RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Mapping Tutorial: Ship Tileset.

If Ham didn't taste like Ham, I would hope it tasted like turkey
Rep:
Level 88
>:O
OK, this is going to be my first tutorial on here.  I will attempt to teach people how to make a ship using the RTP tileset.  I've seen Nouman's tutorial and the comments, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

OK, here we go.

Step One:

Start out making a new map, I made mine 40x50. Fill the 1st layer with the water tile.

Spoiler for:

Step Two:

Next you'll want to make the front of the boat.  Switch to the 2nd layer for this.

(note you will have fool around with the tiles, its not a drag and drop, you have to make it a little wider)
You'll also want to try to remove the shadows on the right side of the boat. you can do that using this tile.

Spoiler for:

Step Three:

Then you'll want to put the sides and rear of your boat on. I'm sure you've all noticed how the rear doesn't line up with the rest of the boat. So my fix to this is this.

Spoiler for:

Now, you'll notice I switched to the 3rd layer for that one railing. 

So far our ship should look something like this.

Spoiler for:

Step Four:

Switch back to the first layer and fill in the boat floor. 

Spoiler for:

Step Five:

Now we'll start to add some sails. I also want some layers on my ship, just to change it up a bit. To do this switch to the 2nd layer.

Spoiler for:

Step Six:

Now we need a place for the captain to steer the ship.  Let's add a little place for that. Do this using the 2nd layer for the area, and the 3rd layer for the wheel and stairs.

Spoiler for:

Step Seven:

Now using the 3rd layer add items around the ship.  We're gonna need some lights, cannons, barrels, jars, maybe a life preserve or two, and some life boats if you wish.  Feel free to play around with the rest of the tiles as well.

Spoiler for:

Step Eight:

Now add some people, and other events around the ship.  Here's the finished ship.

Spoiler for:

Now I'll show you each layer.

Layer One

Spoiler for:

Layer Two

Spoiler for:

Layer Three

Spoiler for:

Any questions/comments post here.  I'm hoping to do more tutorials, so any and all feedback is appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:36:51 AM by Jalkson »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Pretty good, except, I've never been on a ship with a back like that.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Excellent! thanks alot man, I can get rid of my crappy one xD
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Pretty good, except, I've never been on a ship with a back like that.

Nor have I, I just think it looks better than the back not lining up at all.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
True. Maybe someone should fix that >_>
I'm on it!

Rep:
Level 88
True. Maybe someone should fix that >_>
I was thinking the same thing, except I've never attempted to edit a tileset.

Excellent! thanks alot man, I can get rid of my crappy one xD

Thanks Nouman, I'm in the tutorial index now. :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:56:02 AM by Jalkson »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Wow. I like this! I've never seen this kind of boat (like said) in a game, but I think there are ships like this in real life. The only thing I didn't like was the shadow on the front on the left, because it kind of curved. Could that be fixed? Or is the tileset just gay?

Rep:
Level 88
I tried to find a way to fix that, but this tileset is just really odd.  In order for the shadow on the left side to be right you'd have to use the drag and drop front end.  Which makes a really small boat.

Rep:
Level 88
Is this tut really that bad?  :-X

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
no, people don't like to reply on stuff they find helpful. 80 views not bad for a new tut at all.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Guess not.   :P

Rep:
Level 88
112 views and 4 replies. I'm wondering if this is at least helping people?  Or are people just looking at it and going "WTF?!? oh ma gawd thatz horriblez"?

:police:

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Ths tutorial is very helpfull, since I must do many ships in my pirate game, nad Im very bad on making ships ;D

Well done. This will help me very much 8)

Rep:
Level 88
Glad I could help. Thanks for the comment.   ;)

Rep:
Level 87
This tutorial is really helpful. I especially liked the solution for the back of the ship, it was giving me problems too. Thanks!

Rep:
Level 88
Yea, that was one of the main reasons I did this tutorial, I read alot of complaints about the back of the ships not lining up.  That is a much easier solution that editing the tilset, seeing as how I've never done that.  Glad to know people are getting some use out of this.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
This is pretty good, I like how the design is some sort of never before seen one. Maybe you should make a tut index once you've done more and get Nouman *hint hint* to sticky them for you =D

~Winged

Rep:
Level 83
Thank, this was extremely helpful to me, I've been having trouble with boats for a long time and this made a difference.
Projects:
ProjectAstura(Rmxp)
Illian Online(vbGore)
ProlengaEngine/UrbaniaOnline(Custom MUD Engine)
Infraelly(MMORPG Development Engine)
Kandora (Graal-Reborn Server)

Rep:
Level 102
While posting in an old tutorial thread isn't going to hurt anyone, posting in a thread that hasn't been posted in for 2 years without anything more than a thank you isn't really necessary. Try not to make a habit out of it. :]