RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
ABS Showdown Contest

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
ABS Showdown Contest

Introduction

Hello and welcome. Some of you might know me, others might not. I am a scripter who has created many scripts for the RPG Maker community and one of them is the ABS called "Blizz-ABS". Currently there is a lot going on in that area and many people are fighting about which ABS is the best. Of course something like this cannot be determined with just one or two features, it's a comparison involving the entire ABS. I've had an interesting in order to make a comparison: An ABS contest! That's a nice idea and all, but it wouldn't really work out if it was at my forum only because most members there prefer Blizz-ABS. So I decided that it should be a cross-forum contest. Also, the game does not have to be a complete game. It can be an alternative plot twist of an already existing game. It can be just a demo for your own, bigger game. And you don't even have to really finish it. But obviously an unfinished game will lose some points. Submit what you got at the end. Keep in mind that you are not allowed to use games already in development because it would be unfair towards the other participants. The RPG Maker that is being used is RPG Maker XP.

The forums included in this contest are:

How will it work

It's simple. We will compare games created by using an ABS. There are several rules which need to be followed. Any major violation of the rules means immediate disqualification since it's a contest with a rather small scope (small game). Anybody can participate or judge. Please see the section further below for more information for sign ups. It's preferred if the judges also know how to use at least one ABS, but it's not necessary.

General information

The game should be created solo, but collaboration is allowed. In the latter case, the necessary playtime will be multiplied with the number of team members where the minimum is 30 minutes and each team member adds 30 more minutes to the playtime. Examples:

• 1 team member = 30-60 minutes of playtime
  • 2 team member = 60-90 minutes of playtime
  • 3 team member = 90-120 minutes of playtime

The time limit is 15 days. The games themselves must not use any resources (graphics, music, scripts) from the demos or example games provided specifically for the ABSes or any other ABSes. The games also can use any scripts that are specified as plugins for the ABSes. (i.e. EXP in HUD for Blizz-ABS can be used). Support scripts that add features to the ABS (i.e. Chaos Rage Limit System for Blizz-ABS) are also allowed. Those scripts are not counted as additional scripts and do not add to the "number of coded lines" for the limit.
You are allowed to do some very minor tweaks in the ABS like editing one line to disable a feature that is not listed as normal feature and cannot be disabled otherwise. But those add-ons MUST be in form of additional scripts that simply override or alias the already existing ABS. Custom scripts and other plugins are allowed. Graphics and music can be custom or RTP.
The time for preparation of the contest should be used for planning, resource gathering and database setup.

Prizes

• The winner of the contest can request either medium script (up to estimated 1000 lines of code) for RPG Maker XP created by me for his/her game only or a cash prize of $20 payed over PayPal (and PayPal only!).
  • The second ranked can request a small script from Zeriab (active everywhere and nowhere xD) for RPG Maker XP.
  • The third ranked can request a small script from modern algebra (mostly active at RMRK.net) for either RPG Maker XP or RPG Maker VX.

Summarized rules

• RPG Maker: RPG Maker XP
  • contest starts: 15. December 2008, 12h GMT+1
  • contest ends: 30. December 2008, 12h GMT+1
  • RTP Graphics: allowed
  • RTP Music: allowed
  • non-RTP Graphics: allowed
  • non-RTP Music: allowed
  • SDK: allowed
  • ABS specific plugins: allowed
  • ABS support scripts: allowed
  • custom scripts: allowed (maximum 10000 lines of code altogether, SDK, plugins and support scripts do not count)
  • direct modification of ABS scripts: only minor and in form of additional scripts
  • direct modification of RTP scripts: not allowed
  • resources from the ABS demos: not allowed
  • very, very small edits in the ABS in form of extra scripts: allowed
  • team ups: allowed (no maximum)
  • playtime: 30~60 minutes + 30 minutes for each additional team member if working in teams
  • full credits must be given to everybody who participated in the creation of the game (i.e. if a script was used during development, but removed afterwards, credit the creator of the script with at least a "thank you")
  • DREAM and any DREAM scripts must not be used
  • project must not be compiled and encrypted when submitted
  • game doesn't have to be a full game, it can be unfinished or a demo for another game or something similar
  • every submitted game that uses Blizz-ABS can be requested to be rereleased as Blizz-ABS example game

