RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Putting Together a Good Game Part 2a - The Database

Rep:
Level 90
Just mentioning this tutorial does NOT tell you how certain things in the database work (Example, setting array size) if you want to know how to naviagate the database I suggest you look at Zxmelees video tutorials!
In Part 1 of the database tutorial we shall look at just Hero's and Items. The rest shall be covered in the next tutorial!
Also this tutorial shows you a good, easy order in which to make things!

Planning The Database

Database? WTF  :whoa:
Once your game has been planned, and you know most of the stuff thats going in your game, its time to work on the database. The Database is vital to your game, it contains all playable characters, weapons, spells, monstors, pretty much everything thats in your game!

The Hero's Tab
We shall start with the hero's tab. This is pretty basic, yet very important. This is where you set your hero's names and such! Begin by setting how many hero's you want in your party, use the array size tool for this! Lets just say we want two hero's in our game. For the first hero we shall set his/her name, consult your game plan for this! Ignore the hero class for now.
 Now set a Minimum, and maximum level for your hero. Most RPG's I have played, have thier hero's starting level as 3, but it depends on what your hero's occupation is really!
Once this is done we shall select a graphic, this is very important as the graphic affects the hero class! If your hero's class is fighter, and the graphic has a spear, its going to be a bit strange. So think carefully when setting your hero's graphics.
Now we need to set our hero's stats. First off, HP! Dont have your character starting off with 1000 HP because it just lowers the quality of the game! Think about the hero's background. Not to be sexist or anything but in most RPG's the women tend to be weaker then men! Put stuff like that to mind!
After setting all your hero's stats and such, your ready to move on to the items tab.
(I'll say again, this is in no particular order, its just a simple way to set the database!)

The Items Tab
This is a list of all basic items in your game. They can be split into categorys, Medicene, Seed and Event Item.
Medicene is stuff that can heal, or help your party members in battle. For example the most common in all RPG's a potion, a basic healing item, and is normally very cheap! The healing items that are most commonly found in RPG's are, Poions, Ethers, Elixers, Fenix Downs, Antidotes, and pures!
We already know the property of potions. Ethers are used to restore magic power, try not to use these names, think of something yourself, like... umm... Mana Drink, or, Magic Herb! Elixers tend to cure all magic and health. Pheonix downs revive dead party members!
Think about how much each medicene heals. If your party member has 150 starting health and a basic potion heals 130, it will make the game to simple, if your character has 130 health, a nice amount of HP to heal with a basic potion is 25-50! Think about stuff like that, same goes for magic power!

Now lets look at seeds. They are things that give you a certain status, for example a life seed, will inflict a status on you that will give you health every 2 turns or something! Simple ey? Use your imagination with them, they dont even need to be called seeds, why not orb, or ring?

Finally Event Items. An event item is something that you must have to proceed in the game, unless the item is for a sub-quest or something!
For example, you see a king, he asks you to deliver a message to his dear friend. The mesage will be the event item! Easy as that!

Ok, thats enough of the tutorial today, my fingers hurt from typing to much XD!
I shall cover everything else in my next tutorial:

Putting Together a Good Game Part 2b - The Database

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Cool..except...the last part where u wrote [size=18-large] n all
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
I dont know what your talking about LOL
 :roll:  :lol:

im guessing..He wants to read more.Not wait for a damn tutorial.That zure is tireless :whoa:

Rep:
Level 89
The Knight Sabers Shall hunt thine adversaries.
hwow, that was quicker than i thought, but i waited a shorter time. any more sequels?