RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Making an "Ohw my gawd town on fire i need to put it out" system

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Well this is my second tut WEEEEE

Here I will try to teach you how to make an fire extinguisher.
By an request of DaleStrickland ;)

It might look like its alot but its okay.

First we want to make an fountain that will gain us the ability to get water.. not ?
Well i guess so, unless it's near a sea or river but its still the same.

Well than lets begin with our first step.

1. We need to make a new Item Called " extinguisher/water bucket "
-  So we go to our database ( F9 )now open the Items tab and create a new item (by changing      maximum/increase array way down at the list and make it bigger )
and set all like in the picture. ( I made it in the first array but It is not neccesary if   you would put it like in array 100 its the same.) Make sure its not consumable.

Picture 1
Spoiler for:

Now we have created a Bucket. Yaaay :)
If you want to have an effect of a bucket that can be used twice, ( example I put the fire out with my bucket and I will gain a half full bucket. )

Time for the fountain.
2. We need a fountain that will get us the water.
-  So make a new event on your map.
-  Now look at picture 2 and you might see I used some variables, don't worry I will try to explain it all the best I can.

Picture 2
Spoiler for:

As seen in the picture we first make a choice if the water wants to be refilled.
If Yes, A variable will be added by 1 and after the Variable it checks how big it is.
A simple picture just do it like here..
Set it to ADD 1 and to a new Variable at Single doesnt matter where As long its a new one that is not used yet and give it a name.

Picture 3
Spoiler for:

Now lets go to conditional branch.

Picture 4
Spoiler for:

It checks if the Variable set in the variable we set before is less than 3 so we can set our options for the limit of the bucket.Don't forget to check the box at the bottom to ON.
We do want a limit not ? because If you have to much buckets where is the fun of letting the player do all the work ?.

Simply put in a confermative tekst message to say you have gained some new water.
next - Change items [Water Bucket], + 1 
to add the water bucket.

Now we will continue to the Else handler.
Text message:You can't carry anymore water.
Control Variables: [XXX: Maximum of water] = 2

Where XXX put in the array your variable is stored
End of the fountain Event :o  Might look allot but its because i brable allot.

And finnaly the flame's
We are almost done ;)  Just some more of my brable so i will be sure you understand it .

Picture 5
Spoiler for:

Well as you see again we use variables.
First we start simple again just some text and a choice.
I think you might know how it works now.

Now we use another Conditional branch.
Conditional branch:[Water Bucket] in Inventory
I'm assuming u might know how Conditional branches work now.
so just make it so it will check if player has the item Water Bucket in inventory.

and after that.
Change Items: [Water Bucket], - 1
Control Variables: [XXX: Maximum of Water] -= 1 Subtract the Water Variable by 1
Text: Water extinguished

Now we are going to make a new variable and set it to 0
Control Variables: [XXX: Fire out] += 1
This variable will be added when it is extinguished and will be very useful in the end if you need to make a sort of system where you need to extinguish all of the fire in a map ( don't forget to name and remember how much you will use this event.

Time for our first Switch :o
Control self switch:A =ON

Else Handler = Text make something up as "no water" or Its too hot "

Branch End

When [No]
Text: Did not put out fire.

Make a second page and set condition to Self Switch A = ON.
Only Event on this page can be Erase event parallel process to reduce lag.
END OF FIRE EVENT ( YOU CAN NOW COPY, PASTE THIS FIRE EVENT ALL OVER THE MAP IF YOU LIKE )

Whew We are done !!!

No wait..
We forgot the ending sequence of our map if you want it though..
Remember i put in a variable that counts how many fire we had putted out?
Well simply make that Event and make a Conditional Branch as followed in the pic.
Picture 6
Spoiler for:

Make the greater than or equal to to the number of fire you want to be putten out and now put an ELSE handler to say "Take out the fire you moron "
Or if you like something else do that.

Thanks for reading my Tutorial I try'd to explain everything the best i could if im missing something please tell
and If you need to tell me something do tell.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Phew finnaly done.
Oh, I also included a demo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:03:56 AM by Snailer »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Great tutorial, man. Good for people who don't know how to use variables....who doesn't know how to use variables? Ha.... :'(

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol. Nice renaming of the topic. And this is actually so simple to do! XD But, some people need help. Nice tutorial, though.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Yo!
Thanks for the help Snailer:), now to see if I can get this working:D! ;8
What if you could make farting noises with your eyeballs...!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
No problem, !
And if something is not working please tell me what happened and MAYbe if possibble post your demo so I can see what happened and I can rejust my Tut

Yo!
Uh...just one problem, okay, so the water-fire thing worked out, but my character can still go into the building while its on fire, even though he didnt put out ANY fires! Nice tut btw!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Okay I see what you did wrong

Make the tent entrance an event and put the Variable that counts the flames that were put out as an CONDITIONAL BRANCH

like that  but make the 8 bigger as you have more flames
and put in the ELSE handler a message that you cant enter yet AND NOTHING ELSE
+ in the Conditional handler put the teleport event..

Or other said The ELSE happens when the fires havent beed putten out.
The lines RIGHt after the conditional branch ( just in front of the ELSE )
will be activated when the flames are putted out.

Yo!
oopsie, I just sent you a PM asking for help..jsut ignore it..

Yo!
Ive tried without water, it says I need more water, I got water,  and it still says I need more, I keep on tryign for who knows how long and still...NOTHING! Help:(!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
wait.. In the PM you send me the variables showd 0 are all your variables zero ?

And I dont have time to go through my Tutorial now and see if i did something wrong.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
lol yes i see you havent used the variables right Shall i fix them for you right away ?

Yo!
If you dont mind:)!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Okay I fixed DaleStrickland's problem he got the Variable's wrong :P
So be sure to check them !

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Picture 6 was bugged, re-uploaded.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol it still seems to be bugged.

EDIT: Nvm. It's working now.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I haven't seen you for awhile Snailer

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I haven't seen you for awhile Snailer
Im back =D
and still luving u <3