RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ask professor kathis about event help for rpg maker 2000/2003/PK/XP

Rep:
Level 88
Greetings and welcome to my tutorial conner where I am allowed to be crasy and have you learn something. I would like to point out that the name of my class how no PATICLULAR rpg marked to it. IT is universal lesson that you can find working in ANY rpg maker series. Also please not that you are not allowed to throw paper airplanes pencils at my ceiling and or paper balls at me. But Mr. Kathis why? Becasue it took me forever to clean up the mess and I am still having issues with throwing gum at me, a lot of it got in my hair. So without further adue I will start my teaching. Also please note if I give a screen shot its because words makde my tounge tie and I was unable to speak it or too many people question it. so lets get started.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:25:59 AM by kathis »
Project
New project. The other dimention DND
RPG makers challenge http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13503.0.html

Rep:
Level 88
Doors of any kind what a lovely concept but I will make this clear if something doesn't match the same in ether rpg makers I'll do it twice with a different color for you and please remember images make me cry...Students of my class you will be quized on this.

First make an event that will be where your door is ((remember door graphics will cover 2 titles.))  next go choose a door graphic, these are located in the character set known as object 1.

Make this event , trigger condtion, Action key

Time for the commands.

select sound effect  select ether open1, or open2 ((or what ever sounds good. for a door opening))

next select an move event (both rpg makers has this on page 2 of their event commands)
at the top select where it says "hero" change it to "this event"
follow this order for the movements

face down
wait
face right
wait
face up
wait
face left
wait

----------[rpg maker XP]----------
Rpg makers character tiles aren't very nice and are different from the first two makers, still move event, but different commands this is what is should look like.

face down
wait 5
face left
wait 5
face right
wait 5
face up
wait 5

you may now contiune with your lesson
--------[this has been a change in rgp maker xp]------

After that hit ok

then make a teleport command to where you want this door to move you.

that covers that style of door this is very nice for doors to houses on the outside. Uhh Mr.Kathis...I was wondering if I had a locked door and they needed a key how would I do that? Very simple

make a fork condition (page to say if a person has the "key" (asuming its an item) in their inventory make an else statment for this. If they do you do add in that part of the fork what we did above if not then include this in the else condition

play sound effect that is suited for a locked door

show message: " this is locked"

end

unless you have the key in your inventory you won't beable to open the door and keep getting the locked message. that should cover it[due to bagdering and people failing to understand that most of this is a test (see below) I have came to the conclution of showing the first one on ALL 4 projects as screenshots. The last one is a test sorry people but that won't be revealed untill my NEW students finish it. ^_^ please everyone give a nice welcome to John alright here are your pictures

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:

PK!
Spoiler for:

XP
Spoiler for:

WOW I can feel the imagery of the pictures melting into my brain so I know exactly what to do...

and besides this also covers my screenshots for the next post below this -_- this is going to be hell when I get to things like chests, and monster respawning isn't it?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:51:35 AM by kathis »
Project

Rep:
Level 88
Mr. Kathis I am having problems finding all the options for my event commands I don't even know how to make this work. Ya I use rpg maker XP and she uses 2000 and he uses 2003 our event windows are not the same order and I am lost. can you help us go through this? What you want me to work? fine I suppose I should but you all will be tested on this -_-

-------------------[ The layout of the event ]---------------------------

Alright we are going to make this easy on you all first we will in order of the window,  Preconditions, trigger, graphic, movement, and animation, THEN we will do commands.  here is my color code for you if its red then it means it's for rpg maker XP only If its orange then its for rpg maker 2003 only if its green then its for rpg maker 2000 only anything else like my normal font color means its for ALL , of course names might be different in that case I'll have a / and the correct color name so not to confuse you. Alright time for my hell...

Push F7/ F8 to get to the event page

NAME = the name of the event other wise it will be its event id number

New page / new event page = This will add another page for this event meaning it can have a different graphic different condtions before it loads different way to have its triggers set ect.

copy page/ Copy event page = This will copy the entire page that you currently have selected.

Paste page / paste event page = This will copy the ENTIRE page that you have cut or pasted very helpful if you need to reorganise your pages.

deleate page / deleate event page = This will remove the entire page from the event.

Clear event page = This will work just like deleat page but it will not deleate the page just remove all information from it.

Preconditions / Event conditions

- These are the criteria that must be met before the event will load this page.

Switch - Switch is a very handy way of turning on and off events, just think of a light switch when we mention switch.

Switch - same as switch just an option to have a second one.

Varible - Varbiles are numbers stared in a database, each varible has its own little cubby hole so to say, and will look in its area for the number when you call upon it.

- greater than or equal to - this is the defult  condition of relationship to the number. in rpg maker 2003 they have the option to change the setting of the way the number must compare to the varible. be it > , <, = , <=, >= ,=/= (not equal to)   In the other rpg makers you can only have it above  so  Varible one > X

-Input your number this number will be your conparasion to the varible.

