RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
We all love the internet <3 for now..

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
http://liveleak.com/view?i=11e_1204836963
-------------

A long read, but worth it if you care about the internet as you know it now:

What is this about?

When we log onto the Internet, we take a lot for granted. We assume we'll be able to access any Web site we want, whenever we want, at the fastest speed, whether it's a corporate or mom-and-pop site. We assume that we can use any service we like -- watching online video, listening to podcasts, sending instant messages -- anytime we choose.

What makes all these assumptions possible is Network Neutrality.

What is Network Neutrality?

Network Neutrality -- or "Net Neutrality" for short -- is the guiding principle that preserves the free and open Internet.

Put simply, Net Neutrality means no discrimination. Net Neutrality prevents Internet providers from speeding up or slowing down Web content based on its source, ownership or destination.

Net Neutrality is the reason why the Internet has driven economic innovation, democratic participation, and free speech online. It protects the consumer's right to use any equipment, content, application or service on a non-discriminatory basis without interference from the network provider. With Net Neutrality, the network's only job is to move data -- not choose which data to privilege with higher quality service.

Learn more in Net Neutrality 101.

Who wants to get rid of Net Neutrality?

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies -- including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner -- want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video -- while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services -- or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls -- and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

The big phone and cable companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars lobbying Congress and the Federal Communications Commission to gut Net Neutrality, putting the future of the Internet at risk.

Is Net Neutrality a new regulation?

Absolutely not. Net Neutrality has been part of the Internet since its inception. Pioneers like Vinton Cerf and Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, always intended the Internet to be a neutral network. And "non-discrimination" provisions like Net Neutrality have governed the nation's communications networks since the 1930s.

But as a consequence of a 2005 decision by the Federal Communications Commission, Net Neutrality -- the foundation of the free and open Internet -- was put in jeopardy. Now cable and phone company lobbyists are pushing to block legislation that would reinstate Net Neutrality.

Writing Net Neutrality into law would preserve the freedoms we currently enjoy on the Internet. For all their talk about "deregulation," the cable and telephone giants don't want real competition. They want special rules written in their favor.

Isn't the threat to Net Neutrality just hypothetical?

No. By far the most significant evidence regarding the network owners' plans to discriminate is their stated intent to do so.

The CEOs of all the largest telecom companies have made clear their intent to build a tiered Internet with faster service for the select few companies willing or able to pay the exorbitant tolls. Network Neutrality advocates are not imagining a doomsday scenario. We are taking the telecom execs at their word.

So far, we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. But numerous examples show that without network neutrality requirements, Internet service providers will discriminate against content and competing services they don't like. This type of censorship will become the norm unless we act now. Given the chance, these gatekeepers will consistently put their own interests before the public good.

The cable and telephone companies already dominate 98 percent of the broadband access market. And when the network owners start abusing their control of the pipes, there will be nowhere else for consumers to turn.

Isn't this just a battle between giant corporations?

No. Our opponents would like to paint this debate as a clash of corporate titans. But the real story is the millions of everday people fighting for their Internet freedom.

Small business owners benefit from an Internet that allows them to compete directly -- not one where they can't afford the price of entry. Net Neutrality ensures that innovators can start small and dream big about being the next EBay or Google without facing insurmountable hurdles. Without Net Neutrality, startups and entrepreneurs will be muscled out of the marketplace by big corporations that pay for a top spot on the Web.

If Congress turns the Internet over to the telephone and cable giants, everyone who uses the Internet will be affected. Connecting to your office could take longer if you don't purchase your carrier's preferred applications. Sending family photos and videos could slow to a crawl. Web pages you always use for online banking, access to health care information, planning a trip, or communicating with friends and family could fall victim to pay-for-speed schemes.

Independent voices and political groups are especially vulnerable. Costs will skyrocket to post and share video and audio clips, silencing bloggers and amplifying the big media companies. Political organizing could be slowed by the handful of dominant Internet providers who ask advocacy groups or candidates to pay a fee to join the "fast lane."

What else are the phone and cable companies not telling the truth about?

AT&T and others have funded a massive misinformation campaign, filled with deceptive advertising and "Astroturf" groups like Hands Off the Internet and NetCompetition.org.

Learn how to tell apart the myths from the realities in our report, Network Neutrality: Fact vs. Fiction.

What's at stake if we lose Net Neutrality?

The consequences of a world without Net Neutrality would be devastating. Innovation would be stifled, competition limited, and access to information restricted. Consumer choice and the free market would be sacrificed to the interests of a few corporate executives.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control -- deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

The free and open Internet brings with it the revolutionary possibility that any Internet site could have the reach of a TV or radio station. The loss of Net Neutrality would end this unparalleled opportunity for freedom of expression.

