RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[TUT] Making groundspikes..

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
This is my first tut  ;D Weeee !!!

Here I will try to teach you how to make spikes that will be rejected with button/switch  so it will go back into the ground..

First of all you need to know how switches are used so it will be a bit easier if you dont know how they work maybe this explains it a bit...

Now using the event layer make a Switch sprite so it will be easy for you to see where the button is  :)
just like in image 1 :D
Also make the spikes that will come out of the ground
Image 1
Spoiler for:

Now we want it to hurt the player if he/she touches it, not ? do something like this..

Image 2
Spoiler for:
First, make something like a flash screen so the player notices something like " Omy GAWD ! I CANT TOUCH THAT ! "
and make it jump away or something.. ( If you dont want that put through ON to OFF so you wont need the jump, I used it because i liked this more. )

Okay lets continue..
Go back to the switch and we will start making the scene of the spikes that will retreat..  :D
Image 3
Spoiler for:
As you can see it turns a switch on the name wont matter but its the number it has..
Also use something like a sound to give it some life :D..

Now make a new page at the Switch event and put conditions to switch That was turned on at the first page..
like this.

Image 4
Spoiler for:

Now we have made the switch to turn everything on

Go back to the spikes event and make a new page here too.
Set the Condition also to the switch that was turned on in image 3.
Now we probably want it to move so it looks very nice wont we ?
So make a move event command that will change graphics and put a pause in-between every one of em so it wont skip so fast as u can see, also an wait + an SELF SWITCH ! this is important so you wont have to make the same event over and over but you can just copy paste it.
Image 5
Spoiler for:

Now we just make an Page 3 and with that put it Through, Condition to If SELF SWITCH A = On, and of course the sprite 

Image 6
Spoiler for:

Hope this helps you and tell me if I forgot something ;D
Have a nice day  :D.

I included a demo if you are not that smart and wanna see it again ( Just kidding )
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:55:44 PM by Snailer »

Rep:
Level 87
Very good tut, it will help out a lot of people.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
may I linky this in tut index?  :o
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Very good tut, it will help out a lot of people.

may I linky this in tut index?  :o

Sure :D

Anymore feedback :) ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:06:32 PM by Snailer »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Lol, I just made an autotile out of it. Decreases lag a lot. ^__^
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
A autotile of this ?
How you mean

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Setting it's terrain tag to a number different than zero and just using a parallel process that checks the player's terrain tag should work out. I mean this is the most efficient way of making spike traps where you get hurt if you walk over.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:15:15 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
 :'(

So no use to my first tut than
Im NEVER GONNA MAKE ONE ANYMORE

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Lol, no. This is a great tute if you want to make "OMG! That switch triggered (a) spike trap(s)! I AM SO DEAD!!!!11oneone" (^__^)
But if you want a "VISIBLE damaging floor", I'd suggest my method.
Visit our website.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
uhm..
OKay whatever
VOTE FOR MY TUT PEOPLE.. ( SHH to blizz )

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Just lol! I like your tute, really. You could actually add that stuff from me and enhance it. But you should try it out yourself first, because it's not enough to only check the player's terrain tag. ;)
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 87
I see that the program I'm using doesn't have "Through", But in the same spot I have "Phasing". Are these two terms synonyms?

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
I beat Twilight Princess faster than you
Phasing = through, they're used interchangably.

Question: I'm using a caterpillar script. When I walk over the floorspikes, the party leader jumps back, but if he walks away, everyone else also jumps and it looks quite silly. I'm using the Fukuyama's script... anyone got an idea?
Current Project ~ Avatar: The Last Airbender RPG
Just as a note, I fully understand variables and switches, so there's no need to treat me like a noob :D

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I see that the program I'm using doesn't have "Through", But in the same spot I have "Phasing". Are these two terms synonyms?

Its just the same

Phasing = through, they're used interchangably.

Question: I'm using a caterpillar script. When I walk over the floorspikes, the party leader jumps back, but if he walks away, everyone else also jumps and it looks quite silly. I'm using the Fukuyama's script... anyone got an idea?

And I dont have a clue why that happens.
Maybe you can just do it so you wont jump but only take damage but that looks silly though

Rep:
Level 87
I like your tut! I do like to use scripts for stuff too, but sometimes it is nice to have something like this to keep it simple. Espcially for all the people who don't understand scripts. I myself am still learning so its nice to have options. THANKS again. and you better not stop making tuts, b/c where would newbies be w/o nice people like you who tell us how to do cool stuff we would never figure out on our own. ;8

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
 ;D
Thanks for the compliments
But I ran out of ideas for a tut already XD
Ever need to know something ill be happy to tut it
UPDATE TO THE TUT !

Changed my type error Witches to switches
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:55:27 PM by Snailer »