RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
One Night *Full Horror Game*

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon

Overview

One Night is a survival horror game created by Dark Gaia with RPG Maker VX. It was first released on January 2nd, 2009, and since then has garnered favorable reviews and has spawned two full sequels. It also holds the very dubious honor of being the first ever survival horror game developed with RPG Maker VX.

Story

The Complex... At one point, it was obviously some sort of bustling, busy epicentre of human activity, the nerve center of all sorts of scientific endevours and the military stronghold of an entire armed force. This can be evidenced by the sheer complexity of the place...
Buildings sprawling over each other, subterranian levels, airfields, hangars, vast underground laboratories...
But then again, if it ever was those things, it surely isn't now. Something happened there long ago, and now The Complex is abandoned, crumbling, and eerily silent, it's inhabitants seemingly vanished into nothing in the blink of an eye.
It seems like The Complex is just... no longer there. It's never been heard from since that day when... whatever went wrong went wrong, and nobody who has set out looking for it has ever returned. No maps seem to mark it's location anymore, and not even GPS surveilance can sight anything in the endless expanse of forest it once called it's home.
Some have even gone so far as saying the place doesn't exist.
There's some sort of secret behind that place... And what happened there. The Complex holds many such surprises, and a treasure trove of mysteries too. But it also holds a strangling atmosphere of terror, and a horrific fate which has changed it into a world of dread and danger.

You have just opened your eyes from a long period of unconsciousness, finding yourself sprawled on the cracked stone floor of one of The Complex's many abandoned rooms. Remembering only your name, you must now set out into the darkness that has infested this place, and discover who you are, why you are there, and what terrible catastrophy turned the once bustling Complex into what you are about to  experience.

Game Features[/u]

- Scary atmosphere and locations, with eerie audio and dark lighting effects to set a frightening mood.
- Relentless enemies which will hunt you endlessly, and which you cannot defeat!
- Mysterious story filled with puzzles and secrets to discover.

Screenshots

Download

You can download this game from the page here:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/926/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:57:07 AM by Dark Gaia »
Developer of Legionwood and One Night and author of post-apocalyptic novel Sun Bleached Winter. Find everything I've made at http://drobertgrixti.com.

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
Attention!!
Due to a lazy error on my part when I was compressing the game, a few crucial files were left out, causing problems for the game.

I have compiled them all into a zip archive (80kb) which can be downloaded here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PHF2Y2JF

Download, extract and add all the files to the Audio/SE folder.

Sorry! Added this to the above post as well BTW.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:39:58 AM by Dark Gaia »
Developer of Legionwood and One Night and author of post-apocalyptic novel Sun Bleached Winter. Find everything I've made at http://drobertgrixti.com.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm not much into the genre that this game is, so I probably won't play it. Although, this looks quite well made. Good job.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'll give this a shot, it looks promising.
I'll post first impressions, and perhaps a short review later.

the idea of the combat system seems very interesting. 
kindof a Reactive Battle System :P

oh yes, moved to finished projects.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:04:59 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
ATTENTION!
Some errors to do with missing files were discovered in the game, so I set up a new download link which fixes those problems. Sorry to anyone who experienced trouble.

After you DL the new version...
Due to a soundtrack change I made in development, one of the files required was switched to another folder. After installation, please enter the folder Audio/SE and copy the file "+string" to Audio/ME.

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
Yes i have a question on it :D
How did you get the lighting effects in the first few screenshots??
(BTW im downloading  ;) )
Thanks.
-Raiden

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
http://www.majorrpg.com
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:
Name: Silent Hill - Time Lapse
Percent done: 2%
Genre: Horror

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
The lighting's simply a Picture that is overlayed throughout the whole game.

I discovered a glitch that can be avoided in game. In the first room, examining the door causes the game to crash unless you either first examine the open crate or open Audio/SE and copy "028-Door05" and rename the copy to "029-Door06".

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

I discovered a glitch that can be avoided in game. In the first room, examining the door causes the game to crash unless you either first examine the open crate or open Audio/SE and copy "028-Door05" and rename the copy to "029-Door06".

that means you're still missing a file.
if this was in XP I could point you to a resource checker, but it's not.

I always relocate files to my game folder once I decide to use them.
another way to do it is to keep a running list of all files used in game as you use them.
just a little tip for the future :)

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light

Thanks!
So basically find a picture looking like that and amke it to where its used during the whole game?

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
I will definately keep more check on what resources I'm using in the future. I've had to reupload this game with all the missing files, but as you can see, there are still two missing. One needs to be copied from SE to ME, and one SE file needs to be renamed. The game works fine aside from that.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I will definately keep more check on what resources I'm using in the future. I've had to reupload this game with all the missing files, but as you can see, there are still two missing. One needs to be copied from SE to ME, and one SE file needs to be renamed. The game works fine aside from that.

was just suggesting that it'd probably be a good idea to upload a -totally fixed- version.

