RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
City Tutorial for the Average Mapper

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
City Tutorial for the Average Mapper

Note: This tut requires that you have a good amount of knowlage using the Farming Town Exterior tileset, and that your an average mapper :P

So, you have this game, scripts, charactors maps etc. etc. but one problem! You still need to make the city (town) you charactor starts with!!!!

That's why I wrote this tut, I've seen some people complaining about how to make a city, you'll know now, take a look.

Ok, firstly, when starting a city or village, you generally want to start with the area it's in, is it near some plains? Then keep it flat, near a mountan path? Go hilly. In this perticular tutorial, I'll use a hilly landscape.

Tip: Look in your time period your game is in too, if it's set in the future, then little to no water, medieval, then more water, because people usually settle in places where they can get food and water eaisilly.

Now, let's start:

1. Let's use the Farming Town Exterior tileset. Set your map to 60x40. Fill it with just plain green grass. Now, you need to think of a few things, if you have a world map plan then follow it, if your town is in the corner of your world then surround it with water, if your town is in the middle of land, then keep it with just small streams and ponds, if you're town is surrounded by forest, then cover it with trees.

2. Now, I'm going to make a town, with a stream leading to a lake at the bottom, and mountinous at the top. Put in your high ground first, like so:

Note: I like to make something like an entrance in-between the mountains, refer to the screnshot.

3. Now, for the stream, you may need to go into the database and change one of the autotiles into a waterfall, do so and swtich the 40-Ground01 into Waterfall01.

Now that that's over with, use the water tile and make a simple little pond on one of your mountains. Now, take the waterfall tile and put it over the edge of your mountain. Now you have a nice waterfall, but wait, if you zoom in on the end of it you'll see a small patch of grass as if you were using a grassy mountain tile!

Theres only one solution, cover it up! Use a tree or something, refer to the screenshot. Now all you need to finish it off, use the water tileset to go around the perimeter of your city, all the way to the corner. Refer to the screenshot.

4. Now, let's do some minor detail touch ups. Add some dark grass, and the yellow grass, use the pencil tool and just spaz out on the first layer, don't forget the mountain tops, just don't spaz too much.

Tip: put the most yellow grass near the entrance to buildings and the entrance to your city, only because when lots of people walk around on grass eventually it just wears out.

Now, start to plan out where your gunna put things like enviromental items, like a treaure chest. Let's do one on the left mountain, we need some way to get up there so let's make a staircase, but screw, it's only in grass, so, just make your moauntian grassy. You'll end up with something like this:

Use events and stuff to make a chest, now, let's make some trees, you guessed it, spaz.

Too many? Maybe, but I won't be afraid to wipe them out once I start with houses. Also, you'll need to put your different grass on the third layer on the mountains, don't be afarid to take the grass out when putting in trees.

Ok, that'll be it for now, more touch-ups will be done later.

5. You guessed it, time for some housing, now, in a town put houses spaced out, in a whole city, near each other. I'm making a village so I'll do... four houses, just take out the doors. Now,add the windows to them, make sure they're all thrid layer.

6. Every town has a historical thing, like a statue or a marketplace...what a great idea!

Now, let's make it unusual, different, try making your house elongated, and add a straight poll in the middle, it'll be our weapon/item shop and inn for this town.

Tip: Remember, important is usually big, when making something historic or important in the form of  a building just remember that.

7. Now it's starting up! Since this is a Farm Village let's put in some animal pens. Use the fence tile and make something round near a house or two. 

Every farm town has a well, so put one at the center of town.

8. Lastly, the extra stuff, try to make it interesting, maybe someone buried a loved one on the mountain top, people put scarecrows near crops? What about some small hills around, more grass spazing? What about the people??? The doors for the houses! A road that goes through town!

Ok, added with all this you should finish with something that looks like this:

Nice huh? Now, here's a veiw of the layers.

Layer 1:

Layer 2:

Layer 3:

That's it, comments and results are apprechiated!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:16:13 PM by keyblade_bearer »

Rep:
Level 88
EVIL DOGGY!!!! CATS RULE!
Wow quite helpful for the more newbie mappers in here. I don't need this tutorial as I am already experienced enough to make towns but this will surely help others. Good job!

[Edit]: You know what this is actually so good I'll give you a rep point :D
DO NOT LOOK HERE!!!!!
WHY DID YOU LOOK!!! YOU DISOBEDIENT FOOL

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Wow, really cool tutorial! Thanks!
This will help many people..

Rep:
Level 88
Welcome and welcome, lol, I made a better one but I didn't rememer how I made it :P

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
pretty nice.  :D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Tutorial Database? Anyone?

*coughmodcough*

Rep:
Level 88
Lol I agree, this should go in Tutorial Database.
[Edit]:There you go see! Wishes come true!
DO NOT LOOK HERE!!!!!

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
*cough*...*cough*
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 88
Lol, thank you!

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
can I link you in the tut index under maps?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 88
Wow, this is really good tut! I'll use it later..but..there were a few problems, but still good overall!
Games in progress:
Tome of Arastovia: 7% complete at 2 hours of gametime

Rep:
Level 88
Oh BTW with link is broken. Doesn't work anymore for some odd reason  :-\
DO NOT LOOK HERE!!!!!

Rep:
Level 88
Ah, stupid Filefront, I'll take it out.

Rep:
Level 88
Patriots all the way!!
I am having a problem with this...my map is huge!!! And its all screwed up when I try to add stuff to it ??? Im using the 60x40 grid
Im to cool to have my own signature!!!

Rep:
Level 88
Um, well, I said it was for Skilled mappers, plus, you need to zoom out by using the tool buttons at the top.

Rep:
Level 88
Patriots all the way!!
Yeh....I knew about the zooming thing or w/e but Im to noob for you  ;D
Im to cool to have my own signature!!!

Rep:
Level 88
Too n00b for me?

No, lol, I'm not really that great, once I can script mildly well, make a decent tileset and learn some new teachniqiues then, yes.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Lol. Again a lovly tutorial which everyone can understand. One of many upcoming mappers I see!

Good luck,
Darico