--------the next few are not included in rpg maker xp -----

The Item condition will look to see if the party has an certain item in their inventory

The Hero  condtion will look to see if a hero is currently in the party

The Timer 1 will check to see if the current timer is lower then the set time (what you set) This one will look at ONLY TIMER 1 ( I don't know how many times I had to say that over and over again >< )

Timer 2 will do the same as timer 1 but will look at ONLY TIMER 2.

Local switch, unlike the other rpg makers you have a new option this local switch can reach to 4 switches that work on that map only, also unlike normal switches these will reset to off when you leave the map.  I don't usally suggesst them. They seem to be more trouble then they are worth at least with me anyway.

----XP is now inclued with the others again ----

This will be added on to later I need to go do some other tasks *returns* due to some people pointing out the PK version of XP is different from the orignal in termanology also. So I'll have to choose a color for it too...saddly.. it will be purple. blue is my color no one takes the teachers color

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:54:08 PM by kathis »
Project

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Sweet, but I think you should include a few screenshots and/or pictures. It always makes it look more attractive. ^__^
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Yea, and plese add [RM@K3] to title. =D also it would be great if both were in the first topic, or if " feildmaster's" post wasn't in the center. =D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
We already have a door tutorial with screen shots!
RAWR!
But, good work.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
this is for rm2k3 users...probally the same but its a request form me to make these for 2k3 users/

Rep:
Level 88
Hell... What did I mess up now... I'm Back!
lol. ;D

I'll go delete my post.. =P
----Current Games working on----
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Feildmaster Productions
Made By One Man Run by the Same...
Making Games for Everyone...
Oh yeah, and everything else web based
For a charge... Of course...

Rep:
Level 88
><! ok first thing first, this is a GENERAL guild to events. That means all 3 ...though I really dispise the fact that XP and PK are still different from each other. -_- in terminalagy , I am trying to figure out should I go through the reveiw alphabiticly or order of appearence starting from the old one. but still , I have my upgrading game to fix -_- so give me a moment..and no screen shots 4 screenshots per thing isn't nice on me,
Project

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
kathis, please some screenshots! just a few maybe 1 per lesson. I would ask for a demo as well but I guess that would be way too much xD

Rep:
Level 88
-_- YOU OWE ME BIG! -_- I don't like screen shots it means I have to make these events 4 times per lesson then cut them out and everything >< *sighs in defeat* this BETTER be worth it I tell ya -_- for one no one really helps me much on my script requests XD ((is currently looking for a calendar that will go by real time and will contiune to run during the off game time, and able to change the name of the montsh , days, length of days. But still each second = second in life no matter if game is on or off. ) *starts to make the screenshots for the door'   there look under the door post it has 4 screenshots of the FIMISH work -_- if they want to see what the move event is for the lower version just look at my tutirol in words, I won't go nooby and post pictures step by step first of all thats a hell for me mostly because I am doing GENERAL events and thats 4 different rpg makers RIGHT there. secondly I don't feel like going through screenshots and fill up my photobucket account -_-  so ya... if yuo want to take screenshots By all means go ahead I'll post them in but you must have all 4 makers before I'll post 1. that makes it fair  for the other 3. -_- class dismissed for now, *goes hunting down the script I want because heaven knows the help I get around here if I didn't directly ask the scripters themself in pm or on an instaint message.*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:49:05 AM by kathis »
Project

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Lol, you've been here long enough to know that we help each other. ;)
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I had not seen this yet, Kathis. Since you host the RM2k3 challenge, I will trust that you can help me with a problem.

As I said in the challenge's thread, I am unfamiliar with the use of some event commands, such as the choice handlers. I am not sure of how to use the choices and make certain text or other commands appear depending on the choice. For example, I wanted to make a library with many different books that are actually readable to some extent. But I want to give the player the choice of whether they want to read the book or not. I created the handlers, but now what? I tried to make the book's text appear with the "Read" choice, but didn't work. Doesn't matter what I choose, the book's text appears afterwards.

So how can I do this? (I had tried this in XP, but I suppose it's the same for 2k3 here.)

Thank you very much in return!

Rep:
Level 88
*to blizzard ya I know just a bit stressed out ><*

Well my dear it is very simple so I'll help you out.

When you first make your choice option you will see this

This is on the left
[ choice 1 ]
[ choice 2 ]
[ choice 3 ]
[ choice 4 ]

This is on the right

o ignore
o select choice 1
o select choice 2
o select choice 3
o select choice 4
o Execute handler

you input your text for the choices. Now for the right side I have notcied that if you don't placed your "select choice" to the correct number of choices you have it will only display up to that number -_- don't ask it might be a glitch on ever rpg maker I had installed but it gotten into a habit.  I would ignore ignore >.> and the Execute handle is for when someone pushes a cancle guy.

when you have them done you should have something like this if you have 4 chioces and the execute handle selected

Show choices: choice 1/ chocie 2 / choice 3/ choice 4
[choice 1]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 1 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 1...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 2]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 2 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 2...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 3]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 3 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 3...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 4] :handler

(when the hero selects choice 4 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 4...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

cancle :Handler

The hero cannot select this but if they choose their cancle button you know the one that will get out out of the menus and all that then this will be active when they try to chancle a choice. its sorta like an easter egg I guess you can say.