The Internet has always been driven by innovation. Web sites and services succeeded or failed on their own merit. Without Net Neutrality, decisions now made collectively by millions of users will be made in corporate boardrooms. The choice we face now is whether we can choose the content and services we want, or whether the broadband barons will choose for us.

http://www.wearetheweb.org
https://secure.freepress.net/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr007=1oftq56di3.app46b&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=162

Spread it around if you can, stand up for the internet.. some things should be free as they are!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5646/bannersupportbuttongi4.jpg

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh this was in Elitist Debate, lol. No wonder my post before got deleted >_> Anyways, I don't think they're going to get rid of Net Neutrality. If so, the world will end up and chaos and people will burn their ISPs and make their own. Or at least some form of radical protest. This is too much.

Plus, this will take too much work out of the ISPs. Are they even thinking about regulating each and every site that is to ever exist?

Finally, if they do it, goddamit. If all the ISPs do it, then we have nowhere to turn to for an alternative. Of course, some genius ISP could kinda do same prices, or something, and not go with this and make a bundle of money :3

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
You're late to this issue :/

There've already been like, what? 4, 5 attempts to pass bills concerning it? I don't really think it's much of anything to worry about anymore.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
You have to keep worried about it though- complacency leads to a lowered state of alertness, and that would allow someone to slip it in behind us. What if they were gonna pass it one day, and there was no public outcry to stop it, y'know?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
So their just pushing the time back untill they get it right? =/

And isnt 2012 the year the world is supposed to 'end' or somthing?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 King of RMRK2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
If you're Mayan.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
If you're Mayan.

The world was supposed to end in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 King of RMRK2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Don't be silly. The world was predicted to end several times way before that.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
You mean the world hasn't already ended?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
It has for several people.
They just seem to forget who the world ends for when claiming the world is about to end.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
I've already got 2012 figured out. By that year, I'll be more than old enough for rifles, and I'll be turning old enough for pistols. I'm going to organize an army, and if I'm not the ONLY American who still has his BALLS by that year, then lots of people will join me, and together, we'll take net neutrality back by FORCE!

But that's provided that I'm not the ONLY American who still HAS a pair by that year. If ISPs wanna push me, I'm gunna return fire, literally.

That is, unless things are handled peacefully. If there are a few companies around who DO provide net neutrality, and they don't charge more than the ones that don't, then I'll just make a switch to one of those companies and use picket signs and brochures to encourage everybody else to do the same.

Does anybody know the name of the guy who first thought up the idea of eliminating net neutrality? I want to assassinate him.

That's bullshit you won't do a damn thing.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I've already got 2012 figured out. By that year, I'll be more than old enough for rifles, and I'll be turning old enough for pistols. I'm going to organize an army, and if I'm not the ONLY American who still has his BALLS by that year, then lots of people will join me, and together, we'll take net neutrality back by FORCE!

But that's provided that I'm not the ONLY American who still HAS a pair by that year. If ISPs wanna push me, I'm gunna return fire, literally.

That is, unless things are handled peacefully. If there are a few companies around who DO provide net neutrality, and they don't charge more than the ones that don't, then I'll just make a switch to one of those companies and use picket signs and brochures to encourage everybody else to do the same.

Does anybody know the name of the guy who first thought up the idea of eliminating net neutrality? I want to assassinate him.

That's bullshit you won't do a damn thing.
Tch.
I never said I was going to assassinate him. I just said I wanted to.
We need to go politics with this. Force won't win.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 98
If you create an "army" to take down Net Neutrality, that is a clear violation and attack on American soil and will be dealt with by the U.S. Military. Guns you can buy from a gunstore is nothing to guns that can literally shoot you in half. Also you DID say you wanted to create an militia and take down any buildings or opposition from Net Neutrality. That is why I said you were full of shit. There is no reason to take it by force if they didn't take by force in the first place. This can, and I am assuming will, be taken peacefully and Net Neutrality will not last long.

Rep:
Level 98
If you create an "army" to take down Net Neutrality, that is a clear violation and attack on American soil and will be dealt with by the U.S. Military. Guns you can buy from a gunstore is nothing to guns that can literally shoot you in half. Also you DID say you wanted to create an militia and take down any buildings or opposition from Net Neutrality. That is why I said you were full of shit. There is no reason to take it by force if they didn't take by force in the first place. This can, and I am assuming will, be taken peacefully and Net Neutrality will not last long.

Take down net neutrality!?

I'm sorry. I thought you had to know how to READ to become a moderator. I said I wanted to take BACK net neutrality. Net neutrality is the GOOD thing. Net neutrality is the thing that ALLOWS us to go to any site we want to. Why on earth would I be taking it DOWN? Net neutrality is the thing that is in danger! Net neutrality is the good thing that needs saving!

