RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Delete Account Please

fagmop
Rep:
Level 87
fagmop
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:17:40 AM by Kipe »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
A nice idea for a tutorial and a nice resource.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
It's very helpful, except do I have to make a minimap for all of my maps (which there's like 75 lol)?

Do you know a simpler way?
:P

Thank you so much!
I finally got it!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
would this work in VX?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
It's not bad. Only thing obviously different is the mapping technique, but you'll get used to that, and some of the events are different in a positive direction and then there's a couple of events missing. I tried this on VX and everything was working fine except that the cursor didn't move along with the character on screen. It stayed in the upper left hand corner of the minimap. It didn't move. I did double check all of the variables that you used here. I'm not very good with variables and honestly started learning them just a couple days ago through this and now I am a LOT better with them, however I'm still unsure how to get this to work. As my shortcut, I just got a minimap script from Wortana. Lol, works just as well, except that it's not an actual map, rather just a bunch of blocks that show the passability and nonpassability of the tiles on screen. Either way, I think that if you do get this method to work in VX I would still take the time to screenshot every map and make and event for it every time.

[Edit1]
HEY!

I got it to work!!! I found out why it wasn't working at all. It was the scripting error in VX. The * Variable was broken. After I fixed the script, everything started to work just fine. However, the math is off in VX. So I'll have to play with the numbers a little bit until I get the cursor in the correct of the map [over the picture of the map]. But just to let you know, this does work in VX.

[Edit2]
I got it to work perfectly!!!

I'm going to go make a tutorial on this for VX and give a hell of a lot of credit to you Kipe. This is nice and I'm glad I figured out how to use this in VX. Just to let you know, it's almost the exact same set up, just a couple numbers changed around in the variables.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:33:09 AM by grafikal007 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

That's great to hear! I'm glad you got it all working in VX. And also thank you, ahead of time, for the credit :)

You're welcome.

VX Tutorial for: [Event Tut] Creating a functional Mini-Map [VX]

Rep:
Level 87
RIP w-hat the fork
This makes me think of terrain tags to have the game make the map for me, instead of using a graphical image.
Huge sig is huuuuge.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
i created a map that's really big so if i zoom to 1/4 i cant see my whole map on the screen anyone know if it is possible to do this with more than 1 picture on 1 map?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I haven't done this in a while, nor used XP in even longer, but... Try taking a few screenshots of your map in 1/4 to cover it all. Then combine all the images as one. The ratio of movement on the minimap compared to yourself on the actual field should be the same. You'll just have a larger image in one of your screen corners.

i dont think that will work because you will only see my minimap on the screen....
its a 100x150 map so you will only see the mini map no real map :mex:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
lol yeah that's what i was afraid of. The only other option is to: Combine all 1/4 views of your map into one large one. Then scale it down by a certain %age like 50% or something, then go into the variable and change the math there for it. However, unless all your maps are like that, you would have to make a new common event to support just that map or just the larger ones with new variables. I don't know the math off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out for yourself, if you can't figure it out just try trial and error lol.

thanks i'm making the total map ight now and the math part wont be hard  ;8 im a math geek xD ;D