RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Cave Tutorial

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Remember, These Tutorials are very simple. They are for beginners, but pros could watch to ;8

Yeah, I know people. Caves is....a hell to map with. But don't worry. I will try to explain a simple way with this tutorial.

Cave Tutorial

Map Type: Earth Cave

Map Size: 20X15

Let's start then.

Simple as it can be, start like this.

First Of all, I would probably suggest to start with cliff walls, and stuff like that. In other map types, I awlays starts with roads, and rivers, but not in caves. When I start with walls, I know exactly where to go next.

Now, make entrance and the exit, just where you want to have it.

Now, into details. Just like in other maps, I love details. Use them. Let your mind play with it.

And now, another exampel of my maps.( I used this map when I seeked as the mapper teacher on this site.

I hope it was simple.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
small, simple, EFFECTIVE! nice tutorial ^^ cave room looks great.
Just a few more steps like how to build the walls would help the truly new at rpgmaker users.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's a good tutorial. My only criticism is that it doesn't show all the elements of cave design, i.e. it's a single room, and you don't show how to maximize space in a narrow passageway. One thing you could also do is explain how to use terrain to make interesting puzzles in a cave, something which is common and great. But it is definitely a good tutorial.

Rep:
Level 87
modern algebra - do you have links to any tutorials that DO show how to maximize space in a narrow passageway, or other things you mentioned?  I did Blizzard's tutorial which was great, but all my caves are pretty spacious and where I get into the smaller areas is where it becomes slow going!

Black Shadow - soooooo glad you said you normally start with roads/rivers/etc except in caves - I learned caves first got pretty comfortable with them, then was disappointed when I really struggled trying to take the same approach on the outdoors maps.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.