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
Well, I would like to do that. But I live in Australia and I used up the last bit of the month's uploading bandwidth to get THIS version up, so you'll have to cope with that one for now.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Well, I would like to do that. But I live in Australia and I used up the last bit of the month's uploading bandwidth to get THIS version up, so you'll have to cope with that one for now.

now see, with a reason like that, it's understandable why you can't :P

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
How did you create the character and the Monsters?
I've been working on a project for a while now

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
Well, that's slightly more complicated. The monsters are events that move towards the player. When the player touches them, and animation plays and he loses health (which is a varaiable). It's very much more complicated than that but by watching how the enemies work in One Night you should be able to work it out.

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
Well, that's slightly more complicated. The monsters are events that move towards the player. When the player touches them, and animation plays and he loses health (which is a varaiable). It's very much more complicated than that but by watching how the enemies work in One Night you should be able to work it out.
Yeah man, i downloaded it!
Its awesome!!
I could never do it :p
Yeah i want a system where they walk up and it takes health but dosent show you.
Which is variables, like you said, correct?

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
Yeah... Variables, a couple self switches and a few animations, and that's it.

I just have a variable called Health, and when an enemy touches you, an animation is played and the variable gets 1 added to it. There's a parrelel process common event which checks if Health is more than 3, and if so, plays the game over scene.

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
Yeah... Variables, a couple self switches and a few animations, and that's it.

I just have a variable called Health, and when an enemy touches you, an animation is played and the variable gets 1 added to it. There's a parrelel process common event which checks if Health is more than 3, and if so, plays the game over scene.
Very nice!
Its hard to figure out the code on yours :p
To open the chest
And is there anyway that you'd give me tutorial on the health System?
I could easily do it, but variables isn't my thing :p
Thanks for the in-sight,
-Raiden

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
I'll help you out. The number 38 opens the chest. Be careful though, as unless you have the latest download, the game will freeze upon opening it. I think the one I posted here on RMRK is the latest one though... So don't worry.

If not though, delete the game from your hard drive (but put your save file in a safe place first) then download and install the new version, following the set up instructions listed under the download link.

As for the health... Well, I pretty much explained it. The variable starts off as 0, and 1 gets added each time you touch a foe. A common event constantly checks to see if the variable is over 3 and if so, shows Game Over. That's really all there is.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
It's looking nicely done, personally i'd make things darker, a 2-d topdown horror isn't very horrifying if you can see everything that is there in the first place.

Other than that the mapping looks nice, i'll pick this up if I get around to it
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
I'll help you out. The number 38 opens the chest. Be careful though, as unless you have the latest download, the game will freeze upon opening it. I think the one I posted here on RMRK is the latest one though... So don't worry.

If not though, delete the game from your hard drive (but put your save file in a safe place first) then download and install the new version, following the set up instructions listed under the download link.

As for the health... Well, I pretty much explained it. The variable starts off as 0, and 1 gets added each time you touch a foe. A common event constantly checks to see if the variable is over 3 and if so, shows Game Over. That's really all there is.

So, i need to make 3 variables.
and a common event.

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
@Raiden - No, he clearly said he had a variable (IE ONE VARIABLE). Every time an enemy touchs the main character the value of the ONE VARIABLE gets increased by 1. A single common event is set to constantly check the value of the ONE VARIABLE, and if the value of the ONE VARIABLE is greater than or equal to 3, it's game over. Now, stop spamming up Dark Gaia's thread with stupid questions. If you have a specific question that only he can answer, send him a PM instead.

@Dark Gaia - I like the looks of this game. It feels really familiar to my own survival horror that's in the process of being remade. I'll definitely give the game a try when you get everything fixed. :3

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
Every thing is fixed in this version pretty much. I am busy with school and my main project so most likely this is as fixed as it will ever get. Just move those two files it tells you to and it will work fine.

If any more errors happen, you'll just have to copy/rename your way in.

Sorry, but until I get a spare time to check over resources you'll have to cope with it.

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
@Raiden - No, he clearly said he had a variable (IE ONE VARIABLE). Every time an enemy touchs the main character the value of the ONE VARIABLE gets increased by 1. A single common event is set to constantly check the value of the ONE VARIABLE, and if the value of the ONE VARIABLE is greater than or equal to 3, it's game over. Now, stop spamming up Dark Gaia's thread with stupid questions. If you have a specific question that only he can answer, send him a PM instead.

@Dark Gaia - I like the looks of this game. It feels really familiar to my own survival horror that's in the process of being remade. I'll definitely give the game a try when you get everything fixed. :3
The common event part is what is confusing me.
How will the system know to end the game when theres 3?

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)