Child of Reason
I'm working on a new project and I figured it was weird enough on it's own to start talking about it. The title is still up in the air, as I haven't decided whether to name it after the character's handle, to call it "Children of Schopenhauer", "Jung's Daemon", or 'Children of Reason". Essentially it's the product of a lot of western philosophy, myth, and my favorite of pseudosciences, psychic powers (I was a pretty big fan of Stephen King, Akira, and Scanners).
Mechanics in Place
I've decided there's enough weird components to start talking about the project as more than a theoretical work, and basically describe what I've got going on right now. I've tied together modified parts of Mr Mo's ABS, Ccoas UMS, Night runner's Event clone, and my own attribute hack combined with Robot Unicorn/MA's pdef/mdef modifier.
What's new in addition to ABS and UMS:
- sprite appears to fire a rifle on map when using rifles and stabs with knife when in melee
- attributes on a roughly 5-15 range, damage/dodge/critical equations radically different
- Characters can inflict damage even if unarmed
- melee weapons represent a damage modifier, while missile weapons deal 'flat' damage
- missile weapon damage modified by dexterity (aim) melee weapons modified by agility (accuracy)
- characters can resist some damage even without armor
- armor represents a resistance modifier
- Willpower Stat and Mental Resistance in Development
- 'on the fly' customizable skill system in the works, customize:
- SP cost
- and a whole lot more
- Music Skill tied to a library (midi) allowing character to play classics
- Painting Skill allows crafting of expensive objects with value depending on your talent
- Black market and bartering system with variable item prices.
It's not much I know, but I'm really enjoying the story line and trying to figure these things out. The storyline is a saga, beginning with a wealthy young artist and ending with something more at home in a Lovecraft novel. It's got a pretty dark edge to it and I hope people will enjoy playing it when it's done.
Anthon Rensselaer: The Protagonist. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, his story is the struggle and desperation of the human spirit. Faced with loss and despair, he must sacrifice reason and sanity to shatter the boundaries of human potential.
Hanzou Tomoe: The Master's Daughter. A member of an elusive ninja clan in the deepest mountains of Japan, she is a few years older and several times wiser than our anti-hero. She is torn between the two worlds of tradition and modernity.
Master Hanzou: A descendant of the infamous Iga clan, no one knows how old the man is, and many question if he is even human. Said to be the keeper of the ten-thousand mysteries, and the greatest disciple of Lama Rinpoche's teachings.
My first Screenshot (new!)