RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Using XP charsets

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
I have tried importing a XP charset into VX, but of course, since the characters are different it didn't work. I Googled this and found a tutorial which suggested getting rid of one of the "facing forward" columns, which I did -- but it still didn't work. Several sources said that adding "$" to the filename made VX recognize the file type as a more antique (haha) charset, but it's still not working (I renamed my file char$.png from char.png, if that helps any!).
How to do this? My character sets still won't work. Help, please!

(This is particularly urgent as the charset in question envolved several hours of work on my part  :tpg:)

Thanks in advance!

Rep:
Level 86
I rename them $titlehere.png and they seem to work fine for me. Have you tried that?

Rep:
Level 86
From the VX help file.

Characters (Graphics/Characters)
These files contain character graphics for the map screen.

The size for 1 character includes 4 directions (down, left, right, and up) and 3 patterns for a total of 12 patterns in a set order. One file should contain 2 characters vertically and 4 horizontally, for a total of 8 characters. The size of one character is calculated to be 1/12 the width and 1/8 the height of this file.

Note that in order to make overlapping with buildings appear more natural, characters are displayed 4 pixels above the tiles.

• You can disable this effect by putting a "!" at the beginning of the file name. This is mainly used for object-type characters on the map, such as doors and treasure chests. It is possible to use this in conjunction with the special symbol "$".
  • If you put a "$" at the beginning of the file name, only one character per file will be used. In this case, the character size is 1/3 the width and 1/4 the height of the file. It is possible to use this in conjunction with the special symbol "!".

This is what i started with:

What I did was to crop out the left most neutral frame, so my file was looking like right leg out, neutral, left leg out.  Then I made sure the remaining frames were how the measurements were listed for using the $ at the start of my file.  Each frame needs to be 1/3rd the width of the total file's width size, and the height of each frame was 1/4th the total file's height size.  An example would be if my file size was 93 pixels wide by 192 pixels high, each frame of my character must be 31 pixels wide by 48 pixels high.

Here's an example of what i mean:

This is XP character I made on http://www.geocities.jp/kurororo4/looseleaf/ and rezised to fix the size VX needed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:25:44 PM by Garge »

What's with these people?!?
Don't the standing sprites need to be on the left, and not the middle?

Rep:
Level 86
Nope.  The game reads it starting from the Middle, then Left, back to Middle, then Right, back to Middle again  and so on.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:41:37 PM by Garge »

What's with these people?!?
Hmm, I never happened to notice that.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Mm, and if you wanted to keep the 4 frames, you could use my Extra Movement Frames Script in the database.

Of course, you don't really need any more than 3 frames for human charsets - it's really intended for monsters. Might save some trouble though