjoy grinding (i hate it) then go ahead and get some nice gear.

-Scripts
       *TDS' Item Hit Rating Script that I requested, and he had it whipped up in a jiffy. Thanks again for that.

And Again: GoV Demo 2 - Release Date Set for February 11th.

I recommend waiting for that rather than downloading Demo 1  :zwink:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:36:19 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 75
Pixel Artist | Writer
This demo is taking too long! The screens look nice. About how long would you say the demo actually plays for?

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Lol, I've been in it for 4 hours now, I think I should have cut it off a bit earlier but I got too wrapped up in it and started adding too much, now I'm just going to finish the continent and that'll be it. I'd say it'll play for maybe 5-6 hours possibly if you were to do everything (quests, dungeons, weapons, armor). This game is most definitely going to take a while, I'm not sure if im going to make any sequels anymore since this is cutting into my 3d modeling training.

I'm getting rid of Demo Number One right now so that if anyone plays they'll play the better one instead.  ;8
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:01:04 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 75
Pixel Artist | Writer
Lol, I've been in it for 4 hours now, I think I should have cut it off a bit earlier but I got too wrapped up in it and started adding too much, now I'm just going to finish the continent and that'll be it. I'd say it'll play for maybe 5-6 hours possibly if you were to do everything (quests, dungeons, weapons, armor). This game is most definitely going to take a while, I'm not sure if im going to make any sequels anymore since this is cutting into my 3d modeling training.

I'm getting rid of Demo Number One right now so that if anyone plays they'll play the better one instead.  ;8

6 hours?? Well, I'm gonna have stuff to do in my dorm instead of watching Law and Order and playin basketball all day. Yea, working on my game is cutting into my programming lol. Well, since the release date is set for tomorrow, we shall see. (good timing, it's the weekend)

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Demo Number Two is complete, internet is being pretty slow so Megaupload is as well. It will be up in a bit, in the mean time I'll be playing Dragon Age.

BTW, the Demo has a lot of stuff to offer, I'm not going to resume production on the game for a weak so that I can patch the demo if anything is reported and the demo won't reveal anything I've been working on after its release. I will post again when the demo has been added.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:39:46 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Grace of Vil Demo 2 being patched for errors. Look at first post for Reupload.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:09:13 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
\/Lode...
\/Lode...
I'm going to start from the beginning, and report every tiny nook and cranny I possibly can. It will take a while, but I have Sundays relatively free. If I find any bugs, I'll PM you so as to not make more traffic. Buh-buh for nawz.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Problems (I've Found):
*Every Interior of the Okeer Capital retains the fog overlay of the extrior :(
*A shield (The Solar Guard) acquired from a quest is ridiculously overpowered.

EDIT2:

Well, it seems something has been terrible missed. I have to reupload the game since I've missed something: the switch used to keep the Goblin's Lair dungeon replayable was left on when it is supposed to turn off when you exit the dungeon. So, sorry for this although it makes the game much more enjoyable, also the other problems will have been fixed so I believe it's worth it now.

EDIT3:

Demo has been fixed and reuploaded without the above problems.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:12:22 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Gameplay Video of Trundil's Hovel here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQYO8ydV2o

Since my description of the game doesn't really do it any justice.

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
This looks really good. I don't play demos though. I look forward to this being finished.