RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Tutorial RPGMXP

Rep:
Level 88
Ok here we go!
Here's the example of how to make a quest for your game. 

It's not as long as it looks.  Only takes around 5 minutes.

I'm going to use the example of someone is scared of a monster and you have to go beat it.  So first we need someone to be scared of a monster, so make an event and pick the sprite you want.

It should end up looking like this. I'll go over what to do for the events.
<>Message :I'm scared of this monster and I need you to kill it :( This part is kinda simple.  Just make the message you want them to say to give you the quest.  You can put pretty much anything you want here.  This is what happens before you get the quest.

<>Show Choices: Ok, I don't like quests Click on the show choice button and type in what you want the choices to be. (I used "Ok" and "I don't like quests".  Make sure Disallow Cancel is checked.

:[Ok] Handler
<>Variable:[0001 : Quest] = 1
Go to Variable Operation and use it to set a variable to 1.  Variable is better for here because there are more than one stage of the quest and you can use the variable to know which part you are on.

<>Message: Ok go fight the monster. Put here whatever you want them to say or do after you accept the quest.

:[I don't like quests] Handler
<>Message: Ok I'll just stand here then.This is whatever they do if you don't take the quest.  The variable doesn't change so you can talk to them and start over again.

Now, we need a monster.  Make another event where you want the monster to be at.

Leave this page blank because this is the page for when the quest isn't on. (You can put something here if you want there to be something when the quest isn't on).

Make a new page on the monster event and make it look like this:

Put the sprite as whatever you want the monster to be.  In this case, I made him a Door.
Also, make sure for Preconditions, make sure Variable -> Quest is Set to Greater Than or Equal to 1 is checked.
Here's an explanation of the events if you don't understand them.

<>Message: Rawr, I am an evil door.  Let's fight now!
Put whatever you want the monster to say or do before the fight here.

Enemy Encounter: Evil Door Monster This is the fight.  Pick Enemy Encounter and the monster group you want to fight.  Make sure you have it all set up in the database before you do this so you can find it.

<>Message: Ok I will be nice and not bother anyone again.
<>Message: Goodbye!!
Whatever happens after the fight goes here.

<>Switch: [0001: Door Monster] = ON The switch so the Evil Door Monster is beaten.

<>Variable: [0001: Quest] = 2 Moves the quest to part 2 since you beat the boss.

Now, the monster needs a page 3 for after he is beaten.

It's like page 1 except make sure the preconditions are set right.

Now, go back to the first NPC who gave you the quest and add a page 2.

For preconditions, Make sure it is the Variable you used for your quest set to 1.  Then under events put whatever you want them to say or do AFTER you accept the quest, but BEFORE you beat the boss.

Now, make another page.  This one will be for after you beat the boss and go back.

For preconditions, make sure the Monster Switch is set to ON and the Quest Variable is set to 2.
Here's a summary of the events.

<>Message: Good job! You beat the Evil Door Monster!
<>Message: Here is a present for being a hero.
<>Complete Healing: Entire Party
<>Change Money +1234567
Here's everything that happens after you beat the boss.  But if you just left it like this, you would get a reward each time you talked to the event, so we need to make it so it only gives it to you once.  That's why there is....

<>Variable: [0001 : Quest] = 3 This makes it so it goes to the next page which you are about to make.

Now for the last part.  Make one more page for after the quest is over.

For preconditions, check the quest Variable to 3 and put on the events area whatever you want them to say or do after you finish the quest and get your prize.

See? Nothing to it!  ;) Hope this helps, if you need me to clear anything up just let me know.