:end

EVERYTHING AFTER HERE WILL SHOW REGARDLESS OF WHAT CHOICE THE HERO CHOOSES

that should cover it.
....NO SCREENSHOTS!
Project

Rep:
Level 88
Students name: Icewolf (not on this forum)
Current rpg maker : PK

question  im trying to make this quest, where you need to give the king a water skin and the king gives you a key in return. Right now if you say, "I have the water skin"
I put down- 1 water skin and +1 key , but id dint have the water skin, so how do i make it so that you have to give a water skin first

conditon branch -_-

wheres that?

Alright Ice this is a very easy thing to fix

first of all you have your king as an event thats good but now you want the condition branch which is should be located on the first page of the event on the left colum the 8th button down, ((for the other rpg makers 2000/2003 its on page 3 right colum 5th down go figure))

your condition should look like this

on xp version (not going to go into thie for 2000/2003) you will see on the fork window PAGE 4 items select your water skin and click the else check box so its checked and hit ok

the space in between  your conditon branch condition and the else is if your player has the water skin.

in here you would put yoru message "I have the waterskin"
then your item removal of the waterskin
and the gainage of your key

at the else condition is will work if you don't have the water skin

"you don't have the waterskin come back to me when you do" ect

end

that should do it.. OH
you might want to add a switch or something after you get the key so the king doesn't repeat the "you don't have the waterskin" part.
Project

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
*to blizzard ya I know just a bit stressed out ><*

Well my dear it is very simple so I'll help you out.

When you first make your choice option you will see this

This is on the left
[ choice 1 ]
[ choice 2 ]
[ choice 3 ]
[ choice 4 ]

This is on the right

o ignore
o select choice 1
o select choice 2
o select choice 3
o select choice 4
o Execute handler

you input your text for the choices. Now for the right side I have notcied that if you don't placed your "select choice" to the correct number of choices you have it will only display up to that number -_- don't ask it might be a glitch on ever rpg maker I had installed but it gotten into a habit.  I would ignore ignore >.> and the Execute handle is for when someone pushes a cancle guy.

when you have them done you should have something like this if you have 4 chioces and the execute handle selected

Show choices: choice 1/ chocie 2 / choice 3/ choice 4
[choice 1]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 1 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 1...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 2]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 2 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 2...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 3]: Handler

(when the hero selects choice 3 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 3...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

[choice 4] :handler

(when the hero selects choice 4 it will show everything in this section BUT ONLY if they select choice 4...unless you have a lable in here that says otherwise.)

cancle :Handler

The hero cannot select this but if they choose their cancle button you know the one that will get out out of the menus and all that then this will be active when they try to chancle a choice. its sorta like an easter egg I guess you can say.

:end

EVERYTHING AFTER HERE WILL SHOW REGARDLESS OF WHAT CHOICE THE HERO CHOOSES

that should cover it.
....NO SCREENSHOTS!

Kathis... A MILLION THANKS! I didn't even think of adding commands between the handlers. XD Silly me. Again, thanks!

Rep:
Level 88
If there are any other questions feel free to put them in here
Project

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Thanks, Kathis. ^^

Well, I have been asking, like crazy, for someone to explain the functions of every (or at least the most used) event command in the program, but no answers to this moment. :(

It's a long task, though. So if you can't do it, I understand. :) But I think it would be helpful. That way we don't get people asking "how do I teleport"? For they will know where to find the command and which command does what.

What do you think?

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I am your Executioner.
I've got a quest  for RMXP PK. I need to know how to make events, i did it one way that was posted a long time ago and it used variables and switches but when i had two totally different events that both used the same type of make up they must have interfered with each other and made it so they didn't work correctly. If you don't mind telling me how to make an event where i have to kill a certain # of things or get a certain amount of items for a quest that would be great. Also if you could tell me how to make an event where i had to talk to a specific person *sorta like relaying messages between NPCs* that would very nice and i'd be very greatfull.
OF HELLS DESIGN. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
XtheExecutioner:

Lets say guy tells you to kill 3 ghosts and bring back their sheets...

In guy event:
-Show choices (Yes,No)
If yes:
-Alright!
 - Turn self switch A on.

-If no:
- Message " Oh well."

EVENT PAGE 2
Top left check self switch A
-Conditional branch: Ghosts blanket = 3 (with else)
- YAY thanks!
-Else:
Go and get them!

_____

Now in the event for the ghosts, add after the "battle processesing":
Change variable: 'ghosts" +1

____

now thats it! Make three ghosts when the all die Variable ghost = 3

When you talk to the guy and varible ghost = 3 you win!

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I am your Executioner.
thats sorta not too much detail but i understand it i will try it and if it doesn't work i will ask again.
OF HELLS DESIGN. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!