Judges

• winkio (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS, limited XAS 2.0)
  • DeathLock (Chaos Project; Behemoth ABS)
  • Irock (RMRK.net; any ABS)
  • xgamexfreakx (hbgames.org; XAS)
  • MegaDethKlok (RPG RPG Revolution; none)
  • Punn (formally Mumerus) (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

Contestants

• scoace13 (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • legacyblade (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • NAMKCOR (RMRK.net; Blizz-ABS), Bayard Zylos (RMRK.net; Blizz-ABS)
  • Chaze007 (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • Kingmunkey (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • Fantasist (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • Azriel (Creation Asylum; XAS)
  • computerwizoo7 (Big Dreamer; XAS)
  • Elf Wind (Phanxgames; Behemoth ABS)
  • Landith (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)
  • onimusuko (RPG RPG Revolution; RTH-ABS)
  • Ace of Spades (hbgames.org; Ace ABS)

Additional information

The maximum of 10000 lines of code means that the number of effective lines of code from all other scripts must not exceed 10000. The ABSes' code does not count. The code of ABS plugins does not count. The code of support scripts for the ABS does not count. SDK is a rewrite of all the RTP script and therefore cannot be considered a script, you are allowed to use SDK without penalty. You are also not allowed to edit those scripts to enhance the game. This WILL be tested and if your RTP scripts match less than 99,5% (basically the small differences in the different versions that use different font declarations), you will be disqualified! Comments and empty lines are not effective lines of code! Any script that is being used during the development, but removed in the final version IS NOT included in the 10000 lines of code!

Now take a look at those codes here.

Code: [Select]
class Classe

def something
    if a ||
        c || d
      p 4
    end
    p 11 if c
    p 12; p13; p 14; p15;
  end

end

This code has 12 effective lines of code. The lines

if a ||
        c || d
      p 4
    end

are 3 lines of code because the condition is split into two lines. The line

p 11 if c

is one line of code. The line

p 12; p13; p 14; p15;

represents 4 lines of code since the synchronization character was used.
Those rules are to prevent things like a "one-line-script".

Everything else

This is what will be judged:

• 60% well use of the ABS's possibilities
  • 20% gameplay
  • 20% story, mapping, game details and everything else

As you can see, it's not too important to be a good mapper or story writer or anything else but to use your ABS well.

ABS downloads and links

You can download following ABSes. The specified version is the minimum version that you can use.

Of course, you are allowed to get and use any ABS that's not listed here without version limitation.

If you decide to sign up as judge, it's enough to post and to mention which ABS (if any) you have experience with.

If you decide to sign up as participant, it's the best if you fill out this form in order to provide all necessary information.

• Name: YOUR_NAME_OR_NICK
  • ABS used: ABS_NAME
  • E-mail: EMAIL
  • Forum where you are mainly active (just one): FORUM_NAME

You can find my e-mail in my profile. Any game that was sent past the end date and time will not enter the contest. You are allowed to send more than one version, though. That means that you can send your game and if you add something extra afterwards, you can send it again. I will ensure that the judges get your most recent version (the one you send last). I will attempt to answer any question that you have. Keep in mind that you can use the time until the contest starts for ideas about the game and general planning.

Contact information

You can find my e-mail in my profile. Any game that was sent past the end date and time will not enter the contest. You are allowed to send more than one version, though. That means that you can send your game and if you add something extra afterwards, you can send it again. I will ensure that the judges get your most recent version (the one you send last).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:44:13 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
you already know I'm in this one ;)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
TEAM FOXFIRE LIVES AGAIN!