And puhleez. If you can HIT your target, pretty much any gun will do the trick. You don't need a fancy cannon sniper rifle, you just need a gun that will do the job.

And apparently you don't know how big I would make this force. American soldiers are not super soldiers. There is strength in numbers, and I believe that there are more good people than evil ones, which is why my force would be far, far bigger.

And like I ALREADY SAID, the force tactic is my last resort. I believe that net neutrality will be kept safe. I believe that other ISPs will provide net neutrality because they will see that people want it, and they'll see money in giving us our freedom back. And when that happens, I'll probably just encourage other people to make the switch to the good ISPs that still provide net neutrality.

Here we go again.

Stop saying things like "by 2012 i'm going to make an army and take back net neutrality by force!" And then turn around and change what you said. I don't think a .30-.30 rifle or a 9mm pistol can pierce Dragonskin Vests, And trust me, if you create any sort of "militia" for the internet, you're going to be met with opposition and taken down no matter what. If you have been paying attention to the ratio of casualties in this current war, it's very, very unbalanced.

United States                Opposition
Military casualties       Military casualties
~27,700 dead        ~54,114 to 58,864+ dead

What I am trying to say is that you said by 2012 if there was no net neutrality then you would take it back by force, verbatim;

And although you said that would be your resort if it didn't go down peacefully, and saying if they didn't, then guess what? You said you were going by force, and within 30 minutes of the first shot fired, SWAT teams and more than likely the military will be all over your small militia using nerve gas and live fire if fired upon. You would be considered a terrorist and have more chance of being on death row than in prison for life. That is why I said it was bullshit and you won't do a damn thing because you would be taken down seeing as anyone who cares about the internet so much to pick up arms and fight against fully trained soldiers is about 1 in ten thousand, let alone getting everyone willing to fight for it in one place. You cannot take it back by force. This isn't about people being evil or good, because you can't expect the forces of Babylon to rise up and fight along side you because nobody is going to fight for you. Personally I would be happier to be the ones taking down those who are hostile against network companies than to be someone trying to take them down.

Also this has nothing to do with me being a moderator, how about you drop that all together because that is just insulting me.

Also: Excuse me for mistyping. I mean to say taking back but that isn't reason to capitalize on because it was a small meaningless mistake.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:35:33 PM by Anski »

Rep:
Level 98
And puhleez. If you can HIT your target, pretty much any gun will do the trick. You don't need a fancy cannon sniper rifle, you just need a gun that will do the job. You can buy semi-automatic assault rifles and modify them for full auto. I know a guy who does that all the time. You can still get Uzis and Tec 9s. And pistols will do the trick so long as nobody fights alone. They won't be able to take our superior numbers. They won't be able to fire at us because they won't be given the chance to. There will be too many bullets flying for them to emerge from cover safely. You really don't know anything about guns do you? I didn't either... at first. But in the last few months, I've been meeting all kinds of experts, and the things I learned gave me a better idea if what's REAL about them. The army isn't issued guns that can blow you in half. I don't know where you got the idea that such guns even exist. Just recently, a full auto grenade launcher was invented, but those things aren't going to become standard issue.

Double post for weapons clarity;

And puhleez. If you can HIT your target, pretty much any gun will do the trick.

Do work son; bullet proof vests aren't all exactly the same.

You can buy semi-automatic assault rifles and modify them for full auto. I know a guy who does that all the time.

Good luck with buying that much ammo. If you buy an assault rifle then stock it full of ammo the gunstore will more than likely call the cops.

You can still get Uzis and Tec 9s. And pistols will do the trick so long as nobody fights alone.

No, no they wont.

They won't be able to take our superior numbers. They won't be able to fire at us because they won't be given the chance to. There will be too many bullets flying for them to emerge from cover safely.

I'd feel pretty safe wearing nothing but pants, some sort of helmet and a type III vest.

You really don't know anything about guns do you? I didn't either... at first. But in the last few months, I've been meeting all kinds of experts, and the things I learned gave me a better idea if what's REAL about them.

Did you really just say I don't know anything about guns. I study weaponry, I have books on all types of weapons, I know gun calibers, bullet structure, gun structure, rate of fire and all of that jazz. I haven't said anything about knowledge of weapons other than light machine guns can tear you in half because my grandfather was a veteran in Vietnam and he watched as a machine gun tore someone in half from across a field. They have been able to do that since World War 2.

The army isn't issued guns that can blow you in half. I don't know where you got the idea that such guns even exist. Just recently, a full auto grenade launcher was invented, but those things aren't going to become standard issue.