You know that I'll be joining in this one, Blizzard. :3

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
NAMKCOR o/\o Zylos

Time trials seem to be our thing, eh Z?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Yeah, I'll update the first post so people know you're working together.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
You're going to let me judge whether you like it or not. I have tons of experience with every action battle system ever made.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Oh, you know how to work well with Zerizzacon? :V
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Well, I slept with the developer if that counts.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
The Wiz Kid On A Mission.
Yeah to XAS ABS!!!!!!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Yeah to XAS ABS!!!!!!

I notice -you- haven't signed up yet.
I also notice that nobody is using XAS ABS

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I got a sign up from CA for XAS. I hope more people sign up. :/

EDIT: BTW, anybody got an idea for a prize? All I got is a script request to me or $20 over PayPal. :X
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:15:56 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
lol make it a script request :3

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I was going for the money actually. ._.;
Visit our website.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Script request and nudes would probably be enough blizz <3
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
money would be easier for Blizz, but how many people do you think are old enough to have their own paypals?

I know I do, and Zylos..but does that mean you'd give us both $20? or that we'd split it $10/$10?

and what of the script request for teams?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This whole thing seems like some great feat of auto-fellatio. The whole point of it is to try and prove that your ABS is better than any other one? Seems quite self-indulgent to me, but what do I know?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I'd be happy to offer as a second or third prize a small script request done by me. If you want, that is.

@Holk - it does sort of give off that impression, but I don't think it's quite so egotistical. Most of the "debates" I've seen on other forums involving ABSes have a bunch of people giving really bad reasons for why a given ABS is better that, if you're a scripter, make absolutely no sense. Having to engage in those things must be a headache for Blizzard, so a contest like this at least gives a more objective criteria for evaluating ABSes that you don't need to be a scripter to make valid arguments from. I'm sure that he hopes that it will suggest his script is better, but a contest like this can't be used as objective proof because it depends a great deal on the game maker, not just the ABS. Thus, I don't think this contest can prove any given script is better, but it will certainly familiarize a lot of people with the different ABSes and help them choose what one is best for them. Hopefully, that will put an end to the silly debates and they can just be pointed to these games.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Yeah, that's more like it. Many people don't even know the variety of ABSes around. I think that people should be allowed to choose from a variety of ABSes that suits their needs and it doesn't have to be necessarily the best. One purpose of this contest is to advertise different ABSes among people.

And yes, modern, I can put up a small script request to you as second prize. xD

@Holk: You think I would PAY (in form of a prize for the winner) to prove that my ABS is "the best"? LOL!

@NAMK: Hm... I don't know... How about one script for one of your future games? That would be fair IMO.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:35:34 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
@NAMK: Hm... I don't know... How about one script for one of your future games? That would be fair IMO.

that sounds like it would be the best choice for a prize.
considering your renown as a scripter (at least here and at your forum, idk about .org since none of your scripts make it over there for obvious reasons) people would probably jump at the chance to pick up a free guaranteed request xD

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Alright, I put up a prize.
Visit our website.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
for your sake, I think you'd rather that Z and I don't win eh?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Kinda. ._.;;;
Visit our website.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'll enter if someone wants me on their team. I'll be graphical support and things of that nature (icons, sprites, tilesets, titlescreens, logos, animations, etc). Oh, and I'll make any kind of event systems if my future group would need some ._.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
@Holk: You think I would PAY (in form of a prize for the winner) to prove that my ABS is "the best"? LOL!

You say this like it's a thousand dollar giveaway. It's twenty bucks.

But anyway, I hope it goes well, whatever the motives. My money's on NAMKCOR and Zylos.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I live in a poor, East-European country, remember? ._. I can for a couple of days with $20. ;_; DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF THAT?! ;_;

EDIT: Not to mention that I am technically unemployed since I still go to college. ;_;
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:31:03 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.