Do work son; read up on light machine guns because I know they have been used in combat nearly 100 times a week. Also auto grenade launcher was made atleast a year ago.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll

I'm sorry. I thought you had to know how to READ to become a moderator. I said I wanted to take BACK net neutrality. Net neutrality is the GOOD thing. Net neutrality is the thing that ALLOWS us to go to any site we want to. Why on earth would I be taking it DOWN? Net neutrality is the thing that is in danger! Net neutrality is the good thing that needs saving!

And puhleez. If you can HIT your target, pretty much any gun will do the trick. You don't need a fancy cannon sniper rifle, you just need a gun that will do the job. You can buy semi-automatic assault rifles and modify them for full auto. I know a guy who does that all the time. You can still get Uzis and Tec 9s. And pistols will do the trick so long as nobody fights alone. They won't be able to take our superior numbers. They won't be able to fire at us because they won't be given the chance to. There will be too many bullets flying for them to emerge from cover safely. You really don't know anything about guns do you? I didn't either... at first. But in the last few months, I've been meeting all kinds of experts, and the things I learned gave me a better idea if what's REAL about them. The army isn't issued guns that can blow you in half. I don't know where you got the idea that such guns even exist. Just recently, a full auto grenade launcher was invented, but those things aren't going to become standard issue.

And apparently you don't know how big I would make this force. American soldiers are not super soldiers. There is strength in numbers, and I believe that there are more good people than evil ones, which is why my force would be far, far bigger.

And like I ALREADY SAID, the force tactic is my last resort. I believe that net neutrality will be kept safe. I believe that other ISPs will provide net neutrality because they will see that people want it, and they'll see money in giving us our freedom back. And when that happens, I'll probably just encourage other people to make the switch to the good ISPs that still provide net neutrality.
Dude Marines and Army Rangers are fucking beasts, you wouldn't be able to lift a finger before a marine sniper blows off 10 of your guys heads and the rangers run in cleaving you to bits with m4's. Also, you are forgetting if you decide to make your base in the united states you will be treated as a terrorist and charged with treason. If you are in the city, expect some FBI/SWAT squad to buttrape you with flash grenades and tear gas while they run in guns a blazing. If you are out in the middle of nowhere expect to be clusterfucked by the air force. Picking a fight with one of the most well trained/organized armies on the planet on its own grounds is called suicide mate.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'd feel pretty safe wearing nothing but pants, some sort of helmet and a type III vest.
If you get shot in the thigh and it hits your femoral artery, you're pretty much dead.
* Arlen chimes in and walks out. :3

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
If you get shot in the thigh and it hits your femoral artery, you're pretty much dead.
Now Animefan's entire militia is going to aim for the thigh and get headshotted when they realize the legs are behind a SWAT shield

Rep:
Level 98

lol ilu arlen ;_;

I meant to say armored pants. I'd still pretty safe if animefan was shooting.

Rep:
Level 89
The army isn't issued guns that can blow you in half. I don't know where you got the idea that such guns even exist. Just recently, a full auto grenade launcher was invented, but those things aren't going to become standard issue.
The Barrett M468 Assault Rifle can blow someone in half.
Spoiler for:
The bullets(not sure)
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 97
You could stab someone with those bullets .-.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant

Dude Marines and Army Rangers are fucking beasts, you wouldn't be able to lift a finger before a marine sniper blows off 10 of your guys heads and the rangers run in cleaving you to bits with m4's. Also, you are forgetting if you decide to make your base in the united states you will be treated as a terrorist and charged with treason. If you are in the city, expect some FBI/SWAT squad to buttrape you with flash grenades and tear gas while they run in guns a blazing. If you are out in the middle of nowhere expect to be clusterfucked by the air force. Picking a fight with one of the most well trained/organized armies on the planet on its own grounds is called suicide mate.

My cousin is an Army Ranger.

But seriously, Animefan, do you REALLY think that a bunch of vigilantes could take down one of the world's best fighting forces?

Rep:
Level 97

Hi there see those helmets, they stop bullets.
Now unless your whole rebellion consists of these guys

you're fucked.

10,000 civilians wouldn't be able to lift a finger against the hundreds of thousands of soldiers the U.S. has.
Even if you outnumbered the opposing force by 10 to 1, the army has superior weapons, air support, structure, they are actually trained, body armor, and ready to buttrape. If you honestly think we only win wars because we outnumber the opposing side you haven't seen the death tolls from Iraq. We take out like 20 of them for every one of us that dies.

It's not about us not having balls, its about us not being retarded and retaliating against our own government. Just because in your fancy little animes shit like this can happen doesn't mean its going to work in real life. You need to grow up and get out of your mindset that the world revolves around you. A teenage kid from Maine cannot change the world, you can't change the united states, you can't change anything. Politicians and their armies rule this side of the galaxy and small civil uprisings aren't even thorn in their side. You will be taken out with precision and efficiency if you even make a peep about opposing the government.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:23:40 PM by Dr_Sword »